Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Based on what?[/QUOTE]

Based on AC having abandoned YEG on the LHR route previously and on DEN, on LAX, and on ORD.....the latter 3 all served currently by others. AC has a poor track record of providing service in YEG. The reality is that others make routes work that AC would prefer us to fly on via Calgary!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Don't get carried away here .... TPAC into YEG?
Can I take the over 20.5 years on that one?
For a while there I thought they were going to 'hub' both YYC and YEG...really.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:48 pm

Seems you're quick to cast doubt and be the MMQB to peoples' opinion/perspective on this thread. What's your opinion? Or, Do you just let's us know what happened once the cards are turned over?

Based on what?
I don't have an opinion on YEG. Willing to take any reason at face value. Never been there and probably never will go there either - domestic air travel offers terrible value for money . Stands to reason that if the economic situation is as dire as some say, AC would drop it like its hot at the first sign of trouble. FI has a little more flex.

As for the latter, based on YOW-FRA.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Based on AC having abandoned YEG on the LHR route previously and on DEN, on LAX, and on ORD.....the latter 3 all served currently by others. AC has a poor track record of providing service in YEG. The reality is that others make routes work that AC would prefer us to fly on via Calgary!
What is the track record of AC serving YEGLHR?
Did they seasonally cancel it in the years prior to FI/KLM?
Honest question, I don't know. Might be a better forecast foundation than service handoffs to UA into UA's Global hubs
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Not comparable at all IMO.
AC maintained (increased*) YOWLHR after cutting Winter FRA. YEG's largest TATL o/d is London.

I honestly feel AC would have squeezed EIAA for more concessions but maintained YEGLHR in Winter 3*w or something if they were the lone carrier. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:59 pm

Not comparable at all IMO.
AC maintained (increased*) YOWLHR after cutting Winter FRA. YEG's largest TATL o/d is London.

I honestly feel AC would have squeezed EIAA for more concessions but maintained YEGLHR in Winter 3*w or something if they were the lone carrier. Just my opinion.
YOW-LHR increased? They were at daily while YOW-FRA was 5 weekly. And they're still, at best, daily.Is there a second flight now?

Yeah, I don't buy it. YOW-FRA and YEG-LHR were always cited as marginal routes - even as far back as the EK threads 5 years ago. Both have disappeared in winter. Only one can be attributed to FI.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

I agree. I think they would have seen some traction out of YVR for those avoiding the HD...just as I sometimes grab the 330 out of YYC.

The whole debacle of the FI thing really showed EIAA's true colours. Do anything to bring in a new carrier...even screwing your current carriers. Maybe they'll even say AMS is the best place to connect to Europe now, since REK can be cold in the winter.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
I agree. I think they would have seen some traction out of YVR for those avoiding the HD...just as I sometimes grab the 330 out of YYC.

The whole debacle of the FI thing really showed EIAA's true colours. Do anything to bring in a new carrier...even screwing your current carriers. Maybe they'll even say AMS is the best place to connect to Europe now, since REK can be cold in the winter.
AC would have kept YEG-LHR to cannibalize its HD service? To what end? Lose the direct flight premium?

YYZ does the same thing to AC by offering inducements to foreign carriers. Shocking.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:04 pm

YOW-LHR increased? They were at daily while YOW-FRA was 5 weekly. And they're still, at best, daily.
AC TATL 2014 Winter ops ex YOW was something like 5*LHR, 4*FRA.
They cut 4*FRA and increased LHR to daily.
Now, you mentioned upthread YOWLHR was less than daily, not sure what you mean or if yo're referring to Winter schedule?
Regardless, YOW added LHR frequencies this Winter YoY mitigating some of the lost capacity to Frankfurt
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:12 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
YEG will decline in 2015 YoY. Is this even up for debate? Lower numbers YoY is the definition of decline, right? Where am I?

What?
Where are you? You're focused on the short term. My point is that an airport is an infrastructure asset that serves a community for decades and its success or failure should be measured over a longer term horizon. To take two months' data, or even a projected one-year decline in passenger numbers and then make a big picture statement that the airport is 'declining' misses the broader trends which is what I'm trying to focus on. The bottom line for me is that for a North American city of Edmonton's size, YEG punches well above its weight both in terms of passenger numbers and connectivity.

Are YEG passenger numbers 'declining' in 2015. Yes. Have YEG passenger numbers been 'declining' over the past multi-year period? No. Will YEG 'decline' over the next five years? Possibly, but probably not. Within that context I think it is misleading to describe YEG as a "declining" airport by focusing on one year when it is the responsibility of EIAA to think over decades. When I think of a 'declining' airport, I think of Mirabel in the 1990's, the Edmonton municipal airport post-consolidation, Hamilton after Westjet moved to YYZ; I'm not thinking of an airport which has one bad year.

I'm getting the feeling that this is boiling down to semantics.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:16 pm

AC TATL 2014 Winter ops ex YOW was something like 5*LHR, 4*FRA.
They cut 4*FRA and increased LHR to daily.
Now, you mentioned upthread YOWLHR was less than daily, not sure what you mean or if yo're referring to Winter schedule?
Regardless, YOW added LHR frequencies this Winter YoY mitigating some of the lost capacity to Frankfurt
Pretty sure 888/889 was daily with some Monday's off in winter 2014. And in 2013 winter, pretty sure it was daily. Ditto for the winters before that. YoY TATL has declined significantly even in winter. Anywhere between 30 and 50%
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Based on what?
Based on AC having abandoned YEG on the LHR route previously and on DEN, on LAX, and on ORD.....the latter 3 all served currently by others. AC has a poor track record of providing service in YEG. The reality is that others make routes work that AC would prefer us to fly on via Calgary![/QUOTE]

or not fly at all using AC as one of them is served by rogue, or even YYZ/YUL in the case of DEN

I don't have an opinion on YEG. Willing to take any reason at face value. Never been there and probably never will go there either - domestic air travel offers terrible value for money . Stands to reason that if the economic situation is as dire as some say, AC would drop it like its hot at the first sign of trouble. FI has a little more flex.

but I have seen domestic addons for international fare components be as low as $50+tax+YQ with international baggage allowance permitted (admittedly, this matters much more only when flying WS.)
(examples: CX/CI fares, though I do not fly CI.)

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by jbb
....it is misleading to describe YEG as a "declining" airport by focusing on one year.....
YEG has only declined for two months, January and February.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
Of course you don't get the comparison because you don't live in YEG. EIAA does not exist to pander to non-Edmontonians.

AC and EIAA have vastly different business goals. Thank goodness.
By that logic, you would have even LESS airport traffic as no one would connect there or want to visit there (then again, the latter part has some resemblance of truth )
That logic works so well that HKG is considering the $141.5 billion 3rd runway, due to the increase in usage (and therefore retail spending) mainly by people NOT from HK.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:34 pm

Pretty sure 888/889 was daily with some Monday's off in winter 2014. And in 2013 winter, pretty sure it was daily. Ditto for the winters before that. YoY TATL has declined significantly even in winter. Anywhere between 30 and 50%
While it's a shame he doesn't post here often anymore, there might not be a more knowledgeable person around for AC Network ops than ac-YUL .... So, I'll refer you to his post from August 2014
Originally Posted by ac-YUL
YOW-LHR will remain daily all winter this year - in the past, it has been reduced to 5-6 weekly in the lower demand periods of the winter.
Originally Posted by jbb
Where are you? You're focused on the short term. My point is that an airport is an infrastructure asset that serves a community for decades and its success or failure should be measured over a longer term horizon. To take two months' data, or even a projected one-year decline in passenger numbers and then make a big picture statement that the airport is 'declining' misses the broader trends which is what I'm trying to focus on. The bottom line for me is that for a North American city of Edmonton's size, YEG punches well above its weight both in terms of passenger numbers and connectivity.

Are YEG passenger numbers 'declining' in 2015. Yes. Have YEG passenger numbers been 'declining' over the past multi-year period? No. Will YEG 'decline' over the next five years? Possibly, but probably not. Within that context I think it is misleading to describe YEG as a "declining" airport by focusing on one year when it is the responsibility of EIAA to think over decades. When I think of a 'declining' airport, I think of Mirabel in the 1990's, the Edmonton municipal airport post-consolidation, Hamilton after Westjet moved to YYZ; I'm not thinking of an airport which has one bad year.

I'm getting the feeling that this is boiling down to semantics.
Good post. I see your point.
We're discussing KLM/AC/FI and their network decisions in the very near future. Hard to have a discussion about the market realities impacting KLM's intentions this Summer/Winter with a 5-year view as a backdrop. I'm only looking at YoY actuals/projections to determine if we're in a decline.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.