Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

AC increases YYC-LHR, decreases YEG-LHR for S15

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I don't think any city has boosters like Edmonton has boosters. Every press release that is even the least bit positive for YEG gets posted here almost instantly. So when there is actual bad news, it's not surprising to see the YEG contingent get their buttons pushed hard. Maybe ease up a little.
Well said.

I'm from YYZ and live in YVR. I'll be the first to criticize both when warranted, as well as sing praises.

Criticizing YEG on FT borders on dangerous. People have been brain washed by the useless 'organization' trying to run the airport.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by jbus
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuw...ge-cao-impasse

They're cutting a total of 22 weekly frequencies including YEG, YYZ, BKK, GIG among others.

Do you reckon YYZ, BKK, and GIG are struggling markets too?
BKK certainly has declined since last years political unrest/coup. My friends that live there have really noticed the change and some are thinking of leaving for HCMC. Not the base economy so much, but tourism.

GIG is certainly in trouble for 2015. http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/17/news...dity-collapse/
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jbus
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuw...ge-cao-impasse

They're cutting a total of 22 weekly frequencies including YEG, YYZ, BKK, GIG among others.

Do you reckon YYZ, BKK, and GIG are struggling markets too?
Cutting some weekly frequencies to (no doubt) lower yielding markets is not the same as delaying the start-up of a new route. Toronto, Rio passengers might have to move a day forward/back. Edmonton passengers don't know when (if?) their route will start.

Hardly the same.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
... People have been brain washed by the useless 'organization' trying to run the airport.
As opposed to the wonderful YYZ?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
As opposed to the wonderful YYZ?
I don't get the comparison.

YYZ continues to get new routes, that frankly even surprise me.

YEG continues it's decline.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

An airport that set a new passenger traffic record in 2014 and has been seen strong growth since consolidation is declining?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
An airport that set a new passenger traffic record in 2014 and has been seen strong growth since consolidation is declining?
You are quoting calendar 2014 which had 8.2 mill pax.

The rolling 12 month average is 7.3 mill pax, which starts to takes in to account the new reality in the Northern Alberta economy, AC's cutbacks, FI's entry.

YEG in total, Feb 15 is down 1.4% and year to date is down 1%, so far.

I would classify this as YEG decline.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote from KLM spokesperson in article

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?rel=847766

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reason: fix link
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:03 pm

Of course you don't get the comparison because you don't live in YEG. EIAA does not exist to pander to non-Edmontonians.

AC and EIAA have vastly different business goals. Thank goodness.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:11 pm

Of course you don't get the comparison because you don't live in YEG. EIAA does not exist to pander to non-Edmontonians.
Honestly that is just a stupid statement. Just because one does not live in a city doesn't mean they don't understand airports and airlines.

AC and EIAA have vastly different business goals. Thank goodness.
Ya, I guess AC's is to make money. Who knows what the EIAA is trying to do? Alienating what should be by far your largest and most important customer is truly crazy IMO.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I would classify this as YEG decline.
Since we're talking international service international departures are up 17.3% for the first two months of this year compared to last.

http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de..._report_p1.pdf
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:14 pm

Ya, I guess AC's is to make money. Who knows what the EIAA is trying to do? Alienating what should be by far your largest and most important customer is truly crazy IMO.
EIAA serves Edmonton not AC.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:20 pm Reason: personal invective
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Since we're talking international service international departures are up 17.3% for the first two months of this year compared to last.

http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de..._report_p1.pdf
Overall the airport is in decline. Int'l makes up the smallest portion of passenger numbers (not departures), even including FBO operations.

EIAA serves Edmonton not AC.
...but HOW are they serving Edmonton by getting ASM's dropped by Canada's largest and the 9th largest fleet in the world?

Don't get me wrong here guys...I wish AC and the EIAA got along and AC were starting new routes out of YEG monthly...it would only help me in my travels.

I'm pissed that the EIAA thinks they are doing a service to Western Canada and Edmontonians by aiding FI and KL enter the market while AC leaves.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:24 pm

Insofar as YEG and what is best for Edmonton and area travellers who pay the overwhelming majority of the AIF and rely upon YEG as their home airport, you don't know what you're talking about.

It has been abundantly clear for many years that AC treats Edmonton like Lucy treated Charley Brown with the football. Always lots of promises....

AC has cast their lot with YYC and YYZ. I don't see it changing much although I wonder about the YYC strategy in the short term with the wave after wave of white-collar lay-offs.

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:38 pm

Insofar as YEG and what is best for Edmonton and area travellers who pay the overwhelming majority of the AIF and rely upon YEG as their home airport, you don't know what you're talking about.

It has been abundantly clear for many years that AC treats Edmonton like Lucy treated Charley Brown with the football. Always lots of promises....

AC has cast their lot with YYC and YYZ. I don't see it changing much although I wonder about the YYC strategy in the short term with the wave after wave of white-collar lay-offs.
Well I guess ultimately you'll get what you wish for...diminished service on sub-par carriers. Maybe you'll get some new charter services?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.