FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YVR - HNL Business (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1651030-yvr-hnl-business.html)

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 5:16 am

YVR - HNL Business

Hey there people, can anyone who has flown this route in business give me a bit of an idea of whether its worth the extra funds? it's the only direct flight I can see and at about $1,000CAD for a September departure I think its fairly reasonable on face value.

Any and all comments are much appreciated.

cperciva Jan 31, 2015 5:57 am

Air Canada does not operate a business class cabin on YVR-HNL.

They do offer a Premium Rouge service, but it's absolutely not the same thing.

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 6:14 am

thank you for raising that.

after a quick glance online I can't see much of a difference as you still have access to the MLL, 2x23kg bags each and bigger seats.

is it generally just a smaller more budget option similar to QF/JQ?

YWG-RO Jan 31, 2015 6:23 am

I would not pay for premium rogue. I avoid rogue whenever possible. This is somewhat comparable to premium economy. Couldn't even imagine flying to Europe on these slave ships. 5 h back from HI recently was horrible.

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 6:30 am

what exactly is so poor about them? would it still be better than economy in rouge? my other option is flying with AS via SEA

Often1 Jan 31, 2015 6:56 am

Originally Posted by garethlewis (Post 24266851)
what exactly is so poor about them? would it still be better than economy in rouge? my other option is flying with AS via SEA

He' talking about rogue and you ae talkng aot rouge. Maybe that's the problem!

BlondeBomber Jan 31, 2015 7:00 am

you don't have much choice on this run so $1000 isn't bad for what you get. Premium Rouge on 767 should be tolerable just as First is on UA from SFO-HNL. Food may even be better on AC.

PLeblond Jan 31, 2015 7:09 am

Originally Posted by garethlewis (Post 24266790)
thank you for raising that.

after a quick glance online I can't see much of a difference as you still have access to the MLL, 2x23kg bags each and bigger seats.

is it generally just a smaller more budget option similar to QF/JQ?

Your assessment of QF/JQ is pretty close. But around here, finding an unbiased opinion will be difficult.

The 'Business' seats on the 767s are old style loungers. Air Canada Main line has individual, lie-flat pods. Its basically a bigger seat, food, and drinks. Since your other option is AS via SEA is a 737, and would require a connection, the seats are basically the same. I have not experienced AS's service, but I would doubt its worth an extra connection. The Rouge in J Its probably equal to AS's so if the price is the the same and it saves you a connection, I would go with that.

Many people around here will take anything else than Rouge just to make a point, or out of spite, but in my personal opinion, a Rouge 767 in J beats or is equivalent the US carriers 737/757*/767*(domestic Hawaii)/777*(domestic Hawaii) similar offerings.

I hope that helps.

*unless you can get an international style lie flat.

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 7:10 am

I should state that personally I would take the cheapest option available but as it's part of the journey for picking up a honeymoon cruise in HNL it's moreso for my missus who isn't fond of flying so any luxury will be most appreciated such as MLL access a bit more baggage.

It seems that basically it's a good option as the only other option is AS which doesn't even have a premium lounge.

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 7:16 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24266972)
Your assessment of QF/JQ is pretty close. But around here, finding an unbiased opinion will be difficult.

The 'Business' seats on the 767s are old style loungers. Air Canada Main line has individual, lie-flat pods. Its basically a bigger seat, food, and drinks. Since your other option is AS via SEA is a 737, and would require a connection, the seats are basically the same. I have not experienced AS's service, but I would doubt its worth an extra connection. The Rouge in J Its probably equal to AS's so if the price is the the same and it saves you a connection, I would go with that.

Many people around here will take anything else than Rouge just to make a point, or out of spite, but in my personal opinion, a Rouge 767 in J beats or is equivalent the US carriers 737/757*/767*(domestic Hawaii)/777*(domestic Hawaii) similar offerings.

I hope that helps.

Thank you, much appreciated

PLeblond Jan 31, 2015 7:24 am

Originally Posted by garethlewis (Post 24266977)
I should state that personally I would take the cheapest option available but as it's part of the journey for picking up a honeymoon cruise in HNL it's moreso for my missus who isn't fond of flying so any luxury will be most appreciated such as MLL access a bit more baggage.

It seems that basically it's a good option as the only other option is AS which doesn't even have a premium lounge.

There's a 1000 page thread here with all the information you could every want about Rouge.

I wouldn't call it 'luxury' by any means, but again, its on part with Domestic US 'F'. The staff are younger and hired for a more family/leisure traveller than geared toward the frequent flyer or the business traveller. I found them to be smiling and eager, although laking in polish. Some feedback says that they tend to disappear on longer flights, but I have no problem in getting up to get my wine glass filled should I so desire.

Food is the same as AC mainline, so OK.

As a last point, since its a 767, a bigger wide-body is usually better for people who don't like to fly, compared to a 737.

garethlewis Jan 31, 2015 7:28 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24267007)
There's a 1000 page thread here with all the information you could every want about Rouge.

I wouldn't call it 'luxury' by any means, but again, its on part with Domestic US 'F'. The staff are younger and hired for a more family/leisure traveller than geared toward the frequent flyer or the business traveller. I found them to be smiling and eager, although laking in polish. Some feedback says that they tend to disappear on longer flights, but I have no problem in getting up to get my wine glass filled should I so desire.

Food is the same as AC mainline, so OK.

As a last point, since its a 767, a bigger wide-body is usually better for people who don't like to fly, compared to a 737.

For our purposes it all sounds perfectly fine

After Burner Jan 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24266972)

I hope that helps.

AS is pretty unspectacular, minimal domestic front cabin seats. However, there's another consideration that ranks high for me in their favour. AS has a daytime outbound flight. I can tolerate sitting upright on a daytime flight but for overnight I find those seats impossible to sleep in.

Several Vancouver people have told me they routinely drive to Bellingham for a nonstop AS flight.

HerpaYvr Jan 31, 2015 12:29 pm

As an option if you are going to OGG AC Mainline flies YYC-OGG and they have real J class ( PODS)

Many folks do the 20 minute drive to Bellingham for the cheaper parking and the cheaper flights on Alaska to HNL or the extra hour and half to SEA where you have a lot of choices.

If you are a veteran of the old pineapples then Rouge will be a big upgrade and you will not notice much change. :D

Wpgjetse Jan 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Was on this flight a couple weeks ago. The food and service was good and being able to sit beside my wife made the trip more enjoyable. I did bailed out on the return flight because it was over night. Returned home via YYC from Maui because that flight has pods. I would spend the money again for YVR to HNL flight.