Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At other lounges, I generally only see people taking dirty plates back to the buffet - and in those cases I ask the staff to intervene because it's more of a cultural problem vs being selfish and dumb, although there are exceptions like the fool in the LAX *A Lounge last week who refused the manager's instructions to get a clean plate - twice - and told the manager he didn't have to - and then had to be threatened with expulsion from the lounge if they did not comply. That one needed a good yelling-at, but he was expelled before I got there, but the manager was telling me the story while I had him chasing other customers who were taking back dirty plates. He felt it was a losing battle, so they are considering multi-lingual signs at the buffet with instructions, or explaining the buffet rules as people are checked into the lounge.
I think this is a fault of the times. Everyone is being told to recycle and reuse in a lot of eateries so reusing your plate has become the norm. I know in a lot of Chinese hawker centers that you are told to bring back your plate/bowl if you want a refill of rice or soup or drink. Although needing to be repeatedly reminded is bad.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Something I had suggested (also with a please and thank you and a cherry on top with whipped cream) of the YYZ MLL manager - my suggestion/request was denied on the spot and not even acknowledged for consideration. She said something about "not being allowed to...".
I had this exact conversation with the Amex Plat lounge manager at IAH - he told me that he wanted to put up signs and Amex marketing went nuts and said they needed to design, review, approve and install the signs themselves - he was very annoyed, and gave me tacit approval to report the lounge issue to the county board of health as we both felt a surprise inspection and fine would be very helpful in kicking the marketing department forward with the project.

Does Canada have health inspectors that check restaurants and other public food places? From what I've seen, they could probably just station someone in the various MLL lounges full time to document violations.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I had this exact conversation with the Amex Plat lounge manager at IAH - he told me that he wanted to put up signs and Amex marketing went nuts and said they needed to design, review, approve and install the signs themselves - he was very annoyed, and gave me tacit approval to report the lounge issue to the county board of health as we both felt a surprise inspection and fine would be very helpful in kicking the marketing department forward with the project.

Does Canada have health inspectors that check restaurants and other public food places? From what I've seen, they could probably just station someone in the various MLL lounges full time to document violations.
There are local health authorities that have inspectors or will send inspectors based on complaints (via phone) from the public. For the YVR lounges it would be Vancouver Coastal Health. I've contacted them before and they have been quick to respond within a week with their inspectors findings (or lack of). Granted, that was for a regular sit down restaurant, although an MLL in the airport would fall under similar food safety requirements.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

@bocastephen

LOL, yes, marketing needs motivating. IIRC, this conversation about food safety etc came before at @flyquiet posted a link to the Health Department of Peel Region, which is the area where YYZ (Person Airport) is located.

I went looking and it's actually an interesting site with a link to Food Safety - Region of Peel

https://www.peelregion.ca/health/environNew/food/

which has a link to the Government of Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act (which I found quite detailed and interesting)

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulati...990%2C+reg+493

The thing is of course and others can correct me, I assume each MLL is under the jurisdiction of the city/state/province (and equivalents for LHR, CDG and FRA) where it is located and is inspected and receives its approval to operate and serve food etc from the local governments.

And, while the MLLs and the firm that staffs and operates them obviously have regulations to follow when it comes to food prep and safety, I have no idea who is responsible for "Annoying passengers in the MLL" who may touch food with their hands or whatever other behaviours that may affect food safety in the MLLs.

I think part of it is the reluctance of the Compass staff to challenge a pax, with the possible exception of YVR Dom where I have seen a staff person here and there tell someone to use the utensils and not put their hands in the food.

And of course, there are those who will stare down or lecture others with regard to bad behavior. Can be amusing for a few seconds, like an MLL version of live IFE.

My observation is the biggest difference between them and the MLLs in YYZ, YVR and LAX for example is the staffing, both the number of staff working in the food areas and their training in keeping people's hands out of the food.

But make no mistake, the MLL is nowhere near the worst of them, at least compared to the nonsense I've seen in the exec lounges at the Hilton and Westin LAX.

Last edited by 24left; Jul 17, 2019 at 1:19 pm Reason: Correction: AC uses Compass but previously used Sodexo
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I will note that, IME, the MLL staff tend to be relatively aggressive about collecting >=80% used plates from tables if you blink.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Health inspection varies from province to province. My experience has been its usually the health region that is responsible for licensing and inspecting food region as well as running hospitals and other care facilities. They have a vested interest.

As for signs, years ago we designed a piece of software for a major retailer. The store manages wanted to put up signs and were constant fights with the marketing team on how the signs looked. It forced all the signs to have a marketing approved background and layout but lowed store staff to provide content. Such systems exist and are critical for corporate peace.

Back to AC. I will admit I am probably and evil person. If I am going for cookies I will reuse the plate. If am going for something wet, stickly or greasy (i.e. the limited selection of non-junk food), I will get a new plate.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's return to the thread topic rather than continuing the health & safety policy discussion.

tcook052
AC forum moderator.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I will note that, IME, the MLL staff tend to be relatively aggressive about collecting >=80% used plates from tables if you blink.
I was in the TB lounge at YYZ yesterday early evening and watched a nonstop parade of dirty dishes back and forth, with some people taking their dirty dishes back multiple times, and the staff, most of whom don't speak english or appear clueless, did nothing to stop them and a senior manager or supervisor was nowhere to be found. I was there early and had my fill of stuff from new untouched serving trays, and just didn't go back for anything else once the lounge got busy and the dirty dish parade started.

So, thank you all for your tips on the health department, I will be calling in my complaint today.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Quick update - I filed a report with the Peel health inspection folks, and they were sufficiently disgusted by the report to write me back and confirm inspectors will be fanning out to all MLL locations over the next few days and weeks to check for, well, annoying passengers in the MLL (and ignorant staff) who are violating the law.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
who are violating the law.
... regulations with the force of law.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:12 pm

Quick update - I filed a report with the Peel health inspection folks, and they were sufficiently disgusted by the report to write me back and confirm inspectors will be fanning out to all MLL locations over the next few days and weeks to check for, well, annoying passengers in the MLL (and ignorant staff) who are violating the law.
Using a clean plate for each visit (variable international regulations about that) for me isn’t as important as dwell times / temperature / cross contamination from inadequate serving utensils and the policy for AC to scrape leftovers into the next serving dish. The former may be yuck factor but the rest are potentially serious causes of food borne illness.
mapleg, canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by lallied
Using a clean plate for each visit (variable international regulations about that) for me isn’t as important as dwell times / temperature / cross contamination from inadequate serving utensils and the policy for AC to scrape leftovers into the next serving dish. The former may be yuck factor but the rest are potentially serious causes of food borne illness.
Well, it sounds like the inspectors will have a lot to do during their visit....as a bonus, maybe we will be super lucky and get a well-timed visit from the infamous Serving-Spoon Licking Lady during an inspection, that should really spice up someone's report.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, it sounds like the inspectors will have a lot to do during their visit....as a bonus, maybe we will be super lucky and get a well-timed visit from the infamous Serving-Spoon Licking Lady during an inspection, that should really spice up someone's report.
Hopefully that serving-spoon-licking lady is not one of those idiots who are licking tubs of ice cream in stores and then putting them back on the shelves. So many idiots.....so little time....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

This guy looks comfortable. Also, as mentioned in the MLL thread there’s a lady vaping in here. Keep it classy, YYZ
douglasr likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
This guy looks comfortable. Also, as mentioned in the MLL thread there’s a lady vaping in here. Keep it classy, YYZ

Summertime travel sees this not only in the lounges but also in the air. Sigh...
douglasr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.