Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL

Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL

Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't get it.
The implication I was getting at with the joke was that the passenger in question here decided to make an entire section of the MLL their own private suite by draping cables, clothing, etc. around the area. Clearly, the passenger here went one step further than simply draping putting their bag on the adjacent chair.

Out of curiosity does AC have any policies/rules to prevent such spectacles? While this behaviour might be ok if the MLL is empty, having been to MLLs recently, they tend to be somewhat crowded and such a hog could quite possibly make the lounge unusable unless you are a bit (passive) aggressive with them.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The implication I was getting at with the joke was that the passenger in question here decided to make an entire section of the MLL their own private suite by draping cables, clothing, etc. around the area. Clearly, the passenger here went one step further than simply draping putting their bag on the adjacent chair.

Out of curiosity does AC have any policies/rules to prevent such spectacles? While this behaviour might be ok if the MLL is empty, having been to MLLs recently, they tend to be somewhat crowded and such a hog could quite possibly make the lounge unusable unless you are a bit (passive) aggressive with them.

Safe Travels,

James
That leads me to another question.

MLLs tend to have seats in groups of 4 (at least in YYZ). When the lounge is empty, you naturally move to an empty group of 4. When it fills up, more people will come, and take the diagonally opposite seat in the group of 4.

Then I come in as part of a group of 4, there are 50 seats open, but only in diagonally-opposite pairs.

Even if you aren't covering the other seats, should you really be taking a seat in an empty 4-block when there are other seats available?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Even if you aren't covering the other seats, should you really be taking a seat in an empty 4-block when there are other seats available?
If I wanted to talk to people, I would't have become a computer nerd, now would I?
tcook052, expert7700 and douglasr like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:32 pm

MLLs tend to have seats in groups of 4 (at least in YYZ). When the lounge is empty, you naturally move to an empty group of 4. When it fills up, more people will come, and take the diagonally opposite seat in the group of 4.

Then I come in as part of a group of 4, there are 50 seats open, but only in diagonally-opposite pairs.

Those are valid points. However, in my experience being at MLLs, they are often crowded as is (esp YYZ DOM) that sometimes you may have no option but to sit in an empty 4-block. Even when a 4 block is partially occupied, it may not be appropriate to sit there as there may be numerous glasses and dirty service items on the table beside the chair. I don't know about you but I won't sit beside a table full of dirty dishes and cups.

A pet-peeve of mine are those who leave dirty service items (i.e. glasses, plates) sitting when they're done with them. Sure someone from the lounge will come by and pick it up but it could be 10-20 minutes before that happens, particularly if they are busy. It only takes a minute to take your dirty items and deposit them on the dirty service items tray. I have not seen this behaviour in Asia (i.e. NH lounges at TYO) which leads me to believe that this must be a North American/European thing. That being said, over in Asia they make it very clear where you can leave your dirty service items, at the MLLs it is often a bit more tricky to find that spot to deposit your dirty service items. This complaint could be extended for other items left behind that make the lounge seating area untenable for many (i.e. discarded newspapers, magazines and nail clippers I once saw BLECH!)

At some point loungers need to realize this is not club med, but rather a business lounge occupied by frequent travellers who don't have the time to deal with other people's nonsense.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:23 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium

Yes, it's not assigned seating..
If I see a group of 4 and know , if by me moving to another seat , they can sit together , then I proactively move and let them know.

I can't recall the last time I've seen a group of 4 though , I would call that 2 groups of 2
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Whats to say there wasnt 3 other people in the 4-block that just got up and left me behind alone?

Even still, Ill always choose an empty block for myself and happily move to accommodate a group of 4 if I noticed them looking around for a space.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Sitting in the YVR domestic lounge at the moment and Randy Ambrosie is on his cell phone talking so LOUDLY about football operations, important markets and his representation in Mexico. OMG... he wont shut up.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Sitting in the YVR domestic lounge at the moment and Randy Ambrosie is on his cell phone talking so LOUDLY about football operations, important markets and his representation in Mexico. OMG... he wont shut up.
tell him to pipe down or go sit in business section. Whoever he is.
j_the_p likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:06 am

This is a new one for me. YUL TB. Guy walking around (or trying to) wearing a jam-packed backpack that sticks out quite significantly. The food area is already relatively difficult to manoeuvre once a few people get in there. Now imagine trying to navigate around this guy. A miracle he didn't knock something over, lol.

Edit: I wonder if he's related to the person who banged me in the head with their backpack while boarding yesterday (I was already seated).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by musicmtl
This is a new one for me. YUL TB. Guy walking around (or trying to) wearing a jam-packed backpack that sticks out quite significantly. The food area is already relatively difficult to manoeuvre once a few people get in there. Now imagine trying to navigate around this guy. A miracle he didn't knock something over, lol..
As someone who packs jam in their backpack from time to time (E.D. Smith all the way none of this Smuckers nonsense at the MLL) I take offense to that remark

Joking aside I often have a backpack and Boston bag when I travel to prevent the dreaded checked bag. When I enter a lounge I'll typically put my stuff on an empty chair then head to the buffet. Is this good etiquette since I'm not holding anything that would obstruct the way but I am also blocking a seat for myself?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:53 am

Joking aside I often have a backpack and Boston bag when I travel to prevent the dreaded checked bag. When I enter a lounge I'll typically put my stuff on an empty chair then head to the buffet. Is this good etiquette since I'm not holding anything that would obstruct the way but I am also blocking a seat for myself?
I always claim a chair / drop my bags & jacket first. I only go to the food area with my gear if I'm on my way out and filling my pockets with edamame and cans of coke.
canadiancow and musicmtl like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I always claim a chair / drop my bags & jacket first.
Have you ever had someone move your stuff and sit in the chair? What's the proper etiquette there?

Also, we hear all the time about not leaving your baggage unattended at airports. Does that rule apply here? How far away from your bag can you be in a lounge before it's considered a security issue?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:14 am

Have you ever had someone move your stuff and sit in the chair? What's the proper etiquette there?

Also, we hear all the time about not leaving your baggage unattended at airports. Does that rule apply here? How far away from your bag can you be in a lounge before it's considered a security issue?
I've not had it messed with. At least, so far as I know. Some of the obscure pockets in my bags could be crammed filled with someone else's Tile tags, I suppose.

But the messee would have no idea if they are touching stuff for someone who is on their second round to the bar/food, or just claiming a chair. I don't think anyone can be annoyed at the 2 minutes extra of first round chair claiming... or expect one to carry around bags and a plate of food & drinks.

As for the security question, I don't have that level of paranoia. MLL is heavy on solo PAX, it is after all, mostly gotten to by business travelers who are almost always solo. How could you possibly get someone I trust to watch my stuff? We are getting into Seinfeld episode territory here. If you need to be in physical contact with your bags because paranoia, you need to get your meds adjusted.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I don't think anyone can be annoyed at the 2 minutes extra of first round chair claiming... or expect one to carry around bags and a plate of food & drinks.
What about holding a seat for a friend who went to the 'loo or is just getting of their connecting flight? In the past we've agreed that holding several chairs for yourself is bad etiquette. I'd be curious to see where the line is drawn on chair utilization. Given how crammed lounges are now getting with increased guests thanks to Priority Pass and kettles flying to Santa Banana in J combined with the limited space many lounges have (i.e. YUL TB) I won't be surprised one bit when one day we open up FT to see a story of Lounge Rage!

-James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I don't know what was with the YEG MLL on Wednesday but it seemed everyone was either on some super important phone call at full volume or forgot to plug their headphones in properly and had their tablet at full volume.

It was much quieter at the gate...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.