Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

[IN AN AC LOUNGE] Pet Peeves or annoying passengers in the MLL/Cafe/Signature Suite

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Not sure if I mentioned this before - but whatever happened to the MLL “Quiet Zones?” I particularly have noticed the absence in YVR Dom over by the TV and computer station “relax” area.
There were some signs right by the windows in the YVR DOM lounge (the end near the WCs), but they seem to be mostly ignored. As they are in the YVR TB lounge.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

We should petition AC that the 50 cent ear buds they offer should be upgraded by a nickel to add an inline microphone. We could hand them out like candy in the lounges.

Not sure if I mentioned this before - but whatever happened to the MLL “Quiet Zones?” I particularly have noticed the absence in YVR Dom over by the TV and computer station “relax” area.
It's a cell-free zone, not a quiet zone.

I can't send a text, but you can shout at your children.
​​​
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The cell-free zones continue to exist merely as tiny signage, and most patrons either don't notice it or outright ignore it. MLL staff rarely enforce it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
When Mom brings in her three kids and is way to busy on her cell phone to look after her kids. Turned the TV area of the YVR DOM MLL into a play area, where kids are loud and screaming. So much for the World Junior Game and now I am thinking a walk in the terminal may not be a bad idea!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
YVR DOM MLL the other day - a woman at the buffet fills a medium-sized ziploc bag with edamame beans and takes them with her. She took probably 1/3 of a full tray. Not sure if this was all she took, or if she had bags full of other snacks too...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nave888
YVR DOM MLL the other day - a woman at the buffet fills a medium-sized ziploc bag with edamame beans and takes them with her. She took probably 1/3 of a full tray. Not sure if this was all she took, or if she had bags full of other snacks too...
Did you tell the staff to intervene?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Doing her part to support the US soy farmers.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:02 pm

whatever happened to the MLL “Quiet Zones?” I particularly have noticed the absence in YVR Dom over by the TV and computer station “relax” area.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
There were some signs right by the windows in the YVR DOM lounge (the end near the WCs), but they seem to be mostly ignored. As they are in the YVR TB lounge.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's a cell-free zone, not a quiet zone.
I can't send a text, but you can shout at your children.
​​​
Ah, I rarely sit at that end by the WC’s. It will be a bit until I visit again... they definitely had signs by the TV area too (might have said cell-free quiet zone), then nothing, now I think something unrelated in the same spot.

Just came across this Lounge Etiquette Guide, which makes me want to try Cathay. It would be the ultimate 2020 enhancement to have a list of rules/recommendations and some occasional enforcement.
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...nge-etiquette/

As for the literal definition of cell-free, I’m cool with having multiple zones: screen free, noise free (a crafty way of saying noisy kid free). But I tend to think the intent for most designated areas to date is “don’t talk on the phone here”.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:04 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Patrons are informed that consumption of lounge offerings should be on for the lounge, and not take away.
Nonetheless, people take Tea bags, cookies , cans of pop , bananas etc with them. Nobody seems to think that matters , either.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: TK *G
I will admit that I routinely take a bootle of water with me when I leave the lounge, in lounges where bottled water is offered (so not MLLs). I also remember walking out one lounge while eating an apple.

Now it’s up to the RCHHMPs to decide if I am guilty or not
eracerblue likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by songsc
Not guilty, though @yyznomad once kindly assured me that I am not a member of the RCHHMP, even though I like to tease him about the Leafs choking every year (I've been holding back this while, his wounds seem a bit too raw to rub the salt in right now ).

Personally I think the guilty ones are those who stash enough food to make an extra meal later on. I have a family member who does this at breakfast buffets when travelling.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:16 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Red face

I will admit that I routinely take a bootle of water with me when I leave the lounge, in lounges where bottled water is offered (so not MLLs). I also remember walking out one lounge while eating an apple.

Well, that is not allowed. Certainly , it's just an apple , but if we're allowed to interpret the rules how we want , then heck , what's the point of them.Why would you get to take an apple and the other person not Edamame. The rules are clear... so we should just follow them.

Of course, then we wouldn't need flyertalk either .
j_the_p likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: TK *G
I will add more, I also take newspapers out with me, especially the high quality ones like FT (FlyerTalk, not). I also just found some MLL napkins in my bag.

I totally agree that rules are rules and they should be respected and enforced. I am just trying to make a point that many rules require some common sense in order to be enforced properly.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I will add more, I also take newspapers out with me, especially the high quality ones like FT (FlyerTalk, not). I also just found some MLL napkins in my bag.

I totally agree that rules are rules and they should be respected and enforced. I am just trying to make a point that many rules require some common sense in order to be enforced properly.
I thought we could take newspapers and magazines out... did I miss something?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

So long as it doesn't say on the newspaper/magazine that removal is not permitted you should be fine. I find myself doing that a decent chunk of time out of the UCs since most of them have the latest issue of the WSJ and it's difficult to read the key sections of the newspaper, especially during a tight connection.

-James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.