Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking you through the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The difference is that the system you describe would be tracking MAC addresses. The system IBM built tracks passengers. Knowing where John Smith is when he's the last one left to board on AC 123 is worth something to the airlines.
For me, the app is only useful if it can zap John Smith with 10,000v of electricity while he's sitting at the bar because he's been paged 3 times and is holding up the flight.

But that's just me.
Why would a flight be held up because someone is sitting at a bar? At T-10 the John's seat is given up to a standby pax and the flight should leave without John Smith's drunk a$$ on board!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
Why would a flight be held up because someone is sitting at a bar? At T-10 the John's seat is given up to a standby pax and the flight should leave without John Smith's drunk a$$ on board!
In all seriousness, what if that person were a SE and protected? Would that happen?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
In all seriousness, what if that person were a SE and protected? Would that happen?
I have never heard of anyone being protected to the point were a flight is held except in the case where several passengers are coming in on a right/late connection.

I have been "protected" on flight before due to mis-connects and IRROPS but if I wasn't near the gate when my BP was ready, it was given away, and I have seen BP's for other "protected" flyers given away when they didn't show up when their name was called.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:59 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Is that an AC thing? How many times do I hear (usually from neighbouring gates) the multiple announcements "Paging passengers John Smith, C Frost & David Wells, this is your final boarding call."

They usually repeat that 2 or 3 times.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Is that an AC thing? How many times do I hear (usually from neighbouring gates) the multiple announcements "Paging passengers John Smith, C Frost & David Wells, this is your final boarding call."

They usually repeat that 2 or 3 times.
They are not being nice....it's more a pain to pull their bags off the plane so they really want those people to show up...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: *$ Green
I always wondered.

What happens if you don't show up?

Why would someone go through the trouble of going to the airport, check in luggage, wait around an hour, and then randomly decide to not board? lol
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I always wondered.

Why would someone go through the trouble of going to the airport, check in luggage, wait around an hour, and then randomly decide to not board? lol
They find your bags and yank them from the aircraft. In case you checked in a bomb, I presume
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: *$ Green
They find your bags and yank them from the aircraft. In case you checked in a bomb, I presume
Yeah, but then what happens after that?

What happens to the ticket?

And the passenger, how does he get his bag back?

Does he get a scolding?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:31 am

I always wondered.

I was at ORD a few years ago. At an airport bar watching football waiting for a flight. Next to me were 3 knuckleheads drinking and laughing. I heard 3 people getting paged at least twice for a final boarding at gate XXX.

About 10 minutes later, I'm walking by gate XXX and the same 3 knuckleheads are arguing with a GA, basically verbally abusing her because they missed their flight.

It was my pleasure to lean over and mention to the boys that I heard a page, naming all three' twice, in the bar. The look on the face of the GA was priceless.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:33 am
Suspended

I was at ORD a few years ago. At an airport bar watching football waiting for a flight. Next to me were 3 knuckleheads drinking and laughing. I heard 3 people getting paged at least twice for a final boarding at gate XXX.

About 10 minutes later, I'm walking by gate XXX and the same 3 knuckleheads are arguing with a GA, basically verbally abusing her because they missed their flight.

It was my pleasure to lean over and mention to the boys that I heard a page, naming all three' twice, in the bar. The look on the face of the GA was priceless.
No arguments, but as mentioned by the flier who doesn't fly a whole lot what happens? In your case, did they get another BP there? Do they forfeit their ticket? And how does one claim baggage? I presume through the lost baggage claim (but it's not lost? - scratches head). Do they bring the bag right back to the gate (boarding area?)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:13 am

Yeah, but then what happens after that?

What happens to the ticket?

And the passenger, how does he get his bag back?

Does he get a scolding?
So, this has happened to me one - shocking, I know!

It happened during my early days of flying, luggage was pulled and inspected I presume (the contents were not placed the same way I originally packed them), I was put on a new flight ~10 hours later in the day (punishment, maybe?) sitting in the far back of the bus. Other than that I was no worse for wear.

I don't know what happens today, it has been decades I last checked a bag, but I have missed more than a few flights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:20 am

No arguments, but as mentioned by the flier who doesn't fly a whole lot what happens? In your case, did they get another BP there? Do they forfeit their ticket? And how does one claim baggage? I presume through the lost baggage claim (but it's not lost? - scratches head). Do they bring the bag right back to the gate (boarding area?)
I didn't stick around to find out. Sort of stir the pot and run!!! I assume there was a great deal of grovelling after that and they put them on a later flight.

Having never been a guy who gets paged multiple times and missed for my own reasons, i don't know what the usual procedure is.

Any luggage would be collected at luggage claim, I believe, as I have had to cancel a flight mid-way. Oddly, enough, the guy at luggage said he couldn't release the luggage and the bags would need to travel to their final destination. (which ironically goes against bags not travelling with the passenger on board, so I guess there's extra screening for those bags).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Are you sure what IBM has built is for tracking AC passengers, or are you just assuming that is the case based on articles and screen mock-ups?

Enquiring minds want to know.
You know where I work. Come by sometime (I'm sure you have an unlimited flight pass to cover the flight), and I'll tell/show you exactly how I'm sure.

And yes, I'm sure.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:36 pm

I just got rid of the app.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Reading through the Poppi stuff reminded me of this.

It could use some UI love, but the GA can clearly tell if you're at the gate or if you've been at the gate, and has a way to send messages to passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.