Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Recent Skift Ranking - Top airlines for long-haul, economy-class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *Gold

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/20...-class-flights

According to a recent Skift Ranking;

"In North America, Skift named American Airlines as the best economy-class carrier and named Air Canada the worst."

*apologies if this has already been posted
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Surprised BR with its 33" pitch on the 773 with the service isn't on the top 10
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
lol gotta love the comments by the Sun's target readership

I'll take the Big Seats in Spirit airlines anytime, price, service and destinations, you can NOT go wrong!

don't bother with AC Rouge, it's just a flying trailer park

overall, nothing shocking in the ranking. The top 6 could be arranged in any order really.
Anyone can make a ranking these days it seems.

Not surprising AC is the worst Y longhaul airline in North America. Tight pitch, HD, rouge, voted rudest legacy staff. Normal people can see the stuff that AC elites on Flyertalk are blind to.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:55 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I don`t usually put much credence on these rankings (even when the results agree with my perception ) but props for them for discussing their methodology (Skytrax I am looking at you). They should fire their web design team however, eeech...

http://skift.com/2015/01/16/the-worl...ul-experience/
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Surprised BR with its 33" pitch on the 773 with the service isn't on the top 10
You're almost tempting me to fly BR Y, but I haven't heard you give a very balanced discussion of BR, so I'm not sure I should trust you
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew
You're almost tempting me to fly BR Y, but I haven't heard you give a very balanced discussion of BR, so I'm not sure I should trust you
Bah, fly Elite class if you're not going to be in J. It's only a little bit more.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Since I see the article is in the Toronto Sun, hardly worth reading.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Priceline's market cap is $53B?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not surprising AC is the worst Y longhaul airline in North America. Tight pitch, HD, rouge, voted rudest legacy staff. Normal people can see the stuff that AC elites on Flyertalk are blind to.
I hope you're joking. Do you forget how for the last few months all the rats have said they're jumping ship? Yet AC LF and total passengers keep going up, so if elites are leaving they are being replaced much quicker than 1:1 with these supposed enlightened 'normal people'.

Either that or everyone saying they're leaving was blowing smoke.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I hope you're joking. Do you forget how for the last few months all the rats have said they're jumping ship? Yet AC LF and total passengers keep going up, so if elites are leaving they are being replaced much quicker than 1:1 with these supposed enlightened 'normal people'.

Either that or everyone saying they're leaving is blowing smoke.
Spirits and Ryanairs LFs are high too. Doesnt mean its a pleasant experience.

I have no idea what "jumping ship" has to do with any of this, there is no talk of loyalty programs, just about the very unpleasant experience that AC longhaul Y is.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Spirits and Ryanairs LFs are high too. Doesnt mean its a pleasant experience.

I have no idea what "jumping ship" has to do with any of this, there is no talk of loyalty programs, just about the very unpleasant experience that AC longhaul Y is.
You seemed to be suggesting we on FT stick to AC because of ignorance to ACs poor product, yet these commoners who voted in the poll recognize AC for the truly terrible carrier it is.

I'm saying it is in fact the FT elites that whine the most, and the normal people you referred to (such as the poll voters) who are flying AC/Rouge more and more. Voting AC the worst yet flying them in greater numbers than ever.... If it isn't because of a good product, could it be price?

And the whole rising tide floats all boats argument doesn't explain everything. Is any major international carrier in North America growing faster than AC %ASM YOY?

AC +8.5%
WS +6.1%
DL +0.5%
UA +2.3%
AA -0.4%

Last edited by winnipegrev; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

New napkins?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Since I see the article is in the Toronto Sun, hardly worth reading.
The rankings were generated by skift, not the sun. One wonders if you would say the same thing if the sun carried an article calling AC one of the best.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:17 pm

Just flew AC long haul Y after 8 months that saw me cover some 40k miles on BA, UA and TK.

AC's Y product does indeed compare poorly. BA and TK Y seats have a noticeably greater recline. UA has a remarkably extensive AVOD IFE selection (not sure if it's just a January thing, but AC's IFE selection this month is about the worst I ve experienced outside of non-AVOD flights) . Catering on all 3 was qualitatively superior. In terms of portion sizes, AC is in a separate league of miserliness.

Not a bad product, but if you factor in the price you're paying for it, it's not a a a good deal. The U.S. airlines are on an upward trajectory and it's beginning to reflect in surveys. The initial signs were apparent when North America's best airline couldn't even make the top 10 cut for TATL and TPAC offerings (DL featured on both). AC's response is to cut costs some more - as a result of which AC is pretty much heading towards the bottom of the barrel on Seat comfort, IFE, catering and value-for-money.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yulred
The rankings were generated by skift, not the sun. One wonders if you would say the same thing if the sun carried an article calling AC one of the best.
Yup...

The Toronto Sun could name me the sexist man alive...I still would wait for the confirmation from the Globe and Mail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.