Search

2 Passengers - 1 tango / 1 flex

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:04 am
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
2 Passengers - 1 tango / 1 flex

I’ll be booking a trip for 2 persons to CUN , I will be one of the travellers. I want to purchase cheap tango fare for my colleague. For my self , I want to book flex, to earn 100% AQM.
Does anyone have experience in doing this?

I Imagine I also want to keep the booking for both of us on the same PNR so I can select the preferred seats , as well as request the upgrade for my colleague on a tango fare as SE.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
You can't do it on the same PNR. You can't upgrade Tango...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:31 am
RZR
Original Poster

Tango is upgradeable , to Cun anyway, as SE

Look forward to others suggestions.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RZR

Look forward to others suggestions.
Yes it is upgradeable but you must request it at the airport if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by RZR
That surprised me but I checked and, indeed, you seem to be correct as long as you are on an Air Canada Vacations booking

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:53 am
RZR
Original Poster

Doesn't need to be vacation booking.

Anyhow, more interested on how to proceed to book 2 different fare classes on same pnr so I can still select the preffered seats as well as request this upgrades.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by RZR
Anyhow, more interested on how to proceed to book 2 different fare classes on same pnr so I can still select the preffered seats as well as request this upgrades.
Per the response upthread - no can do. All bookings on same PNR need to be in same class (as has also been stated in numerous other threads on this board)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:15 am
RZR
Original Poster

Many thanks. Guess we'll sit in the back. Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by RZR
Doesn't need to be vacation booking.

You cannot book two different classes for two people on the same PNR. You should be able to book two different PNRs and request a travel companion upgrade at the airport the day of departure. You will, however; be out of luck for the preferred seating. If you pay for preferred seating and get an upgrade, I do believe that the fee would be refunded.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I've had luck in this situation by calling reservations and asking to be seated together in row 12 without paying on the tango seat. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...
Old May 26, 2017, 4:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
So if I book myself and the companion in tango on the same booking, we can both have preferred seats for free. However if I want to book myself in flex and the companion in tango, then the companion cannot have the preferred seat for free next to me because it will be two separate bookings, even though Air Canada ends up with more money than for the first option where we are both in tango?

Can I book both of us in tango, get the free seats, then upgrade only myself to flex?
Old May 26, 2017, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
So if I book myself and the companion in tango on the same booking, we can both have preferred seats for free. However if I want to book myself in flex and the companion in tango, then the companion cannot have the preferred seat for free next to me because it will be two separate bookings, even though Air Canada ends up with more money than for the first option where we are both in tango?

Can I book both of us in tango, get the free seats, then upgrade only myself to flex?
Book both Tango, select the seats, split the PNR, cancel yours.

Then rebook yourself in Flex.

That way you're subject to Flex fare rules, not Tango.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Book both Tango, select the seats, split the PNR, cancel yours.

Then rebook yourself in Flex.

That way you're subject to Flex fare rules, not Tango.
I assume this is the 24h cancellation policy? Isn't this liable to upset AC abusing SE privileges to save on seat selection? Just thinking of prior issues that may have happened when one used an Altitude privilege and didn't fly.

Now here the SE is still flying. But in another PNR.
Can one upfare half a Tango PNR? I assume not under split class rules.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: *$ Green
OP needs to call in to split the PNR, so he should hope that the agent doesn't realize anything about the seat fees (or that the system does not pick up on it when trying to divide it).

My guess is that if OP tries to do this, it will backfire unless the agent is asleep, so maybe call at night?

Also, OP doesn't need to cancel his booking... he can just call in and go from Tango to whatever he wants.

Maybe he should actually call in when a PNR with both pax booked in tango, and explain what he wants to do. Maybe he'll get lucky.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
OP needs to call in to split the PNR, so he should hope that the agent doesn't realize anything about the seat fees (or that the system does not pick up on it when trying to divide it).

My guess is that if OP tries to do this, it will backfire unless the agent is asleep, so maybe call at night?

Also, OP doesn't need to cancel his booking... he can just call in and go from Tango to whatever he wants.

Maybe he should actually call in when a PNR with both pax booked in tango, and explain what he wants to do. Maybe he'll get lucky.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.