Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

strategies to retain SE status in the new downturn

Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

What are your SE strategies to retain status as AC turns up the heat for E0-ups and for min mileage segments?

My plan is to max out my e/ups by end of Feb and then to buy N (Prem Econ) flights to Europe. Cost more but I get 125%COS.

This is unchartered waters for all of us bottom feeders. A lot of creativity and some adjustments are still necessary. But I still feel the AC product is good but just now very seriously overpriced as a loyalty plan.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
What are your SE strategies to retain status as AC turns up the heat for E0-ups and for min mileage segments?

My plan is to max out my e/ups by end of Feb and then to buy N (Prem Econ) flights to Europe. Cost more but I get 125%COS.

This is unchartered waters for all of us bottom feeders. A lot of creativity and some adjustments are still necessary. But I still feel the AC product is good but just now very seriously overpriced as a loyalty plan.
One way is to buy Tango A/K fares and add as many segments as possible after March 6 (see my post about possible eUp IT issue in our favour). I am not planning on this strategy, as I fly coast to coast so I will buy Flex and add segments.

One other strategy is to buy P fares on United to go to CUN, but ensure AC metal out of YYZ/YUL.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Accumulating 20k miles by Feb. 28, all upgraded with old credits.

2. Upgraded already three one way trips, attractive B fares, at old rates using new credits. I may get at least one more round trip and upgrade it at six credits.

3. Maxing on credits.

4. Picking up origins, dates and destinations carefully.

5. Buying occasional P or Z is price is really low. Keeping an eye on these.

6. Using no surcharges Aeroscam tickets for my wife as much as possible after Feb. 28.

My spreadsheet has me currently ending the year (Dec. 31) with over 50 credits, my wife, around 10. Crunch will be next year, so better keeping some credits.

This said, with removal of YQ on Aeroplan, I expect our total spend may be somewhat less than last year. For myself, around 23-23 cents/miles (all in front). for my wife, maybe 5k. Two trips to Europe, plus one Asia-Europe and back and a couple of NA, YYZ and BOS.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by YYT82
see my post about possible eUp IT issue in our favour)..
Where is this post?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
That is one strategy but I mostly avoid Tango.

I should have over 55,000 status miles by end of Feb and even a few unused E ups but not many. I plan to max them out by end of Feb. I have hoarded my E-ups for use in Jan and Feb. Simple strategy. But the numbers all change as of March 1st.

I do not know if I will reach SE again (for the upteenth year) in 2015 but I will give it a good try. Thereafter the benefits will have to be seriously re-evaluated as it is looking very iffy for me.

Those who travel on full J fares will have no problem but that is what this adjustment is all about. MONEY to AC.

Would love to hear from other bottom feeders like me. I hate that term but that is what we are called by AE and AC.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
Where is this post?
I guess I'll just elaborate here again. SAP mentioned he upgraded a B fare for a flight past March 1. Judging by my recent experience (last week) using eUps, I suspect how it works will be this:

As a SE, I have 7 day window to request upgrade. I can make my request on or before Feb 28, and the number of credits taken will be based on the 2014 scheme. Even if I only clear at the gate, it should still only be that. To implement a change that takes away this possibility would be too costly for AC, so they likely won't touch it.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 100,000miler

Serious question: why?

I am wrestling with this myself. SE brings matching 100% extra miles, IKK, concierge, and upgrades (baggage and lounge and etc. are just table stakes to me--and can be had with a good credit card).

Concierge--really handy about 3 times a year. IKK--for international J seems to be gone. Which renders the miles worthless. And I will get a whopping 10-12 upgrades this year. So I am really struggling with why I would bother. I suspect I will end up with it again more by accident than anything (business travel + paid J to Europe which from YYC means AC pretty much).

So... thoughts? Why stick with the program?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar

So... thoughts? Why stick with the program?
For those of us who fly mostly domestic transcontinentals, AC SE is still worth it. Me being based in YYT, which is notorious for WX delays, concierge comes in very handy. I use IKK for domestic YVR-YYZ/YUL B77W/A333 then normal J to YYT. I still find that IKK J ticket between YVR and YYT to be the best bang for my buck.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
Because it will continue being the only way for us to fly in front, apart from buying an occasional P/Z when the price is right.

Admittledly, I do have enough flexibility with my travel plans, and I can play way ahead of time. Which helps a lot.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'm going to go with 2-3 10 credit latitude passes this year which offer free upgrade to J at T-48. Which is my solution to the eUpgrade thing. It will also give me 125% miles.

However, I also plan to up my expectations with AC, when it comes to rebooking flights, re-routing etc, as I will be purchasing a product that is more expensive I will expect to be given no hassle when I attempt to execute the benefits of the product purchased. And I will be very vocal should I run into problems.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS

I haven't been an SE yet, and hope to maintain status without having to do any crazy MR, however also being based out of YYT, the best way I've seen to accumulate miles is the YYT HKG route on PE. It's been hovering around 2000-2500 return, and can instantly upgrade all the way to YVR.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Not offering great value for bottom feeders, but if you're looking to maximize your eupgrade credits, after March 1st (or you can buy it now too), upgrade on H fares. It's closer to your standard Y than M/B. I can slide it under and expense it without an issue.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
I haven't been an SE yet, and hope to maintain status without having to do any crazy MR, however also being based out of YYT, the best way I've seen to accumulate miles is the YYT HKG route on PE. It's been hovering around 2000-2500 return, and can instantly upgrade all the way to YVR.
HKG in PY from YYT is definitely the best way to earn AQMs.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Not offering great value for bottom feeders, but if you're looking to maximize your eupgrade credits, after March 1st (or you can buy it now too), upgrade on H fares. It's closer to your standard Y than M/B. I can slide it under and expense it without an issue.
SFO-YYZ-SFO, W fare (cheapest Flex), $751 USD
H fare, $1073 USD

$322 for 8 credits instead of 15. Not horrible, but I'm not sure I'd do it for a personal trip.

For a work trip, they actually have 30 day advance purchase P fares I can buy now
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
SFO-YYZ-SFO, W fare (cheapest Flex), $751 USD
H fare, $1073 USD

$322 for 8 credits instead of 15. Not horrible, but I'm not sure I'd do it for a personal trip.

For a work trip, they actually have 30 day advance purchase P fares I can buy now
Yes, but compared to before? You'd have to buy from say V to M. M!! M was close to B in many cases.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but for your work purchases, you could fly B in a lot of cases, there's no way in heck I would ever be able to. But flying H one way on a RT and buying cheapest flex on (say) the outgoing leg...the resultant price was...higher, but not OMG finance is going to kick my butt.

PS what's the LMU on that leg? I don't fly to SFO...at all, so I dunno.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.