Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Access to the Montreal (YUL) International Maple Leaf Lounge™ (MLL)

Latest news, as per The Altitude Report, "October Edition", sent on November 1, 2017:

Our Montreal International Maple Leaf Lounge™ next to Gate 52 offers a peaceful, sophisticated place to relax before taking flight. As a friendly reminder, eligible customers who are departing on an international flight may access the lounge, regardless of the departure gate. Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68. They can also access the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge next to Gates 1 and 3.

An aside from yyznomad: (November 1, 2017)

From my own insider information, there was a recent meeting to discuss access to the YUL International MLL. It was to discuss access eligibility for domestic flights, due to overcrowding. I found this out due to an experience where I was flying out of Gate 50 on a domestic flight and was denied by both a lounge agent and a concierge seated next to him. After patiently waiting for them to reconfirm the rules, only upon my insistence, did they let me in. The agent vehemently advised that it was Gate 52 and higher and told me to talk to the concierge next to him. The concierge then asked the same agent what the rule was, and sided with the agent without verifying. Two days later, another agent apologized on their behalf for getting it wrong as it was still Gate 50 to 68. In any case, the rule still stands for gates 50-68.

Also, if you got in, but as an exception to the rules, then consider yourself simply as lucky.

So don't be afraid to stand your ground, with or without printed proof. So as long as you are eligible, stand your ground! You are most likely to get an agent who won't know the rules and wrongly turn you away.
Print Wikipost

YUL International MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I think the next step to E50K is co-pay for Int'l lounge access. Co-pay was introduced on Long-haul eUps a few years ago and I see that being extended to lounges. Like I said, adding square footage for more lounges is very expensive overhead. My reducing the number of people in the lounges, and getting more money out of those who want to have lounge access, they can improve them, and make the SE's feel more special (getting a benefit others must pay for to get).

As for E75K, at the moment, they don't really get anything for the difference between 50 & 100, so this might get some people to pay a little more to attain it. At the moment, I don't really see a benefit worth spending more bucks for.
Don't think they can introduce International lounge co-pay for E50K as they get *A gold access.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by hermanc
Don't think they can introduce International lounge co-pay for E50K as they get *A gold access.
You don't actually have to grant complimentary lounge access to your own *A gold tier members though. Look at United.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Wait, so if I was the UA equivalent of an E50K, I would have Star Alliance Gold status, but they would refuse lounge access to me?

How is that even legal?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Wait, so if I was the UA equivalent of an E50K, I would have Star Alliance Gold status, but they would refuse lounge access to me?

How is that even legal?
So keep in mind that US airports don't usually have the same domestic/transborder/intl layout as Canadian airports, but yes, UA Premier Gold (*G) members only receive complimentary UA Club access on international itineraries, whereas a partner *G would get it on any *A ticket (including pure US domestic).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dorian
The INT MLL at YUL was moved to a temporary location (the lounge I visited a few posts back) so they can reno the one we know. The plans for this redone lounge (12-18 months was quoted to me today...but Quebec) is normal MLL on top and an SE or SE/J lounge on the bottom (I was told twice, "SE"), where they had the bar and cook tops (if you've been in the past year).

The lounge I was in today doesn't look "AC" at all...not 1%. Very modern, white and grey. It is situated upstairs across the hall from the Mastercard lounge and has massive windows overlooking the gates. Other notes about this temp lounge:

- electrical plugs everywhere, like I've never seen
- vinotec wine serving machine with premium (for AC) wines
- excellent food
- very bizarre symbols to indicate washrooms, etc (Quebec for ya I guess)
- individual washrooms
- although a good looking lounge there are certainly some temporary elements to it such as plywood boxes holding up the vanities
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now.
I haven't been in the YUL Int'l MLL in a couple of years, so all I know is what they had at the upper level. I avoid YUL as much as I can, although as of late they seemed to have made some improvements (I've flown domestically here and there to/from YUL in the last while but out of necessity only).

Some people here on FT have told me that there will NOT be an SE lounge at YUL so I will just pretend I didn't heaer them and take your word for it since you have experienced it and heard it from several horses' mouths...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by eigenvector
So keep in mind that US airports don't usually have the same domestic/transborder/intl layout as Canadian airports, but yes, UA Premier Gold (*G) members only receive complimentary UA Club access on international itineraries, whereas a partner *G would get it on any *A ticket (including pure US domestic).
Can't they just be like: "I am *AG. You have to let me in"?

I thought that one of the benefits of being an E50K is to receive *AG benefits?

Weird. I guess UA is just really sub-par
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:09 pm

It's specifically listed as an exclusion in the Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy.

United Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
You just unleashed the hounds

Try going in the lounge tomorrow when you fly out! Let us know if you can get into the international temp lounge please!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

Well remember that UA is the largest member in *A. They also have tiny clubs. I would imagine they have more elites than, say, AC or LH alone. Maybe even more than the aforementioned combined (though LH has M&M which is a joint between LO/LX/LH/OS/OU/..). So if they let all UA*G into domestic lounges, when most are probably domestic travelers, they'd get overcrowded.

Plus, they make good money from selling Club memberships
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew

Plus, they make good money from selling Club memberships
I think all airlines do...but back on topic
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I think all airlines do...but back on topic
I flew YYZ-YUL-NYC a few weeks ago and was sad the Intl MLL wasn't open; I'd really hoped to check it out

Back off topic : What's the deal with the lack of separation between domestic/international terminals there?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pewpew

Back off topic : What's the deal with the lack of separation between domestic/international terminals there?
Haha As long as you write my profile

It used to be separated. And from what I understand, they then opened up the international section so now it's not. Good for me as there's a CC lounge across from the international lounge. The domestic lounge is at like gate...what? 3? But it's MORONIC. It doesn't make sense when I'm at gate 47. What were they thinking??
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:02 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now.
I haven't been in the YUL Int'l MLL in a couple of years, so all I know is what they had at the upper level. I avoid YUL as much as I can, although as of late they seemed to have made some improvements (I've flown domestically here and there to/from YUL in the last while but out of necessity only).

Some people here on FT have told me that there will NOT be an SE lounge at YUL so I will just pretend I didn't heaer them and take your word for it since you have experienced it and heard it from several horses' mouths...
Kind of confused here (nothing new there). The downstairs part of the YUL International MLL is not exclusively for SE's. As a lowly E50k travelling in Y, I have used it. Its open during the peak hours when the upstairs lounge was greatly insufficient. It was crazy there between 15:00 and 19:00.

My understanding was that it was simply an expansion of the YUL International MLL and never designed to be exclusively for SEs. I may be wrong, but the only place I've heard anything about a specific SE-only lounge is here. And I believe that information came from the grapevine.

We are 6 months into this thread, and I don't think I have read any actual concrete information or any other corroborating sources about an SE only lounge. Am I wrong?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Kind of confused here (nothing new there). The downstairs part of the YUL International MLL is not exclusively for SE's. As a lowly E50k travelling in Y, I have used it. Its open during the peak hours when the upstairs lounge was greatly insufficient. It was crazy there between 15:00 and 19:00.

My understanding was that it was simply an expansion of the YUL International MLL and never designed to be exclusively for SEs. I may be wrong, but the only place I've heard anything about a specific SE-only lounge is here. And I believe that information came from the grapevine.

We are 6 months into this thread, and I don't think I have read any actual concrete information or any other corroborating sources about an SE only lounge. Am I wrong?
Correct, the downstairs portion was always opened for overflow only, albeit much nicer than upstairs.

The only evidence I have is two different MLL agents telling me about it, one stating they have seen the model (though I took that to mean plan).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Honestly, I don't even know what that downstairs part is or was. I've used that MLL like three or four times in my life (long and narrow MLL) and all I remember is that it only had an upstairs part staircase to the right once you engage the MLL dragons... that's how long ago I used it/remember. I never remembered any downstairs part!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.