Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Overbooking of Business Class ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by pitz
I've been told that HKG is typically a very high "no-show" destination for J passengers, so AC overbooks J on the route to keep the cabin relatively full of revenue pax at flight time instead of dispatching 1/2 empty/half full of upgraders. However, around CNY, the no-show ratio plummets, and AC's revenue management system has had, at least in the past, a difficult time taking into account taking this into account. Hence, chaos and lots of compensation paid. Might even be worse this year because the 77W HD has even fewer J seats than the 77W.
Do you have a source for this that AC overbooks J to HKG? AC reps have specifically stated they don't overbook J.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
A couple of years ago I was flying YYZ-GVA (with the stop in YUL), Z fare, and was seated in 8K on a 763. J cabin full on YYZ-YUL and YUL-GVA sectors.

In YUL they decided that 8K needed to become a pilot rest seat, so I was without a seat as J was now "overbooked"

The gate agent told me there was only 1 passenger who was upgraded (It was a SE MM booked in full Y). They were the person downgraded (and not happy about it).
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
I think this was discussed before on another thread, but where do Aeroplan rewards fit it to getting bumped? Would it be something like this?

- op-ups
- e-upgrades
- Aeroplan rewards
- revenue J

And then status in each category? Fair to assume an SE on an e-upgrade would get downgraded before pax w/no status with an Aeroplan or revenue ticket in J?
I think an SE on an Aeroplan ticket would be downgraded after a non-status in revenue J, but I'm not sure.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think an SE on an Aeroplan ticket would be downgraded after a non-status in revenue J, but I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure (and this isn't a jab at AC at all) that a non status in revenue J will not be bumped and the AC SE on an AE ticket would be. Why? AC has said if you want to be up front, pay to sit up front, that would indicate a mentality that revenue is the most important thing that matters and that loyalty, really doesn't.

So $ for $, on that flight alone (as irrational as that sounds), that revenue J pax has brought in more $ than an Aeroplan redemption in J - and as we know AC focuses on short term shareholder value, so my thoughts are (IMO) that the SE should be bumped last. Sure, they've brought in the more money over time but loyalty isn't as chum as it used to be. I dunno, just my thought
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm pretty sure (and this isn't a jab at AC at all) that a non status in revenue J will not be bumped and the AC SE on an AE ticket would be. Why? AC has said if you want to be up front, pay to sit up front, that would indicate a mentality that revenue is the most important thing that matters and that loyalty, really doesn't.

So $ for $, on that flight alone (as irrational as that sounds), that revenue J pax has brought in more $ than an Aeroplan redemption in J - and as we know AC focuses on short term shareholder value, so my thoughts are (IMO) that the SE should be bumped last. Sure, they've brought in the more money over time but loyalty isn't as chum as it used to be. I dunno, just my thought
I am not convinced that your argument hold much water.

AC might bump a non-status Aeroplan ticket holder before a non-status paid J.

OTOH, meal priority continues being based on status.

So bottom line, we don't really know, and the question remains largely hypothetical anyway. Only in case of significant equipment change would this really come into play.

In that scenario (and actually in all scenarios), other factors such as connections, alternate flights/routes, alternate flights, and the like, might also come into play.

In many cases there is room for flexibility. And presumably significant equipment changes will be allocated to flights for which there is flexibility.

A different and much harder scenario is cancellation. But of course that's a different topic and the priority sequence for reaccommodating is up to the airline.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
I am not convinced that your argument hold much water.
I was trying to figure out what AC's logic might be. Hence why I put in the words "as irrational as that sounds" and "I dunno, just my thought"
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I catch one medium haul flight.... man!!

Still unclear if AC oversells J....
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Dorian
I catch one medium haul flight.... man!!

Still unclear if AC oversells J....
I thought this has been covered... barring any operational issues changing the J capacity (a/c swap, crew rest, seat issues, etc etc) AC does NOT oversell J
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I thought this has been covered... barring any operational issues changing the J capacity (a/c swap, crew rest, seat issues, etc etc) AC does NOT oversell J
Blinked and missed it?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I think the difference is that when you book "I", you have a confirmed seat in J at time of booking.

Very different from R (at time of booking, you're in Y).

And from AC's perspective, think about someone like Dorian or jaysona flying on points. Are they the kind of person you want to downgrade? The GA can't see their spend.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Hey guys! Did you know that AC doesn't oversell J?!

Slowpoke.jpg
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
And from AC's perspective, think about someone like Dorian or jaysona flying on points. Are they the kind of person you want to downgrade? The GA can't see their spend.
Yes, that would go over quite poorly for me.

That being said I'm on a paid J ticket from YVR to East Africa for $3300 (TK) this trip! I normally pay >$6k and have paid as much as $9k for these monthly trips. $3300!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Again, I don't disagree with you at all. But I know jaysona is on a FP in the Rapidair triangle, he's most likely not going to go to WS even if being infuriated. I think Dorian (correct me if i'm wrong), you don't exclusively fly AC, so they'd probably not want to piss you off as you still spend significant $ with them

But what has the Altitude program showed us? I'll pick on LockheedElectra (SE MM IIRC), they pissed him off bad, to a point where he said proverbially "I'm OUT (and **** you AC!)". Did AC care about his previous spend? No. So it's not like AC is thinking logically or long term.

Hey, i'll be the first to say that the Dorian, Nomad's, Jaysona's of the world should be AC VIP (I mean this 100%). If I were running a company and I had these 3 guys (to name just a few) bringing in gargantuan amounts of money, the SE benefits wouldn't even begin to offer what I would. Considering - they don't use most of them anyways!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:07 pm

Considering - they don't use most of them anyways!
Hey! I used a Concierge once last year (to get me a TK boarding pass from the other side of security)! That has to count!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
Hey! I used a Concierge once last year (to get me a TK boarding pass from the other side of security)! That has to count!
Hence why I chose the word "most" I know it's rare you guys use the benefits that are given to you, that was my point Like jaysona with his > 300 eupgrade credits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.