Aeroplan reward tickets help

Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada S100K 1MM, Asiamiles Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Aeroplan reward tickets help

Okay as a super elite i was pretty sure that the scamcharges were suppose to be disapearing in 2015. Am i wrong? if so, can anyone explain this:

http://www.canadianwineguy.com/forums/images/why3.PNG

now on top of that, can anyone explain how introducing 2 more legs DROPS the scam charges?

http://www.canadianwineguy.com/forums/images/why1.PNG
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
As of March 1st. As for legs, what legs, are you on diff. metal? or based on the spaces in your original post as of 1:01pm EST, is a screenshot not posting?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
As of March 1st. As for legs, what legs, are you on diff. metal? or based on the spaces in your original post as of 1:01pm EST, is a screenshot not posting?
the pictures are posted now, flyertalk kept truncating my links, as i used the w t f to describe the screengrabs...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bdg55
the pictures are posted now, flyertalk kept truncating my links, as i used the w t f to describe the screengrabs...
The only thing I can think of is that your second screenshot depicts the return AC flight as a non priority flight? Although I'm not sure if that's the reason why...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The only thing I can think of is that your second screenshot depicts the return AC flight as a non priority flight? Although I'm not sure if that's the reason why...

Yup it makes no sense at all, i could never understand the scamcharges and how they work, and even less so now, we shall see if march 1 really cures anything
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Okay as a super elite i was pretty sure that the scamcharges were suppose to be disapearing in 2015. Am i wrong? if so, can anyone explain this:

<snip>

now on top of that, can anyone explain how introducing 2 more legs DROPS the scam charges?

<snip>

http://www.canadianwineguy.com/forums/images/why1.PNG
YQ goes away only for flights booked after March 1st

Likely the reduction from your first to second itinerary is to do with the fact that you are simply transiting through GVA on the way back rather than its being the point of departure and so the Swiss taxes are probably different. You can expand the details by clicking on the orange "Taxes Fees and Surcharges" link beside the $ amount for them to figure out the specifics.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yup it makes no sense at all, i could never understand the scamcharges and how they work, and even less so now, we shall see if march 1 really cures anything
YYZ-GVA is 3990 miles --> YQ of $876/p
YYZ-BCN is 3998 miles --> YQ of $758/p

Therefore you are making BCN as your destination in the second scenario. Different destinations give you different YQ/scamcharge. Sometimes a city further away may result in a lower charge.

You are getting a savings for about $120/p, but adding the airport fees from BCN, that should explain the $200 difference for 3 pax

Last edited by mattc2; Jan 13, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
Another Aeroplan Reward Question:

If I'm SE100K, and I'm allowed 3 bags each. What is the baggage allowance for family members n the same booking?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kerfluffer
Another Aeroplan Reward Question:

If I'm SE100K, and I'm allowed 3 bags each. What is the baggage allowance for family members n the same booking?
Where are you flying? I don't think they get anything extra due to your status though.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:08 am

Scamcharges are a strange animal - they're not segment by segment but by how the fare seems to be constructed.

For instance if you book YYZ-ORD-NRT on AC/NH the scamcharges are $341. If you add NRT-HKG it drops to $105.90.

Similar thing if you fly AC YYZ-YVR-ICN, YQ is $231. If you do YYZ-YVR-ICN-HKG then YQ drops to $85.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Where are you flying? I don't think they get anything extra due to your status though.
Barbados on Rouge. Yes I know but it's warm and that's where SWMBO wants us to go.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kerfluffer
Barbados on Rouge. Yes I know but it's warm and that's where SWMBO wants us to go.
I had to look up what SWMBO meant. LOL. I guess we know who wears the pants in your household
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tng11
Scamcharges are a strange animal - they're not segment by segment but by how the fare seems to be constructed.

For instance if you book YYZ-ORD-NRT on AC/NH the scamcharges are $341. If you add NRT-HKG it drops to $105.90.

Similar thing if you fly AC YYZ-YVR-ICN, YQ is $231. If you do YYZ-YVR-ICN-HKG then YQ drops to $85.
HKG is special, its government regulated. Did you think AC lowers scamcharges there out of the goodness of their heart
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC 100K
Recalculate YQ after 1st March

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I believe that when a change is made to an AP award booking the entire charge is re-calculated. My question: if the OP makes the booking now and then calls AP on 1st March and makes a minor change will the taxes then be re-calculated to exclude the YQ?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnwb
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I believe that when a change is made to an AP award booking the entire charge is re-calculated. My question: if the OP makes the booking now and then calls AP on 1st March and makes a minor change will the taxes then be re-calculated to exclude the YQ?
From what we gather/read on here, yes, but you'll have to pay the change fee IIRC. If you are SE, YQ will be removed for all flights, if you are non SE, it'll be for US/CDN flights only

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.