Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by After Burner
Mine isn't. I know others who are increasing spending.
Literally a mandate to spend more on travel?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Literally a mandate to spend more on travel?
I wouldn't exactly say mandate to spend more. The spend is just a collateral effect. Cutbacks went too far, hence a correction.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
As it started... Duplicate, please delete
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I wouldn't exactly say mandate to spend more. The spend is just a collateral effect. Cutbacks went too far, hence a correction.
You gotta spend money to make money, right?

^
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim

^
One would think. IBM is notoriously good at keeping costs down while making money. Their global services org are mostly work from home guys. While we are getting there, some engineers on my team (namely me) still fly every week for work...then again there is some difference in quality of service
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Disclaimer: our company is a TINY fraction of IBM's size. We're still mainly focused on the top line which really keeps things interesting. We can afford to spend in order to seize opportunities when some of our (larger and public) competitors are focused on cost-cutting.

Life as an entrepreneur, I guess.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Disclaimer: our company is a TINY fraction of IBM's size. We're still mainly focused on the top line which really keeps things interesting. We can afford to spend in order to seize opportunities when some of our (larger and public) competitors are focused on cost-cutting.

Life as an entrepreneur, I guess.
Yep, or life as a private company. Mccains is another good example. They are a private business. You should see how they treat their workers (e.g. very well) and how they spend their money (let's just say they don't fly commercial.) They are very much focused on the top line...

Sometimes it's better to not work in a publicly traded company as all are focused on "shareholder" value. Ugh.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Maybe there's a message in there. I know I still get a really cool feeling about 5 seconds after 'Rotate' when the plane is still moving forward more than it usual climb angle.

That doesn't change regardless of equipment or cabin.

Maybe we all need to re-listen to Louis CK - Flying every once in a while.
Personally, I get excitement no matter of cabin when the engines spool up and i'm thrown back into my chair. TOGA's are also fun and extreme turbulence (especially while under the influence).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:14 pm

^
I would like to believe that but the long and indirect chain of cause and effect makes it hard to be certain you're not making better profit in spite of increased travel.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:21 pm

One would think. IBM is notoriously good at keeping costs down while making money. Their global services org are mostly work from home guys. While we are getting there, some engineers on my team (namely me) still fly every week for work...then again there is some difference in quality of service
It's not just IGS, many (maybe most) of their developers in the software labs work from home. And those work at home guys seem to be the most productive.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:32 pm

Sometimes it's better to not work in a publicly traded company as all are focused on "shareholder" value. Ugh.
Sometimes??
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:46 pm

Personally, I get excitement no matter of cabin when the engines spool up and i'm thrown back into my chair. TOGA's are also fun and extreme turbulence (especially while under the influence).
I'd be really surprised if you've ever experienced extreme turbulence. I don't think you'd consider it to be fun.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's not just IGS, many (maybe most) of their developers in the software labs work from home. And those work at home guys seem to be the most productive.
No disagreement. Most enterprise services division of large tech companies aren't there coding software, but rather we support different technologies, either in reactive support (firefighting) or proactive support (best practice knowledge transfer). In both cases, having someone onsite is much better (relationship with the customer, the ability to physically grab someone, seeing the whites in peoples' eyes) etc. That's a main service differentiator between IBM and us/other companies. We price it accordingly though.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'd be really surprised if you've ever experienced extreme turbulence. I don't think you'd consider it to be fun.
I've had less than a handful. But when coffee/wine ends up all over the pod and the pilot yells over the speakers for all FA's to take their seat NOW (never have heard a pilot sound angry/maybe a little scared). I thought we were going to make the news, but let's just say the FA's had a really hard time getting into their seats. Scary as hell during the event, but afterwards, liquor was flowing to all pax in J, much of it being consumed by me...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

I've had less than a handful. But when coffee/wine ends up all over the pod and the pilot yells over the speakers for all FA's to take their seat NOW (never have heard a pilot sound angry/maybe a little scared). I thought we were going to make the news, but let's just say the FA's had a really hard time getting into their seats. Scary as hell during the event, but afterwards, liquor was flowing to all pax in J, much of it being consumed by me...
That sounds more like moderate, or possibly severe, turbulence, but not extreme. Extreme turbulence is very rare.

Extreme turbulence: Turbulence in which the aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. It may cause structural damage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.