Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's weird how your assumption differed mine. Growing up we'd fly CP or AC and I always assumed that the asian airlines were cheaper. I didn't know that anyone would think it'd be more (save for maybe CX and the well known brands).

BR simply cannot fill its J sections. It sells revenue and then opens it up to AE two weeks out and you can get like 8 or more seats. Why? Brand awareness and some people are hesitant to try it or some won't (like PLeblond). Rational or not, the brand itself doesn't carry enough weight in this market, so they can't up their price.

You know how I feel about BR. Bring a USB fan and stick it in the socket if you're warm. Buy a cheap blanket from Walmart and you'll be fine. For me, i'm a naturally hot person. I was warm to the point where I wasn't sweating (and I was drinking a LOT). So it's not unbearable, but not nuts. And the SD did turn it down. I think their AC is set to 23'C. Save for that, better food, service, hard product (IMO), cheaper....go for it. Start up a new mega thread for us once we hear yyznomad's take on it

I was in a polo and dress pants then switched to their very thin cotton PJ's
I will check prices now to HND/NRT. Don't mind connecting at TPE if need be.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I will check prices now to HND/NRT. Don't mind connecting at TPE if need be.
We're doing YYZ TPE (was it? NRT) anyway - on BR later this year (I promise no FT posts)

And then doing YYZ TPE Brisbane a bit later. All in J, most likely paid, if not via AE.

Connecting through TPE is awesome. Takes about...3 minutes to transfer through the sterile zone, and the lounge is AWESOME. Like OMG. real food (western and asian), great showers, great lounge attendants and there's a transfer hotel if you want to grab a nap.

HIGHLY recommended. Gosh you've tickled my nerves again, got me all excited and gitty. NOMAD!!

*Disclaimer, they were great from an English standpoint for the entire journey. My wife is Caucasian, she got great service, albeit not from the entire cabin crew as she only speaks EN/FR. If you speak Mandarin which I presume you don't, the service is a notch more friendlier. (simply because of language barrier reasons)
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
We're doing YYZ TPE (was it? NRT) anyway - on BR later this year (I promise no FT posts)

And then doing YYZ TPE Brisbane a bit later. All in J, most likely paid, if not via AE.

Connecting through TPE is awesome. Takes about...3 minutes to transfer through the sterile zone, and the lounge is AWESOME. Like OMG. real food, great showers, great lounge attendants and there's a transfer hotel if you want to grab a nap.

HIGHLY recommended. Gosh you've tickled my nerves again, got me all excited and gitty. NOMAD!!

*Disclaimer, they were great from an English standpoint for the entire journey. My wife is Caucasian, she got great service, albeit not from the entire cabin crew. If you speak Mandarin which I presume you don't, the service is a notch more friendlier. (simply because of language barrier reasons)
Now does the TPE BR lounge compare to say, HND NH lounge(s)?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Now does the TPE BR lounge compare to say, HND NH lounge(s)?
Sorry, have not been to the HND NH lounge. I have however seen the posts on FT. I'd say it's comparable? But since I haven't been to the HND lounge I don't feel comfortable enough comparing. However, out of all the lounges I've been to, I'd say the CX lounge for Business Class at the Pier at HKG is similar for asian offerings at BR in TPE in the InfinityLands? or what they call it - lounge. The Western offerings are better at the BR in TPE in the Infinity section (so if you're flying J) than CX. Then again my CX memories are when I was....15? So it's been a while, but doing the best I can to offer value to you!

From a lounge perspective, I'd say that for ME and my travels, the BR lounge was the best lounge i've ever been in. (not the Star Gold lounge if you're flying Y, but the Infinity lounge). Lots of reviews are online. My wife got the western food she wanted, and I got the asian food I wanted. PM me your email if you want pics!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, have not been to the HND NH lounge. I have however seen the posts on FT. I'd say it's comparable? But since I haven't been to the HND lounge I don't feel comfortable enough comparing. However, out of all the lounges I've been to, I'd say the CX lounge for Business Class at the Pier at HKG is similar for asian offerings at BR in TPE in the InfinityLands? or what they call it - lounge. The Western offerings are better at the BR in TPE in the Infinity section (so if you're flying J) than CX. Then again my CX memories are when I was....15? So it's been a while, but doing the best I can to offer value to you!

From a lounge perspective, I'd say that for ME and my travels, the BR lounge was the best lounge i've ever been in. (not the Star Gold lounge if you're flying Y, but the Infinity lounge). Lots of reviews are online. My wife got the western food she wanted, and I got the asian food I wanted. PM me your email if you want pics!
Ok. Yes, it's NRT only as you alluded to.

Prices ex-YYZ (to NRT) are $5K which isn't great but not over the top I guess... let's see if AC is about the same...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Ah, you make too many assumptions my young padawan.

Hello Kitty is not a cat. Use your favorite search engine my friend. It'll BLOW your mind.

Hint (i'll do the leg work since i'm a nice person): http://www.people.com/article/hello-kitty-not-a-cat
I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting something like "hello kitty is a cat". But please, Hello Kitty is as close to a human as cat woman is close to a cat! (imho)

My wife is Caucasian, she got great service, albeit not from the entire cabin crew as she only speaks EN/FR. If you speak Mandarin which I presume you don't, the service is a notch more friendlier. (simply because of language barrier reasons)

Although I have been able to (very slightly) wrap my head around Japanese (can't speak it, but I understand the writing/speaking "system" (ish)), I can't wrap my head around mandarin/cantonese.

How is AC's Mandarin/Cantonese service on the Asian routes? Is it better than the Asian carrier's English service?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Prices ex-YYZ (to NRT) are $5K which isn't great but not over the top I guess... let's see if AC is about the same...
I'd say that at the end of the day, if AC offered a direct flight, I MIGHT take it. If AC was cheaper, oh yes, I'd take AC over BR in a heartbeat. If however the price was similar, I'd probably fly BR. I don't mind "wasting" my time on a vacation, but you might be flying for biz, so that might be a tipping factor.

If BR saves me $2000 in YQ for me and my wife, you know what I'd fly (and I did).

So cost/benefit analysis like all. Although I do hope you get a chance to fly BR. I'm GENUINELY interested as to your comments about that airline since you fly so goddamn much
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:02 pm

Search.

Maybe you will find an Easter egg. Who knows.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting something like "hello kitty is a cat". But please, Hello Kitty is as close to a human as cat woman is close to a cat! (imho)

Although I have been able to (very slightly) wrap my head around Japanese (can't speak it, but I understand the writing/speaking "system" (ish)), I can't wrap my head around mandarin/cantonese.

How is AC's Mandarin/Cantonese service on the Asian routes? Is it better than the Asian carrier's English service?
AC's mandarin service is similar to BR's English service. There are a few FA's who can speak Mandarin (I don't speak Cantonese, although I can understand it). You will get a few Mandarin speaking FA's on AC who will be "assigned" to you just like BR.

The love that is given to the people who aren't speaking the language on the airline that is flying them (e.g. the majority language) is different. AC has been indifferent to my parents who primarily speak mandarin. I strongly feel that BR accommodated my English only speaking wife much better than AC did for my parents.

How do I know this? I spoke Mandarin only on a AC flight when I was a kid and I spoke English only on BR35 from YYZ TPE. I felt more warmth and care on BR than I did AC (although to be fair it's not a fair comparison because we're comparing service over many years)
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:14 pm

AC's mandarin service is similar to BR's English service. There are a few FA's who can speak Mandarin (I don't speak Cantonese, although I can understand it). You will get a few Mandarin speaking FA's on AC who will be "assigned" to you just like BR.

The love that is given to the people who aren't speaking the language on the airline that is flying them (e.g. the majority language) is different. AC has been indifferent to my parents who primarily speak mandarin. I strongly feel that BR accommodated my English only speaking wife much better than AC did for my parents.

How do I know this? I spoke Mandarin only on a AC flight when I was a kid and I spoke English only on BR35 from YYZ TPE. I felt more warmth and care on BR than I did AC (although to be fair it's not a fair comparison because we're comparing service over many years)
You should try it again and report findings.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You should try it again and report findings.
You're assuming I'd pay for AC J. Unless the price is there, I'll NEVER pay for AC J. Sorry
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My full inbox...

Hi everyone

I know many of you have tried PM me but saw that my inbox is full... sorry about that. If you want to reach out to me for now, may I suggest using the email route (via FT)? The rate at which I administer my inbox is slower than the rate of PMs coming in
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi everyone

I know many of you have tried PM me but saw that my inbox is full... sorry about that. If you want to reach out to me for now, may I suggest using the email route (via FT)? The rate at which I administer my inbox is slower than the rate of PMs coming in
The problem for that is our email then gets "exposed". So just saying thats why most don't email you
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem for that is our email then gets "exposed". So just saying thats why most don't email you
Understood. So be it.

Regarding you request, as you may have noticed, the mods altered my post for you
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Fairly decent having flown YVRHKG multiple times before it went 77P and the AE enhancements.
(at that time, I was indifferent between AC and CX, but AC often had better pricing, oddly. Now, I strictly prefer CX/AA and would go so far as to prefer flying UA over AC.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.