Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This is not a complaint post so mods please don't remove it - just saying bye bye to the original Lounge Thread!
I feel compelled to observe a moment of silence.

The first page of posts on the original thread was epic.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyckerr

I know! Ahhh... I miss those days of FT... it's almost a 100% turnover from that time... only myself and maybe a couple dozen others from back then are left from what I see here nowadays...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Only problem is that I can't see those lasting more than 2 checked baggage journeys....
I don't check bags What's the point of this on a checked bag tho?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't check bags What's the point of this on a checked bag tho?
Hm. Fair enough.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So does anyone know the main differences in benefits and qualification requirements between the US issued Centurion and the Canadian issued card?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So does anyone know the main differences in benefits and qualification requirements between the US issued Centurion and the Canadian issued card?
Oh jeez - I'd love to say I knew the definite answer, but it's honestly been years since I looked up the diff on FT about the two. I have however learned that over the years it's much harder to get a US issued Centurion. Although one could argue you would get the Canadian Cent and then swap it over to a US Cent (if you can still do that). Given the demographics of Canadian salary and the smaller gap, I think it makes sense that we have to spend less to get it. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not spending my money, but have I gotten an invite? Yes. Did I turn it down? Yes - I don't need a CC to make me feel better. If the VALUE gotten out of it was greater than the cost, yes, I would have paid it. But for me, the value wasn't there. If it was, yes, I would have paid for the card and allegedly gotten a Plat Amex to cover the fact I had one (from what I remember, you could get a Plat supplemental to hide the fact you had a cent - again - years ago). YMMV, that's just what I would do, - I don't like drawing attention...I'm married already...and i'm fairly certain I am a kettle.

PS Most of our invites were a few years ago...during the bad economic recovery..

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 12, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Most of you don't know me personally, but one thing about me is that if I embark on an endeavour, I embark to the extreme and excel at it to the max. This is how I live my life... for better or for worse.

So, which is the best site to host photos to allow for embedding on FT posts? What do you guys use?

I have never bothered to take pictures or engage in any social media shenanigans (i.e. even when I go to a new city for the first time, quite often I do not bother to take pictures with the mentality that I can come back anytime I feel like it, under my own terms), but I think it is now time for me to take pictures of all of my AC adventures to drive home my points - because typed ASCII and Upper-ASCII characters just don't seem to resonate as much.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
So, which is the best site to host photos to allow for embedding on FT posts? What do you guys use?
Dunno about best but I quite like and use photobucket.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I'm starting to use imgur more
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Remember most of these sites will block pictures if sufficiently high traffic is directed to them (i think), trying to entice you with some kind of membership. Dropbox on the other hand will provide direct links with no such limits. (Facebook will do the same but finding the direct link is a bit tricky)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Google drive... OneDrive to name a few
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SEMM
There are lots - I use imgur - I don't know if there are any better ones but it works for me
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I just read it. Those were one of the funniest FT posts I have ever read here
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Interesting food for thought.

We all know that AC planes are flying fuller than ever. I saw a CBC thing today about how oil workers are now worried about their jobs and how Alberta is going in the tank. I know a lot of hard working oil people who self fund their travels on AC to go back and forth.

I wonder how the drop in oil prices will affect AC load on routes like Fort McMurray. Or in general, I wonder if oil prices will decrease AC load due to everyone losing money (stocks, mutual funds lately etc). Maybe a mini recession (well Alberta is going into the crapper as the mayor).

AC probably hedged its fuel (i'm no expert here) so it's not benefiting as much from the decline in oil prices. Food for thought.

And point #2 i'd like to ask is...

Every corporation under the sun is cutting on corporate travel (ours is no different). If corporate travelers bring up a sizable portion of the market, how is AC load higher than ever. Maybe we are a drop in the bucket? Thoughts?

Third? Question - what is more difficult? Weekly domestic flying or the long haul flying that some do? Honestly I only have a one sided view, just curious.

Is Rapidair weekly or is going to NRT/LHR more difficult maybe once a month?

I know we have some outliers on the forum...nomad/dorian for long haul...like 3x a week and Jayson who does rapidair daily...but outliers aside....what's tougher?

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Every corporation under the sun is cutting on corporate travel
Mine isn't. I know others who are increasing spending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.