Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

why does Air Canada assign exit row seats to children?

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Why does Air Canada allow children (5 years old in my case) to select exit row seats? Also, when no seat selection is available, why do they automatically put them into an exit row when due to their own rules they aren't allowed to sit there? I've had this happen several times. When I'm making the booking, they know that one of the passengers is a child; therefore, why am I able to select a seat for him that he will be moved from when we get on the plane? And when I can't select a specific seat, why is he put in an exit row? This is an issue because all the other seats were full and the only 2 seats not taken yet were 2 together in an exit row. Both times, it has resulted in us not sitting together on the plane. Once the flight attendant said "You can reach over across the aisle and touch your son, so that's fine, isn't it?"
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by saltspring
Why does Air Canada allow children (5 years old in my case) to select exit row seats? Also, when no seat selection is available, why do they automatically put them into an exit row when due to their own rules they aren't allowed to sit there? I've had this happen several times. When I'm making the booking, they know that one of the passengers is a child; therefore, why am I able to select a seat for him that he will be moved from when we get on the plane? And when I can't select a specific seat, why is he put in an exit row? This is an issue because all the other seats were full and the only 2 seats not taken yet were 2 together in an exit row. Both times, it has resulted in us not sitting together on the plane. Once the flight attendant said "You can reach over across the aisle and touch your son, so that's fine, isn't it?"
When selecting a seat on line, if you pick a exit row, you should get a pop up, asking questions regarding age, etc. If you don't answer the questions with the correct info, this problem will happen for you. If there is no seat selected, I can't answer that question, but I don't think you put pax age in for Dom flights.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
When selecting a seat on line, if you pick a exit row, you should get a pop up, asking questions regarding age, etc. If you don't answer the questions with the correct info, this problem will happen for you. If there is no seat selected, I can't answer that question, but I don't think you put pax age in for Dom flights.
If you don't pay for seat selection, this problem may happen for you.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: *G
It used to happen because in their haste to get the flight out, agents did whatever was quickest, knowing that in-flight would have to sort it out, thus transferring the blame for any delay.

Now that much of it seems to be automated, maybe it's just another unintended consequence of AC's IT.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
If you don't pay for seat selection, this problem may happen for you.
I don't pay for seat selection and I always get the pop up asking pax for info regarding exit row seating.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I don't pay for seat selection and I always get the pop up asking pax for info regarding exit row seating.

Perhaps because you get preferred seating at no extra charge?

And you are right, I should have elaborated for the OP because it doesn't appear he has status of any sort. So, OP: some passengers get exit row seats for "free" because of their status. Some people pay for them, because they offer extra room. You may have (not clear from your story). Or you may have been assigned on check in automatically because that is the way AC's systems work. Irrespective of all that, if you had answered the 5 questions you wouldn't have ended up in those seats. Passengers in exit row seats must speak English or French, and must be capable of lifting an emergency exit (I forget what the other 3 questions are!). But the best way to make sure you are seated with a travel companion where you want to be seated is to pay for a fare that includes seat selection, or pay for seat selection independently (with a Tango fare), in seats which you are legally able to occupy. You will get precious little sympathy here (based on prior postings and the general consensus) if you aren't willing to pay and you count on the airlines' charity or the charity of other passengers to be seated next to a traveling companion. Short story: if you need it, and you do when traveling with a child, pay for it.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

In my most recent instance, when I booked my ticket, my travel agent said that advance seat selection simply wasn't available and didn't even offer it as an option. I called Air Canada myself and was told the same thing. I was travelling on an international itinerary (YYJ to NGO) and in a fare class that permits free seat selection, but it wasn't possible. I was puzzled as to why.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

In my most recent instance, when I booked my ticket, my travel agent said that advance seat selection simply wasn't available and didn't even offer it as an option. I called Air Canada myself and was told the same thing. I was travelling on an international itinerary (YYJ to NGO) and in a fare class that permits free seat selection, but it wasn't possible. I was puzzled as to why.
What airline were you flying? The AC segments always allow seat select(this is bonus $$$ for them), but some foreign airlines do not allow seat selection on lower fares.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

What airline were you flying? The AC segments always allow seat select(this is bonus $$$ for them), but some foreign airlines do not allow seat selection on lower fares.
I was flying on Air Canada from yyj to yvr, and yvr to nrt, and ANA from nrt to ngo. I was told both by Air Canada and my travel agent when I booked the ticket that seat selection was unavailable, but I wasn't told why.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I was flying on Air Canada from yyj to yvr, and yvr to nrt, and ANA from nrt to ngo. I was told both by Air Canada and my travel agent when I booked the ticket that seat selection was unavailable, but I wasn't told why.
Last October two of us bought S class fares in Y on ANA to NRT & CGT and we were able to pick seats on-line right away no issues?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:09 am
Suspended

I think I would get a new travel agent if I were you. Better yet, phone the airline direct or use their website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.