Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reward flight YYC-FRA without fuel surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K

Hello everyone, I'm new to flyertalk. I want to book an Aeroplan reward flight from Calgary to Frankfurt and have never done this before. I don't seem to be able to find a flight without fuel surcharges. My general question is if it is possible to fly UA or another airline from Canada? I haven't quite understood if I have to fly to the US first and find a UA flight from there. Has anybody done this or can somebody give me a hint on how to search? Will the required miles go up?

Thank you very much for your help.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wernair
Hello everyone, I'm new to flyertalk. I want to book an Aeroplan reward flight from Calgary to Frankfurt and have never done this before. I don't seem to be able to find a flight without fuel surcharges. My general question is if it is possible to fly UA or another airline from Canada? I haven't quite understood if I have to fly to the US first and find a UA flight from there. Has anybody done this or can somebody give me a hint on how to search? Will the required miles go up?

You certainly can book a UA RT between Calgary and Frankfurt via the US, but you have to find dates when seats on such an all-UA routing are available. Then it shows up in a standard search on the aeroplan site. You don't have to fly to the US first to find a flight. It's an integrated itinerary. You will save about $450 per seat on charges as things are current priced.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Check for Singapore Airlines from JFK if for Y seating as they have nice service and you could stop in NYC. Maybe tough to get to JFK though as AC flies 2-3 times a day and UA may have some very limited service there if at all.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
You can fly to the USA on either AC or UA. From there if you take UA across the Atlantic, you will see a savings of about $450.

This is all on one ticket.

You can search on aeroplan.com, and look for a UA itinerary - but the website prefers the flights with extortionate fees, so you may not find it.

You can also search award travel on united.com - and look for blue "saver" awards - if you find them, call Aeroplan and tell them the flight numbers and they will book you on them.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:14 pm

It's very possible to connect in the US. United, Turkish, Brussels, Swiss, and Singapore Airlines all don't have fuel surcharges on their flights.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Thank you guys. Is there a favorable airport in the US to connect?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can fly to the USA on either AC or UA. From there if you take UA across the Atlantic, you will see a savings of about $450.
Many problems with this strategy.

1. This adds at least 3-4 hours or more to your flight and you arrive later in the day which kills much of your first day.

2. You can only go to the cities where UA flies nonstop. Look at their route map and this is very limited.

3. Also, the availability of UA transatlantic flights, especially NA -> Europe at there super saver rate of 30K points is very very low. Ironicaly, UA's Mileage plus program relies on AC flights to cover their European availability. And get this - they don't charge a surcharge on the AC flights. The same flights booked through Aeroplan have the surcharge. Is that maddening or what!

4. The only place UA goes with much availability is Geneva, which few people want to visit. Then you'd have to book another flight to go where you want. It might be cheaper to book a discount airline than to pay the fuel surcharge and go directly where you want, but the savings will be small and the hassle large.

5. Coming back through the US is a major pain. You have to collect you baggage and go through customs/immigration. This means that you have to allow for a long layover. Customs within the same country or Shengen is much easier.

Bottom line is that Aeroplan has you by the short and curlies and there is little you can do about it.

Last edited by carlost; Jan 8, 2015 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you guys. Is there a favorable airport in the US to connect?
"Least painful" might be a better question. If you don't have Nexus/Global entry they will all likely be painful! JFK likely fairly painful along with IAD (esp on the return). I like SFO but not sure if that will exceed MPM, probably. Swiss fly from there. LAX may require a terminal change, ORD is subject to weather issues. It's no picnic but I would not want to fork over $700+ for a free ticket, esp in Y!! There are fares to Europe from YEG for that right now and you earn points!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. The poster is looking to save $500 - so we are providing options for that request, nothing else. But lets see

1. Its the same as connecting in YYZ on AC when the OP is coming from YYC.

2. UA has far more European destinations served nonstop from IAD or EWR than AC does. Its not even close. The OP is going to FRA, UA has more daily flights to FRA than AC does

3. I ll give you availability is better on AC than UA in economy. And yes it is maddening that AC gouges their own flyers by charging $500 in YQ on AC flights, and UA doesnt. Also, I can change flights/dates at will for FREE up to 21 daye before flight, even with no status when redeeming a UA award, redeeming AE points, even top tiers pay $102 for the slightest change

4. Terrible advice. Why would you have to book another flight on a low cost from GVA? Its a LX hub - and you can connect from there to anywhere in Europe on the same award. Same would go for BRU, CPH, OSL, LIS, all European star hubs, and UA destinations with good award availability.

5. Goes back to the least painful airport to connect (which I would say is IAD - because connecting flights get separate immigration from arriving ones).
This is a matter of personal preference, but with Global Entry, I dont care if I have to connect in the USA to save $500.

Originally Posted by carlost

1. This adds at least 3-4 hours or more to your flight and you arrive later in the day which kills much of your first day.

2. You can only go to the cities where UA flies nonstop. Look at their route map and this is very limited.

3. Also, the availability of UA transatlantic flights, especially NA -> Europe at there super saver rate of 30K points is very very low. Ironicaly, UA's Mileage plus program relies on AC flights to cover their European availability. And get this - they don't charge a surcharge on the AC flights. The same flights booked through Aeroplan have the surcharge. Is that maddening or what!

4. The only place UA goes with much availability is Geneva, which few people want to visit. Then you'd have to book another flight to go where you want. It might be cheaper to book a discount airline than to pay the fuel surcharge and go directly where you want, but the savings will be small and the hassle large.

5. Coming back through the US is a major pain. You have to collect you baggage and go through customs/immigration. This means that you have to allow for a long layover. Customs within the same country or Shengen is much easier.

Bottom line is that Aeroplan has you by the short and curlies and there is little you can do about it.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:58 am

Not really. You can find flights that arrive in the morning/afternoon

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23094149-post111.html

There are enough routes on that list (not United only). Sure, perhaps availability isn't going to be great on all of them, but there are enough routes so that you can try different ones and figure out a way to get to your destination. Nobody said it's going to necessarily be easy to do that, but it doesn't have to involve arrival late in the afternoon either.

You have to look harder.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:02 am

4. Terrible advice. Why would you have to book another flight on a low cost from GVA? Its a LX hub - and you can connect from there to anywhere in Europe on the same award. Same would go for BRU, CPH, OSL, LIS, all European star hubs, and UA destinations with good award availability.

I was looking at June for example, and, granted, it's peak season, but there is no Economy availability at all for a lot of United routes from the US to these hubs... Like I said, though, will have to look harder...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:08 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K

This is pretty much the exact opposite of how you should be looking at it and is mostly wrong according to all the info accumulated on FT about this topic over the years. Nobody wants to go to GVA, really?

If you want to avoid scamcharges find flights on UA, SN, LX or TK. LO has very low scamcharges. Avoid LHR.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
If you want to avoid scamcharges find flights on UA, SN, LX or TK. LO has very low scamcharges. Avoid LHR.
Exactly, except for the last part.
The LHR boogey man makes an awful lot of appearances on FT.

The fact is, connecting in LHR only costs a few $ more than connecting in FRA, CDG, ZRH. Its departing LHR that kills
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:51 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Exactly, except for the last part.
The LHR boogey man makes an awful lot of appearances on FT.

The fact is, connecting in LHR only costs a few $ more than connecting in FRA, CDG, ZRH. Its departing LHR that kills
I stand corrected and will stop perpetuating the LHR boogeyman
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:55 am

UA has no availability for June for flights to Zurich, Copenhagen, Brussels etc ...... Is some going to open up later or does one need to book for June waay in advance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.