Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YUL Inbound hold at origin until 5pm [SUN JAN 4, 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SparseFlyer
List of cancelled AC flights:
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...usByAirport.do

Inbound

Outbound
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Have a few friends and fam flying AC to YUL from So Fla today and noticed there's a WX inbound hold on all flights to Dorval at origin until 5pm.

What a mess this is going to be across AC's system. On likely a top 10 busiest traffic day of the year for AC, I'd guesstimate.

How unfortunate
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
How bad is the weather in YUL? This insane snow storm thing never really hit YYZ. In fact, most of the snow has melted by now...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Lots of ice.
Never got as warm as forecast ...

Winter is here when you watch forecast highs come down a degree or 2 every hour. High of 10' forecast at one point. Struggling to get to zero.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And to think I almost went to YUL this weekend...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What's new? There are always major weather issues over the Christmas/New Years period, nothing extraordinary...completely expected at this time of year. Over the last couple of years there have been even worse shutdowns in central Canada. Sorry your relatives will be delayed but that's what to expect this time of year, holiday or not. (For those of us stuck here in the Great White North, it's hard to have much sympathy for people who have spent the past week or two in the warmth and sun of Florida!)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: *$ Green
The weather is .... here.

Not because it's a major snow storm, or a major ice storm.

It's just that we got some kind of weird ... mesh of snow/water/ice that gets all messed up once on the floor. I'd rather drive in 10ft of snow than in the current conditions.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:40 pm

As I typed this message, a nearby tree fell to the ground.

I also had intermittent very short electricity interruptions. Nothing long enough to turn off the computer, but just long enough to reset the alarm clocks and phones.

Edit: A second tree just fell. Cats are freaking out.

Edit 2:

Rule 32 - Fallen tree branch

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 4, 2015 at 3:54 pm Reason: oversize image
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Have a few friends and fam flying AC to YUL from So Fla today and noticed there's a WX inbound hold on all flights to Dorval at origin until 5pm.

What a mess this is going to be across AC's system. On likely a top 10 busiest traffic day of the year for AC, I'd guesstimate.

How unfortunate
I can think of many worse places to be stuck due to weather, at least they got an extended vacation at no cost.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How bad is the weather in YUL? This insane snow storm thing never really hit YYZ. In fact, most of the snow has melted by now...
Ice pellets followed by freezing rain followed by rain makes it very difficult to keep runway surface contamination to within limits for landing. I'm not surprised by the delays at all.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to any Montrealer, freezing rain at this time of year is common place and on this date in 1998 the ice storm of the century hit Montreal. No surprise here that AC is canceling and holding flights - it's the responsible thing to do.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:45 pm

It's pretty nasty. 15 cm of snow/ice pellets last night. 2-3 cm of freezing rain on top of that. Then rain. Now it's freezing again. -17 tomorrow, and -23 later in the week. Glad we still have electricity!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69
It's pretty nasty. 15 cm of snow/ice pellets last night. 2-3 cm of freezing rain on top of that. Then rain. Now it's freezing again. -17 tomorrow, and -23 later in the week. Glad we still have electricity!
I've had interruption spasms. Hoping it will not break down.

In 1998, we had to take refuge in a nearby building, which happened to be a transiting station for the Bank of Canada.

Looking forward to seeing it with adult eyes this time I guess lol
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
As I typed this message, a nearby tree fell to the ground.

I also had intermittent very short electricity interruptions. Nothing long enough to turn off the computer, but just long enough to reset the alarm clocks and phones.

Edit: A second tree just fell. Cats are freaking out.

Edit 2:

Rule 32 - Fallen tree branch
Kinda sucks, but that has what to do with AC/AP?
Seems like it belongs in a different forum, no?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Kinda sucks, but that has what to do with AC/AP?
Seems like it belongs in a different forum, no?
lol....

I just thought OP asked what was happening in Montreal.

Hence, me showing what is happening in Montreal. lol
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Weather's as described above... pretty ugly and it's only going to get colder.

I'm sitting at home instead of at the transborder MLL because my evening flight turned into a morning flight. Just hope the delay doesn't drag on further than that.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
YTZ to YUL starting to move ... maybe

Am at YTZ waiting for an AC plane to come in to get me back to YUL (one is in the air from YUL!!!), although with the weather reports you guys are posting, maybe I would be better off waiting until the morning.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dibby
Am at YTZ waiting for an AC plane to come in to get me back to YUL (one is in the air from YUL!!!), although with the weather reports you guys are posting, maybe I would be better off waiting until the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.