Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's a magazine. I choose to put it there. How is that against the law/rule?
Because you're interfering with an advertised feature (reclining) of another passenger's seat.

Roughly equivalent to me turning your light off whenever you turned it on because it annoyed me.

If you want more space, there are seats that offer it.
Eh, I get using a magazine. I have a builtin blocker for recline though, my knees. At well over 6' the only good time to recline is when I get up, but then when I sit back down my knees end up in your back - maybe that's a lumbar support? Unadvertised feature!

Anyway, reclining is somewhat the bane of my existence, but then I make a point of not doing it - even in J.

People who hard recline could easily smash a laptop screen or otherwise, they should be careful.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
1. fuel dumps
2. hidden cities
3.join any other airline program.

just in case your still not aware how to save lots on AC with Hidden cities. Skiplagged.com

Last edited by why fly; Dec 31, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:39 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I spend a few minutes pre-programming my IFE playlist upon getting to my seat so that I can use my Bose QC20's plugged into the IFE to listen to it during taxi and takeoff... and landing. No mundane engine drone or wailing babies to contend with.
+1 - or when in a pod I ensure my earbud earphones are ready to be plugged in, despite normally using my over-ear noise-cancelling Beats at all other times. Although the FA's usually close the screens before the entertainment system is re-released following the safety breifing and the ads, I always crack it open a bit afterwards to select a SiriusXM channel or listen to a playlist. Had one or two ask to close the screen if they see me do it, but always just smile and walk away when I tell them what I'm doing.

For pods (and this is very common, but still see some people not doing it) when I first get to my pod I toss the pillow and blanket into the dead space behind the seat back, until I need them.

When on a 6+ hour flight, I get to my seat, claim my luggage space, change into flight socks, then visit the bathroom to change into PJ pants. Be comfortable when flying - who cares if I'm wearing dress pants or jeans?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by maradori
sheeeeeeeeeeeit what a brillian travel hack! Going to do this from now on. I know that pretty much all the airlines in North America prohibits the use of knee defender on their flights, but using the airline's own in flight magazine? brilliant!!
Good that you switched programs then, and hopefully won't be seeing you on any AC flights. Now if only we could get rid of all the other d-bags like the original poster who feel it is within their right to behave like that in air travel. Not cool, not acceptable, and I hope karma gets you guys right back in the rear end. Flying could be so much more civilized if passengers weren't always racing to the bottom in their behaviour.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:41 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Good that you switched programs then, and hopefully won't be seeing you on any AC flights. Now if only we could get rid of all the other d-bags like the original poster who feel it is within their right to behave like that in air travel. Not cool, not acceptable, and I hope karma gets you guys right back in the rear end. Flying could be so much more civilized if passengers weren't always racing to the bottom in their behaviour.
+1. You would not want to deal with me if you ever initiated some kind of seat blocking mechanism!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
When flying in Europe on LH or OS which both weigh carryons:

1) Do OLCI if you are traveling only with hand luggage to skip the weigh-ins and go straight to the gate or...
2) Put your liquids and heavier items in a briefcase or coat pocket as those don't get weighed then re-insert into your carryon post checkin. Sadly, AF has started weighing briefcases too which makes the coat pockets extra important.

When flying on TK where they tend to fill the plane front to back in Y, if you want an empty seat next to you in Y choose a window near the back.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Seen every AC movie and want to watch my iPad Mini that has the Smart Cover. I hang it perfectly from the pod screen.

Greatest. Hack. Ever.

Used it on my flight yesterday. Amazing.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
to get around those badly maintained trays in J where it is sloping down or forms a V (split design) and nothing stays on. Just use one of the EnRoute pages or blow in cards and fold part of it up 10 ways to Sunday and insert it in the hinge area (at the seat arm). Mash it down a few times and the tray should be flat as a pancake--sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right. Easier if they just fixed the trays or designed them better.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Adding this one as per yyznomad's suggestion Best $10 or so I have ever spent in my life (used it on my BR flight as I knew it was going to be warm)

Quote (I bought a USB fan from Amazon to deal with hot flights):

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but I had a USB fan I stuck in the seat. It helped quite a bit. However, if drinking heavily, you may find yourself smashing your face into the fan which you forgot was there after sleeping. That does hurt...quite a bit...but it doesn't actually cause any lasting damages, and so have another few drinks and you're good to go"
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by djkyyc
You can put it there. You simply need to remove it while I recline, then you can put it back!

I'm considerate, I won't recline during meal time and when I do recline it will be slowly so you don't spill your drink.
Being the OP on the magazine hack I too am considerate when deploying the hack and throughout the conversation that sometimes follows when the pax in front complains.

For starters, at best the space where recline is shared, no one passenger owns the space. Out of the 4.5 inches of recline, I don't have any problem with the pax wanting first 2 inches, it's the last 2.5 inches causing the problem.the biggest problem is on daytime transcontinental flights where the pax in front wants to fully recline for no apparent reason other than to grab the maximum amount of space available and no consideration for other pax around.

For starters I do not employ the hack when it obvious sleep time (eg departing or arriving late at night, international east bound TransAt, etc.).

Also the primary purpose of the hack is to save my laptop from getting destroyed. This hack requires the meal tray to be down. When I use the hack it is because I am also using the meal tray, either for laptop or for meal time.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because you're interfering with an advertised feature (reclining) of another passenger's seat.

Roughly equivalent to me turning your light off whenever you turned it on because it annoyed me.

If you want more space, there are seats that offer it.
For starters, recline is not an advertised feature that can form part of a complaint to regulatory authority. You cannot go before a regulatory body and say that you are owed compensation because airline X refused to provide you with a reclining seat.

Interesting that you brought up the light issue, I view recline and light to be in the same category of we all have to get along and compromise to make everyone mostly happy flight. I fully realize that while pax A wants to sleep pax B wants to get work done or just read a good book. This is where time of flight becomes the key deciding factor. I do not anticipate doing work on 9pm departure YYZ-YYC flight, so I would not employ the magazine hack nor would I turn on the overhead light. However 10am departure I would expect to be able to work and I d not anticipate the pax in front has a requirement to sleep.

Originally Posted by djkyyc
Appreciate knowing this. If I ever can't recline now I know where to look behind me to fix the issue. I am assuming an FA would look after the offender immediately if they don't voluntarily remove their impromptu seat recline blocking device.
I have experienced FA enquiries while employing the magazine hack. The key is to remain level headed non emotional throughout the conversation and offer valid reasons for my actions. Usually the other side has gone raving mad and their demeanour pushes the FAA over to my reason level headed approach. The other pax and I usually end up splitting the difference and they get 2 inch recline and I can continue to work.

There is one other argument up my sleeve, for 9 dollar buy on board purchase I can get the FA onto my side as it's now meal time. I also offer to buy the guy in front the first round as a compensation offer for their troubles.

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Now if only we could get rid of all the other d-bags like the original poster who feel it is within their right to behave like that in air travel. Not cool, not acceptable, and I hope karma gets you guys right back in the rear end. Flying could be so much more civilized if passengers weren't always racing to the bottom in their behaviour.
I used to get offended at the mean comments such as d-bag, but now I actually search them out. See my comments above. For clarity, level headed calm approach almost always beats out foaming at the mouth mad.

Originally Posted by RZR
+1. You would not want to deal with me if you ever initiated some kind of seat blocking mechanism!
See above, the moment you go raving mad and threaten to escalate the situation, the less chance you have of winning the day. So go ahead make my day. Watch for that little smile and twinkle in my eye when you raise the threat level with the FA right beside, for I have just won.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
It is technically against WestJet and AC policy to use the knee defender. Not sure about using a mag to do the same thing though...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Being the OP on the magazine hack I too am considerate when deploying the hack and throughout the conversation that sometimes follows when the pax in front complains.

For starters, at best the space where recline is shared, no one passenger owns the space. Out of the 4.5 inches of recline, I don't have any problem with the pax wanting first 2 inches, it's the last 2.5 inches causing the problem.the biggest problem is on daytime transcontinental flights where the pax in front wants to fully recline for no apparent reason other than to grab the maximum amount of space available and no consideration for other pax around.

For starters I do not employ the hack when it obvious sleep time (eg departing or arriving late at night, international east bound TransAt, etc.).

Also the primary purpose of the hack is to save my laptop from getting destroyed. This hack requires the meal tray to be down. When I use the hack it is because I am also using the meal tray, either for laptop or for meal time.

For starters, recline is not an advertised feature that can form part of a complaint to regulatory authority. You cannot go before a regulatory body and say that you are owed compensation because airline X refused to provide you with a reclining seat.

Interesting that you brought up the light issue, I view recline and light to be in the same category of we all have to get along and compromise to make everyone mostly happy flight. I fully realize that while pax A wants to sleep pax B wants to get work done or just read a good book. This is where time of flight becomes the key deciding factor. I do not anticipate doing work on 9pm departure YYZ-YYC flight, so I would not employ the magazine hack nor would I turn on the overhead light. However 10am departure I would expect to be able to work and I d not anticipate the pax in front has a requirement to sleep.

I have experienced FA enquiries while employing the magazine hack. The key is to remain level headed non emotional throughout the conversation and offer valid reasons for my actions. Usually the other side has gone raving mad and their demeanour pushes the FAA over to my reason level headed approach. The other pax and I usually end up splitting the difference and they get 2 inch recline and I can continue to work.

There is one other argument up my sleeve, for 9 dollar buy on board purchase I can get the FA onto my side as it's now meal time. I also offer to buy the guy in front the first round as a compensation offer for their troubles.

I used to get offended at the mean comments such as d-bag, but now I actually search them out. See my comments above. For clarity, level headed calm approach almost always beats out foaming at the mouth mad.

See above, the moment you go raving mad and threaten to escalate the situation, the less chance you have of winning the day. So go ahead make my day. Watch for that little smile and twinkle in my eye when you raise the threat level with the FA right beside, for I have just won.
Lol

Potential psychopath detected

That's not very good behaviour, but that's just my opinion.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It is technically against WestJet and AC policy to use the knee defender. Not sure about using a mag to do the same thing though...
I love how each side things the other is completely unreasonable over this.

The fault clearly lies with AC and it's inability to operate an airline with reasonable seat pitch and a seat back that doesn't allow the passenger behind to knee you right in the back. Crap seats, and crap pitch cause the conflict. Period.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
My circadian rhythm is different than yours. What is "obvious" sleep time for the entire cabin?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:21 pm

However 10am departure I would expect to be able to work and I d not anticipate the pax in front has a requirement to sleep.
Get a smaller laptop for travel if you can't open it when the seat in front is reclined. Or book bulkheads, or PY, or J. Or another airline which meets your requirements.

I don't give a damn if you think the person in front of you has legitimate reason to recline or not. Just because it is 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm doesn't mean ****. Who's to say they haven't been flying all night from Europe, South America, Asia, Australia or a redeye from the coast and they are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th flight of their day and extremely tired. If you don't remove anything blocking recline when asked, there would be a major problem onboard. And guess who crew will be siding with 100% of the time.

When the seat in front of me isn't fully reclined, I anticipate that they may do the jerk move and jam it back in a blink. Plan where your expensive devices are accordingly. It's that simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.