Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yyznomad
As opposed to wet towels on TK, LO, etc.?

I look forward to the wet towels when I'm tired... gives me a momentary kick... like splashing one's face with water.
Some towels have a nice lemon or other scent. I read once that CX or SQ have a mild antibacterial as well.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Presto
Seat 19C/H 777 two class: during boarding, pull the AV screen half-way up and angle it in; serves as an excellent deflector of boarding passengers bags and feet.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I look forward to the wet towels when I'm tired... gives me a momentary kick... like splashing one's face with water.
I look forward to them as well. However, I did like how every towel on BR was sealed in a wrapper thing. They are one time use (allegedly). Upside? Cleanliness and it was nicely scented. Downside? It was not hot...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Know that Canada is included in the US book of driver's licences (not the international edition). Some TSA bozos don't know that Canada is a country, or that it is in North America.
That is a key one. Have had many bars try to turn me away until I told them to go the back 10 pages of their US book.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC:50K
If you're planning on watching a movie, start it playing as soon as you sit down. By the time the plane reaches cruising altitude, the adverts will be over.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
That is a key one. Have had many bars try to turn me away until I told them to go the back 10 pages of their US book.
Unique to Alberta, the DL is called Operator's License. Fortunately since inclusion of Nexus into TSA precheck the smurf document checkers are better able to recognize the Nexus Card.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by cperciva
If you're planning on watching a movie, start it playing as soon as you sit down. By the time the plane reaches cruising altitude, the adverts will be over.
I just fast-forward them
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by cperciva
The is the old method. FF is enabled now.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I FF the ads and start the movie while on the ground (sometimes FF a previous show I hadn't finished watching to get to that point) . . .
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
- when choosing seats on any airline that has 3 seats in the middle section, find a row that has the other 2 already booked and take the remaining aisle. on AC's 777 i always pick row G where D/E are already taken. reason : G has more legroom, and if the other 2 seats are taken, chances are its a couple and the middle person will climb over the other guy, not you.. hence uninterrupted sleep.

- i've seen people bringing collapsible stools and using them as footrests in bulkhead seats in Y class
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Some hacks from my files.

When sitting in coach, point the cabin air nozzle at your knees. This way if buddy in front fully reclines, they will get uncomfortable very quickly as cold air will be pointed at their head. This has many benefits; (1) allows the person in front a little recline without discomfort. (2) If the person infront passes gas the airflow will deflect the smell downward. (3) keeps you comfortable throughout the flight.

Another knee and space saving hack. If you are working on laptop with meal tray folded down. stick half thickness of the enRoute magazine between the tray legs and the seat infront. In most cases this will prevent the person infront from reclining and will also save your laptop screen from getting crushed if the person in front explosively reclines.

Bonus hack for UA. Monitor the seat map from your cell phone to see if there are seat poachers to your UA e+ middle seat. Some pax comes by and says, hey thats my seat, the seat map will confirm whether the seat is occupied. A quick screen refresh will determine if you want to ask to see their boarding card. In the past year I had three instances of potential seat poachers on UA flights. me look at poacher boarding card and exclaiming " This is seat 8B, let me help you find your seat which is 28F, that's the second last row on your left, enjoy your flight'. If they complain further I ask them to talk with the FA, so far no one has taken my offer to have the FA arbitrate.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Some hacks from my files.

When sitting in coach, point the cabin air nozzle at your knees. This way if buddy in front fully reclines, they will get uncomfortable very quickly as cold air will be pointed at their head. This has many benefits; (1) allows the person in front a little recline without discomfort. (2) If the person infront passes gas the airflow will deflect the smell downward. (3) keeps you comfortable throughout the flight.

Another knee and space saving hack. If you are working on laptop with meal tray folded down. stick half thickness of the enRoute magazine between the tray legs and the seat infront. In most cases this will prevent the person infront from reclining and will also save your laptop screen from getting crushed if the person in front explosively reclines.
Paragraph #1 = wouldn't this be a good thing for the reclining person if they enjoy a bit of cold air? (I mean I would!) - not sure what you've seen in your travels

Paragraph #2 = got my attention. But I don't get it, can you please explain further? Maybe it'll make more sense once I get on my next flight...but i'm not getting it...and would love to know!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:11 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Hmm, curious where you get the tool for snipping?
I pierce a smal hole with fork, then use knife to make appropriate width for button.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Paragraph #2 = got my attention. But I don't get it, can you please explain further? Maybe it'll make more sense once I get on my next flight...but i'm not getting it...and would love to know!
Similar behaviour to the knee defender - just a bit more archaic
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Most of my flying is within NA, mostly Y and a lot of Express, so here are my ideas:

1- When I have a briefcase or small personal item under the seat, I take it out after take off and place it in the space between my seat and the one ahead of me. This makes room for my feet under the seat ahead of me, and leaves the bag under my thighs.

2- Occasionally, I have a few extra liquids in my carry on. If this happens, I just put one bag of liquids in a bin with my coat, and the second bag in a bin with my belt, phone, and watch. Nobody ever cares.

These two points do make my travel easier and more comfortable, but at the end of the day, there is nothing easy or comfortable about years of Elite status earned by segments, mainly on AC express!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.