Wiki Posts
Search

R0P9 -- The End of IKK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Thank you for the feedback. I can appreciate the frustration you must feel, and I will do what I can to ensure RM is being fair with their inventory controls. This kind of thing isn't lost on me, I assure you
So tie IKK to P instead of R.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:21 am
Suspended

Thank you for the feedback. I can appreciate the frustration you must feel, and I will do what I can to ensure RM is being fair with their inventory controls. This kind of thing isn't lost on me, I assure you
Instead of leaving us guessing and assuming what AC might or might not intend, why not give us AC's idea of a "good SE" and what AC might be able to offer in return to them.

So, it might come down to "we budget one upgrade per $10,000 spend" or "SEs should expect to be able to IKK the equivalent mileage earned by flying without restriction etc etc.

This silly game of chicken isn't constructive wher AC markets something, regrets it, and then blames their SEs for the losses.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Allvest
Instead of leaving us guessing and assuming what AC might or might not intend, why not give us AC's idea of a "good SE" and what AC might be able to offer in return to them.
This is an interesting suggestion. I would like to know "where I stand".
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

So, it might come down to "we budget one upgrade per $10,000 spend" or "SEs should expect to be able to IKK the equivalent mileage earned by flying without restriction etc etc.

This silly game of chicken isn't constructive wher AC markets something, regrets it, and then blames their SEs for the losses.
While this idea is interesting in it's proposal this if ever done serves no benefit and all disadvantage to both AC and FF.

If the SE falls above the "expectation" then they are going to ask that they get more because they are above average etc.

If one falls below it they are going to feel bad about themselves, worried that benefits will get cut, and go somewhere else where they are appreciated and praised.

There is actually no good that can come out of sharing a number like that in the long term.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by pmax
I think part of the problem is that the international long hauls seem to be much more restricted. Domestic/transborder/sun seems to still have at least some availability but the long hauls look unobtainable.

Since the inventory management system has had much added complexity (many more options is by definition more complexity), it's quite possible that employees aren't even realizing that they're eliminating the IKK benefit as a side effect of some other action.
Honestly I could entirely see this being the answer.

Look at how ac.com wouldn't let you book int'l return trips for days and it didn't get fixed until I got in touch with Ben.

Another example, I always booked J for YVRYULBRUKGL on the AC website Some change happened on their site a few months back making it really hard to book this route easily....so I've moved on a book it elsewhere...or more likely I just book via IST on TK now. My guess is there is no way any AC staff member knows they've killed off this direct revenue.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Could you clarify what you mean by this for me?

The notion of a 'good SE' versus (I'll assume) a 'bad SE' is illogical to me, and i'd like to understand what you are alluding to.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Could you clarify what you mean by this for me?

The notion of a 'good SE' versus (I'll assume) a 'bad SE' is illogical to me, and i'd like to understand what you are alluding to.
Apparently I am a bad SE as my butt cheapens their J seat.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:15 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Apparently I am a bad SE as my butt cheapens their J seat.
Ahhhh. That again. I'm sorry I asked.

Carry-on!
(the expression, not the luggage)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
To my knowledge there is still no other FFP that offers the same level of availability to its top tier elites, and we use the J inventory restrictions on international flights as a way to try and ensure we can maintain it.
Can only speak for United Mileage Plus. UA offers 100% more than Air Canada to their 100K. From Upgrade inventory to premium award @ saver level on most popular routes,including on their new 788 & 789.

Check this thread out on UA Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-2015-a.html

IMHO, AC long Haul J cabin has had little or no upgrade or award space in 2014.

In 2014 I tried to get award space for 1 seat from SYD, was unable to get any for the whole year. On United not only did I get a saver award in low season; also for DEC 20 SYD-LAX. SFO-SYD 3 JAN 2015 . Not 365 days booked mid Nov 2014.
In addition had 100% success on upgrades to MEL & SYD. All cleared well in advance. Not at the gate.

When early in 2014 I discovered Air Canada was severely restriction upgrade & award inventory on its lnternational flights, I decided it was time I also restrict my loyalty. Thus for the first time in 2014 since 2003 not $ was spent on flights to Australia for myself & our company employees. All went to United.
Last week we booked 6 employees for travel in FEB 2015 to SYD, All on United. United got it because in Nov 2014 I was able to get saver award from SYD for Christmas Travel in First Class. AC lost over $2.5K per ticket.

Loyalty is 2 ways. Not one way.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 4, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:40 pm

When someone joins the Attitude/Aeroplan programmes, he/she has an expectation that he/she should have reasonable access to "perks" and "benefits" outlined in the programmes. This is by no mean "guaranteed" and subject to availability.

However, if one tries to redeem a seat at 8~9 months in advance, and after checking everyday for the two weeks prior and two weeks after the preferred travel date and there is absolutely NO availability, it's a "scam".

Example: Take a look at AC15 and AC16, when do you ever see an "I" reward seat ever available for Classic redemption?

I don't expect to find seat on every flight, but I should be able to find seats on at least some flights. If there is no seat on any day for four consecutive weeks at 8~9 months out, my conclusion is that there is simply no seat ever available.

Releasing some reward seats for redemption even on "high demand" routes are necessary to maintain the integrity of your programme and is a necessary cost of doing business.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
When someone joins the Attitude/Aeroplan programmes, he/she has an expectation that he/she should have reasonable access to "perks" and "benefits" outlined in the programmes. This is by no mean "guaranteed" and subject to availability.

However, if one tries to redeem a seat at 8~9 months in advance, and after checking everyday for the two weeks prior and two weeks after the preferred travel date and there is absolutely NO availability, it's a "scam".

Example: Take a look at AC15 and AC16, when do you ever see an "I" reward seat ever available for Classic redemption?

I don't expect to find seat on every flight, but I should be able to find seats on at least some flights. If there is no seat on any day for four consecutive weeks at 8~9 months out, my conclusion is that there is simply no seat ever available.
I don't disagree with you, and i'm not defending Ben/AC on this, but it's really not their realm. That's an Aeroplan question and i'm sure if anyone representing Aeroplan would post on FT, they'd be mutilated...and then brought to the brink of death repeatedly....the reality is that AC and AE are two separate orgs. The issue of a classic redemption is an Aeroplan issue as they buy seats from AC (And AE is AC's biggest customer..., they could buy more seats for us to redeem?)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't disagree with you, and i'm not defending Ben/AC on this, but it's really not their realm. That's an Aeroplan question and i'm sure if anyone representing Aeroplan would post on FT, they'd be mutilated...and then brought to the brink of death repeatedly....the reality is that AC and AE are two separate orgs. The issue of a classic redemption is an Aeroplan issue as they buy seats from AC (And AE is AC's biggest customer..., they could buy more?)
You mean ..... if seats are available for sale by AC to AE, not AE willing to buy more seats from AC?

It's a function of what AC is willing to release Classic seat for sale to AE (on a particular flight), inasmuch as the same way as the # of Tang, Flex seats are available for sale on a particular flight.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You mean ..... if seats are available for sale by AC to AE, not AE willing to buy more seats from AC?

It's a function of what AC is willing to release Classic seat for sale to AE (on a particular flight), inasmuch as the same way as the # of Tang, Flex seats are available for sale on a particular flight.
Fair point! ^ I was under the impression (hence the ? at the end of my statement), rightly or more probably wrongly, that AE can buy as many seats as they want...but I think that might be wrong as AE buys at a severely discounted rate from what I read here that AC might only release so many seats to AE because of what they are willing to pay.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Fair point! ^ I was under the impression (hence the ? at the end of my statement), rightly or more probably wrongly, that AE can buy as many seats as they want...but I think that might be wrong as AE buys at a severely discounted rate from what I read here that AC might only release so many seats to AE because of what they are willing to pay.
No, Aeroplan can only buy what AC makes available.

I don't even care about "I". This thread is about IKK
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, Aeroplan can only buy what AC makes available.

I don't even care about "I". This thread is about IKK
It's the same thing - all about reasonableness of reward space availability.

I am not sure how IKK works between AC and AE. Therefore I am not sure whether AC is refusing to convert revenue space for IKK reward booking, or AE is refusing to pay the price that AC has demanded to convert a revenue space for IKK reward booking.

If the advertisement promotes if one collects X miles, one can redeem a "free" business class ticket from Canada to Asia. When one accumulates X miles but only to find there is no seat, daily over 4 consecutive weeks at 8 months in advance, it's a scam. Similarly, if the advertisement is if one collects Y AQM or Z AQS, one would be awarded the SE title and would be entitled to IKK. When one collects Y AQM or Z AQS and becomes SE, but only to find out that it's unavailable most of the time, it's also a scam. It's the same meat with a different sauce poured over it.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.