Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Q Shoe Guy
It is important that Air Canada has a clean and safe environment for their staff and passengers ! Please help Air Canada by posting your photos of dirty seating and cabin environments !

Post flight number !
Post seat number !
Fin number (aircraft number)!
Print Wikipost

Dirty aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
AC848 8 December 2017, reg C-FIVK.

Boarded, and had to use the washroom. The washroom between PY and J had... uh... stains, and wet toilet paper stuck to the seat. 2 minutes after J started boarding. Clearly not cleaned at all.

Looking at FR24, the flight landed as AC27, and from time of landing (not even gate time!) until boarding AC848 was 45 minutes. How do you clean a B772 in such a tiny amount of time? You don't. Really, really gross - that is an insanely short turn-around between a ULH and LH.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 am

This is from cleaning the headrests of two PE seats. Both sides of the cloth are filthy. I ended up using two wipes to get a measure of cleanliness. The aircraft had 6 hours on the ground.

The one thing I've learned from FT is to always wipe down headrests and other surfaces...
Diabeetus likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 11, 2019 at 7:55 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:47 am

And I am flying 2 segments on AC next week. Need to take the family pack of cleaners with me I guess.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by arf04

This is from cleaning the headrests of two PE seats. Both sides of the cloth are filthy. I ended up using two wipes to get a measure of cleanliness. The aircraft had 6 hours on the ground.

The one thing I've learned from FT is to always wipe down headrests and other surfaces...
This picture ruined my naive happy little world. Disgusting.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by arf04

We always have these when we travel:

Amazon: Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes
Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, the photo evidence is clearly more detailed than this post from the Cow in March of 2015

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This may be the same fin, but I'm not sure if that's any better.

AC 1846 2015-03-22 YVR-SFO

Seat 1D.

FFS.

This is just the headrest. The two square foot thing. Like... ARGH. I'm actually going to tweet this, because it's disgusting. Clean your damn planes.

ACr replied to my tweet. Let's see if it actually gets fixed.

Of course, I had recommended these in a post in Dec 2014.

Originally Posted by 24left

These are my friends and travel partners - and they never complain

And it's now Jan 2019. And yes here we are.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
We always have these when we travel:

Amazon: Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes
https://www.amazon.ca/Wet-Ones-Antib...dp/B01BSPP76C/

Great idea.

And one can never get enough Sodium Capryloamphopropionate.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The individually packaged anti-bacterial 'Wet Ones' wipes are available in most Walmart stores, too. I always keep a few in my hand baggage.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Great idea.

And one can never get enough Sodium Capryloamphopropionate.
Now with more sodium!

(Just don't lick them)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Well, the photo evidence is clearly more detailed than this post from the Cow in March of 2015

Of course, I had recommended these in a post in Dec 2014.

And it's now Jan 2019. And yes here we are.
@24left I like the look of those Clorox wipes. They are also available on Amazon.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:47 pm

It’s because of this forum that I make sure to use antibacterial wipes on headrests and other surfaces, lol.

On the plus side, we had a great crew. After having a few crews in a row that seemed to be struggling with motivation, it was nice on this trip (into CPH in J, and back through LHR in PE) to have really excellent service with people who seemed happy to be working.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
@24left I like the look of those Clorox wipes. They are also available on Amazon.
I've been buying them for years in the U.S. Target and Walmart have them and Wet Ones in bins for travel size everything, in their pharmacy desprtments. Almost every item is $1.00 or less versus the insane prices Shoppers charges for their limited selection. I also use the Lysol wipes in the canister. Although a bit more work, I just put some in a ziploc.

As we've al discussed before, I don't think it's a bacteria/virus/hygiene issue for most of us, as much as it's just disgusting. I've sat down in my nice J pod, only to look at the table and window wall covered in what looked like wine or coffee. Sure, we all expect turbulence but the fact that it's still there when we board a flight departing Canada means grooming is really optional. Many times I open the table and there is jam or bits of food. It's just gross. But far worse is what the wipe looks like after I wipe down the head rest In Y on some aircraft and the Premium Rouge faux-J seats. I don't think those thinks have been touched since the earth last cooled.

Fun story: on a recent flight, I and the person across in 5D were wiping our pod and the SD told me that he gets "ugh" when he sees people who use the warm cloths that they wiped their face with, then wiping the IFE screen, table, pod and such.

I guess the warm cloths need to come with instructions.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Don't you think we get a bit carried away with this cleanliness thing, maybe that's why we are so prone to catching something. Look at kids, they eat dirt put anything and everything in their mouths. Sure I get it, some common sense care is good, but all these hand wipes and gels and creams are they really the answer....just saying!
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by james dean
Don't you think we get a bit carried away with this cleanliness thing, maybe that's why we are so prone to catching something. Look at kids, they eat dirt put anything and everything in their mouths. Sure I get it, some common sense care is good, but all these hand wipes and gels and creams are they really the answer....just saying!
They are not. However, there is a difference between people who use anti-bacterial soaps (worst thing) and Purell their hands at every turn, versus the expectation that the AC planes we fly have been cleaned. Why should we sit down at the start of our trip or even our flight home, and find gross stuff in out seats, stuck to the walls or tray tables? I've flown AC inbound to YVR from Asia and ended up on the same fin for transcon. The lavs had not been cleaned between the flights. Why is that?

As I mentioned, for some.many of us, it's not the issue of protecting ourselves from the germs and viruses etc out there, maybe staying at home can do that. Those who fly often know odds are increased for catching whatever. Still doesn't make dirty AC aircraft acceptable.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by james dean
I get where you're coming from. For me, it's less of "I'm going to get sick from this" and more of the "ick" factor of spending 14 hours in very close proximity to a visibly dirty surface.

There's also an element of service failure. I don't keep my home in the same state of industrial cleanliness as a hotel, but I'd still be disappointed if I arrived and the table/desk was sticky with someone else's food remains because housekeeping is part of the service I'm paying for.
arf04, canadiancow and CZAMFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.