Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada zero vs Westjet 5 cancels YYZ-YUL - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

How can AC run flights to YUL in snowy weather today with zero cancels from YYZ and minimal delays while Westjet scrubs last 5 flights? Just booked a cnx on WS in Jan to YUL and am concerned by this as I have meetings to attend!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:22 pm

Which flights did AC sacrifice so it could run a full YYZ-YUL schedule?
It's snowing in YUL. To many arrivals will lead to delayed departures later.

AC cancelled 4 YTZ-YUL flights. Many of the evening arrivals into YUL were delayed.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Westjet has 86 flights/day leaving YYZ. Air Canada has 544. I think it's safe to say that if flights are late arriving, Air Canada is going to have a much easier time finding other aircraft to swap in.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been on a scheduled(cancelled) A320 to YUL at noon that i was protected at 1pm on 763(scheduled E90). IOW,AC can add lift/capacity(1 bigger plane) whereby Westjet fleet is all 737.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
How can AC run flights to YUL in snowy weather today with zero cancels from YYZ and minimal delays while Westjet scrubs last 5 flights? Just booked a cnx on WS in Jan to YUL and am concerned by this as I have meetings to attend!
Personal experience - winter travel with a connection - On My Way is the best protection available. Too bad WS does not have something similar.

Everything is just one phone call away, no queue and no wait, especially for those lowly non-SE with no access to the "Concierge" even when flying business class.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
WS is also finally setting up a crew base outside of Calgary - but to my knowledge is still dependant on many YYC based crew to operate flights to points beyond.

Also as someone pointed out already 737s... WS has no large widebodies which they can throw on in their downtime to move larger quanitities of people and bags. Its why it took them and Porter so much longer than AC to recover to normal operations from last winters major mess.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
sometimes AC is just better . . .
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hey, credit where credit is due!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
WS can probably consolidate the passengers from five flights into one 737 on that route
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
AC capability/performance in marginal weather is a huge part of their competitive advantage in the Rapidair triangle.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
If you want to compare apples to apples (i.e. not home base for either airline), AC and WS were cancelling a similar number of flights in/out of YOW yesterday from the snow.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The main reason for this could be de-icing equipment. At a lot of airports, AC owns their de-icing equipment and Westjet uses the airports equipment. At busy times, the airport equipment can't keep up, causing delays or cancelled flights. Multiple times over the winter, my AC flight get de-iced and Westjet flights do not.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Dec 11, 2014 at 11:40 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Agree, I saw on the news that Westjet had to cancel every flight out of YEG (i think it was) because at that airport every airline has to provide their own deicer and Westjet ran out!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The main reason for this could be de-icing equipment. At a lot of airports, AC owns their de-icing equipment and Westjet uses the airports equipment. At busy times, the airport equipment can keep up, causing delays or cancelled flights. Multiple times over the winter, my AC flight get de-iced and Westjet flights do not.
I wonder how many winters and missed meetings it will take before Aeroplan defectors return to the superior airline?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by philelite
Agree, I saw on the news that Westjet had to cancel every flight out of YEG (i think it was) because at that airport every airline has to provide their own deicer and Westjet ran out!
Really?

Maybe we should go in the deicing business... Setup some kind of lemonade stand at the end of the run way. Except we would sell de-icing fluid instead of lemonade. Although we could expand to hot chocolate for the ground staff...

But really? That is kind of sad. I can understand delays due to mechanical problems, or sick pilot, but cancellation because of a lack of de-icing fluid in a Canadian airport would be (to me) the equivalent of Pizza joint running out of cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.