Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Faster UK Border Clearance for Canadians at LHR/LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K

This just came out in the Canadian High Commission's (London) newsletter:
Frequent fliers can go faster

The UK has launched a new program to allow frequent business travellers from Canada to pass through Heathrow and Gatwick more quickly and efficiently. Those who enroll in the Registered Traveller scheme will be able to use ePassport gates or go through the queue normally designed for EU passport holders. The change will also mean that those registered for the scheme will not need to fill in a landing card. The 5,000 people who will be eligible to register will need to have travelled to the UK from Canada at least four times in the past year and be subject to extensive checks. If you meet the criteria, you can find out more about enrolment on the YouGov (https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller) site.
Could make life easier for those of us who are frequently in and out of the UK. Anybody received a passcode (required to register) from Air Canada?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Flying into Gatwick on EY in the summer it was faster to go through the Non-EU Nationals line up than the EU-nationals line up, (I have both UK and Canadian passports).
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AC SEMM
This has actually been in effect for around a year at least IIRC. The High Commission are seemingly a bit slow - perhaps they should call it an "Oldsletter".

I have no experience with the programme though since, like AtlanticXpat, I have both UK and Canadian passports.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by newsguy911

The UK has launched a new program to allow frequent business travellers from Canada to pass through Heathrow and Gatwick more quickly and efficiently. Those who enroll in the Registered Traveller scheme will be able to use ePassport gates or go through the queue normally designed for EU passport holders. The change will also mean that those registered for the scheme will not need to fill in a landing card. The 5,000 people who will be eligible to register will need to have travelled to the UK from Canada at least four times in the past year and be subject to extensive checks. If you meet the criteria, you can find out more about enrolment on the YouGov (https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller) site.
Could make life easier for those of us who are frequently in and out of the UK. Anybody received a passcode (required to register) from Air Canada?
Why only 5000 people? And who do we ask from AC?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:50 pm

Pretty steep price to pay comapred to Nexus

It costs Ł50 to apply. This is non-refundable, even if your application is unsuccessful.

If successful, you can use the service for 12 months. You’ll be able to renew after that.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Flying into Gatwick on EY in the summer it was faster to go through the Non-EU Nationals line up than the EU-nationals line up, (I have both UK and Canadian passports).
Do you not have to 'land' in the UK on your UK passport?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:06 pm

Only 5,000 people met the eligibility criteria of 4 trips, presumably without onwards connections outside of the UK? Wow. There's what, in excess of 2000 seats daily from Canada between all the Canadian gateways on AC alone (add BA, Transat, and the occasional user of a US-based airline to the mix too!) -- so less than 1% of the planes flying from Canada to LHR/LGW are actually these alleged "frequent business travellers".

In light of such, it seems perfectly justified that AC is Rouging as many routes as possible and moving to cater its operations more towards the leisure/personal segment of the market, rather than the relatively rare frequent business travellers for which their role in AC's viability is routinely exaggerated by FT participants. No wonder the FF programs are being constantly watered down/cut back, and J/C seats disappearing with every subsequent re-configuration.

Last edited by pitz; Dec 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Picked up a brochure on this last time I was though LHR. Need one more arrival to qualify...though the procedure described seems typically British in its complexity...having to do something online, then wait for a response, then do another registration, etc. etc. Compare that with HKG where you just take your passport and elite FF card into a small room and in 15-minutes you're registered and ready to go! Got my 4th LHR entry in February so will give this a go...last time the Fast Track lane took 45-minutes! LHR gotta be one of the worst airports in the world despite all the "improvements and upgrades"!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Does this program have reciprocal arrangements with the frequent traveler programs of other countries? I am wondering about US's Global Entry?

I am wondering if nexus and this UK program will one day give reciprocal benefits to each other's members?

PS-often flying in business class to/from LHR is not too bad for me - with fast track lanes.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I guess I am one of the "5,000"... however they got that number... I thought there would be more, but maybe 5,000 is already a lot of people who qualify...

Thanks for posting this... I will look into it!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by todd-r
Do you not have to 'land' in the UK on your UK passport?
There's no law that says a British citizen has to enter the UK on a UK passport (I think you're mixing it up with the US law?). You might have some technical issues though if you overstayed (ie stayed for over three months without a visa on a Canadian passport), but on a normal trip it would be fine. I have dual Canadian / UK passports and haven't had any issues.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by newsguy911

Not useful for me as I do not fly *from Canada* to the UK and I do not possess a Canadian epassport, so this is clearly not for everyone.
(plus 50GBP is a very steep fee.)

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
You flew YYT-YYZ-AUH-LGW?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by montezume
There's no law that says a British citizen has to enter the UK on a UK passport (I think you're mixing it up with the US law?). You might have some technical issues though if you overstayed (ie stayed for over three months without a visa on a Canadian passport), but on a normal trip it would be fine. I have dual Canadian / UK passports and haven't had any issues.
???
I don't know about you but my entry stamps state I have leave to enter for 6 months, not 3.
(therefore assuming <6 months, there should not be a problem anyhow.)
The only law that this does apply to is returning home (i.e. I cannot use my foreign passport to enter Canada.)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The only law that this does apply to is returning home (i.e. I cannot use my foreign passport to enter Canada.)
I don't think that's universally true either - I've entered Canada with my EU passport without issue, despite being Canadian citizenship/residency.

Frankly - I wish the rules were clearer. 15 years ago, I was told the rule was "enter Canada with the passport you left it on" but that is clearly no longer correct.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
???
I don't know about you but my entry stamps state I have leave to enter for 6 months, not 3.
(therefore assuming <6 months, there should not be a problem anyhow.)
I mixed it up with the Schengen area, sorry. I'm used to flying to EU / UK on my UK passport, so not familiar with the stamps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.