Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Why is Aeroplan refusing to credit a UA Express flight (operated by Skywest)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Why is Aeroplan refusing to credit a UA Express flight (operated by Skywest)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K
Why is Aeroplan refusing to credit a UA Express flight (operated by Skywest)?

Maybe some of the experts on points and plans can tell me if I am being told the truth or being tricked by Aeroplan.

I have one segment that has not been credited on my Aeroplan and this is frustrating as I am now only 1 segment short (the one missing) getting status for 2015. So another reason that came in my decision to move on from aeroplan next year. But I wonder if somebody can enlight me and confirm if aeroplan stands correctly to refuse to credit me that portion of the flight.

I was on UA5329 which is a Chicago to Asheville operated by Skywest Airlines dba United Express (on united site it reads Skywest operated on behalf of United Airlines). I was told that since this is a `codeshare`, it is not elligeable for points... the problem is that I really cannot find any other code being shared on that airplane... it is a united express.. runs with united express colors, yo get united napkings when they serve drinks. got the blue uniforms, etc.

Then the next question comes.. As most of the United Express flights are operated by regional companies on behalf of United.. how can I know when booking a flight if the segments will be credited by Aeroplan or not.. I have spent maybe 10 hours browsing the web, reading the small prints, etc, etc.. and really it looks to me that it is going to be a random lottery getting points from united express credited on aeroplan.. they can just say.. nope.. no point and there is nowhere in writting I can find why on a given united express flight it is yes and it is no on another one... I would have been a United Frequent Flyer instead of an Aeroplan one and would have got the points likely..

Yes I know.. on Jan 1st I can write aeroplan and ask for their charitable kindness to give me status still while explaining all circumstances.. but I find it humiliating to ask for kindness when in reality I should not have to. Anyway, after spending an hour with an aeroplan representative (who still was nice and very willing to help) this is the outcome. E.g. there is nothing we can do.. no point for that flight.

All an all, I am losing status this year as most of my flights were credited at 50%, 25% credit (yes I need to book the cheapest fare through corporate travel agency.. so since Sept 2013 Flex almost never shows up anymore as most AC classes moved to tango last year (W S T L K, and international W S and UA also got a 50% aeroplan devaluation on the same classes).

So next year with the new aeroplan rules I figured out I would have to fly at minimum 50-60K 'real' miles to eventually gain the minimum 25K silver status if I factor the new AC metal requiremetns (I flew 20% on AC metal this year) and considering I cant avoid W, S, T, L, K when reserving months prior an event.. Why so much hate from Aeroplan and its partner AC? .. omg.. it is clear that aeroplan wants me to move on elsewhere.. Which I have decided to anyway.

Sorry for the long rant. I guess I am just desilusionned seeing that planes are mostly always flying at full capacity anyway...

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
you are being tricked and misled.

I regularly fly UA flights operated by SkyWest and they have always been credited. SkyWest doesn't operate their own flights on regular passenger service but offer several carriers a service. If you were ticketed as a UA flight it should have counted. . .
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
you are being tricked and misled.

I regularly fly UA flights operated by SkyWest and they have always been credited. SkyWest doesn't operate their own flights on regular passenger service but offer several carriers a service. If you were ticketed as a UA flight it should have counted. . .
yes it was a united ticket (016) with all segments being UA xxxx flights.
And ticket was not particularly cheap, e.g. V class.

Last edited by flyingflying; Dec 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyingflying
yes it was a united ticket (016) with all segments being UA xxxx flights.
And ticket was not particularly cheap, e.g. V class.
Do you have any indication of your FF number on your boarding pass, ticket, anything?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Do you have any indication of your FF number on your boarding pass, ticket, anything?
yes.. FF number was on the reservation, on the ticket, on the boarding pass of every 4 segments of the trip..Indeed the boarding pass was printed with priority 1 boarding since I am 50K. It is only one segment that didn`t get the points.. all other 3 segments were on EXpressjet dba united express and had no problem getting credited. Go figure.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If one goes to http://www.skywest.com/fly-skywest-airlines/checkin/ one sees that Skywest operates only for other airlines.

Perhaps the problem is the fare code? Maybe Aeroplan doesn't credit UA flights with the fare code of your ticket.

Originally Posted by flyingflying
yes.. FF number was on the reservation, on the ticket, on the boarding pass of every 4 segments of the trip..Indeed the boarding pass was printed with priority 1 boarding since I am 50K. It is only one segment that didn`t get the points.. all other 3 segments were on EXpressjet dba united express and had no problem getting credited. Go figure.
Expressjet is a wholly owned subsidiary of SkyWest.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
If one goes to http://www.skywest.com/fly-skywest-airlines/checkin/ one sees that Skywest operates only for other airlines.

Perhaps the problem is the fare code? Maybe Aeroplan doesn't credit UA flights with the fare code of your ticket.

Expressjet is a wholly owned subsidiary of SkyWest.
Then why are the other segments receiving miles (fare is the same).

What worries me the most is the explaination given that it was a codeshare and consequently up to to operator of the flight to decide to give points or not. When I asked how would I know if there are points or not.. I was told it is up to me to check on the site of the oparator.. or course all this does not make sense in the context of Skywest flight.. sigh.. Go on their web site and there is no such information.

Really looks to me aeroplan is playing games with me. If they cannot show me something in writing that clearly state no point for that reason, then this is very silly and frustrating. Right now.. I am being told it is my responsibility to check before buying the ticket.. but please... where to check? Will I have to call aeroplan everytime I have to book a ticket in USA to get their approval and confirmation it wil give points.. gee
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Did you already send a copy of your boarding pass and ticket receipt to [email protected]?

I have had only positive results thus far with United Express flights operated by SkyWest when the automated crediting did not work. The Aeroplan website usually rejects the flight number for online retroactive credit of UAX flights so the manual process is your best bet.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE75k; SPG Lifetime Platinum
United flights on regional's no longer quailify for AQS/AQL?

Wondering if anyone else has had AC/Aeroplan reject the mileage /flight accrual on United flights operated by the regional carriers (Skywest, Shuttle America etc). It seems AC now views United flights operated by the regional carriers as codeshares and/or charters. This seems to be a change that was not publicized and it is creating headaches for booking travel in the US.

I have flown on United probably 10-15 flights per year the past several years and never had a problem (till now) of the regional flights counting. I always book in the correct booking class (Y,B,M, V, W etc) but on my most recent flight, UA5301 DEN-MKE V class (Skywest operated) the flight was denied as being eligible by Aeroplan. I followed up and sent the claim in via email and got a letter back, with a copy of my ticket highlighting the skywest name and stating that this was a codeshare and not valid.

Followed up with the SE Desk and after 10 minutes on hold they came back telling me indeed these flights are not valid for accrual and pointed me to the Aeroplan page where it states:

- Charter flights operated by United are not eligible.
- Codeshare flights marketed by United and operated by non-Star Alliance airlines are not eligible.

Anyone else with a similar experience? Moderator care to chime in?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
I had no problem to the end of last year with United Express flights crediting, whether it was flown by Shuttle America or Skywest. But, I haven't flown any this year, so if this is a recent change, I wouldn't know.

I will say this - if this is true that UX flights are not eligible, I would be completely done with Air Canada. I was on the edge with leaving this year between the program changes and the rouge routes. But, my work travel is going to change for the next 3 years and I would be SE through it all. But it would require about 20% of flying on United - nearly all of which would be United Express. SE is worth it on my travel pattern so I'd stay AC. If I can't get there because of this, there's no point to doing business with AC at all.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There are UA Express flights that are part of United - like Republic/Shuttle America - and then there are ones like Cape Air and Sprint that even though have a UA flight number - are not United.

Weird that the SkyWest one would not credit.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: 35 K
Last week I did YYC to ORD on United Express (SkyWest) and the miles were credited.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There are UA Express flights that are part of United - like Republic/Shuttle America - and then there are ones like Cape Air and Sprint that even though have a UA flight number - are not United.

Weird that the SkyWest one would not credit.
Anytime I've seen Skywest when booking it always says "Skywest Dba United Express" which should make them eligible because United Express is specifically included on Aeroplan in the very first bullet point on the site. You would think this would just work automatically without humans intervening (and erroring). The OP's flight UA5301 from MKE to DEN is listed as "Skywest Airlines dba United Express".

Last edited by YEGTigger; Feb 26, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE75k; SPG Lifetime Platinum
Agreed that it should be credited - in fact I had a flight YYC to DEN on Skywest in Jan go through (plus another 12 2013/14 flights on UA regionals). However my mileage request was denied online and via mail. I thought it was a mistake until today when the lady at the SE call centre confirmed with her supervisor that indeed that these were deemed as charters/code shares.

It seems close to 30% of the domestic flights on United must be operated by the regionals - so I don't know how to plan my trips now when I book. Flight I booked today I specifically stayed away from the regionals even though the connections were (slightly) worse.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Def something wrong with this. Skywest flights are not code shares but, as others point out, operated on behalf of UA. No different from AC Express/Jazz flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.