Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by biglinguist
I don't see the point of reminding your audience that you have no ideas and tend not to do anything good unless the competition forces you to. I mean, I'm happy for the people who got to go home, but there's no way AC would have done this if they didn't feel pressured by Westjet.

This has "Mr. Burns patting orphans on the head" all over it.
Maybe you should read up on this:
http://www.dreamstakeflight.ca/

It has been going on for 25 years.
Not a paid staff to get it done.
AC provides the airplanes and backstops the landing fees, fuel, ATC charges etc if other sponsors cannot be secured.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:50 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
What I am thinking however, is that many of us on here, if we were to have won the ticket - - would have wanted to figure out how we could get upgraded, if it booked into B-Class and if we could manipulate AC.com to get our e-certs to confirm an upgrade in advance into P-Class . . etc .etc etc. . . and if we ultimately had to fly economy, we would probably just not go!!! ;-)
Wow... One of the most 'in-tune' posts I have read here yet. Bravo!!!!

The cynic in me would have added that people here would have bit**ed that the tickets were (more than likely) Tango and that AC was being cheap and should have offered J tickets... but you are obviously much more reasonable that I in terms of expectations from people in this forum.

Thanks again for this amazing post!!!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret

It has been going on for 25 years.
Not a paid staff to get it done.
AC provides the airplanes and backstops the landing fees, fuel, ATC charges etc if other sponsors cannot be secured.
AC has also donated widebody aircraft and staff donated their time for various disasters. And not a camera crew to be seen for posting on Youtube.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Just reviewed the site. I would have thought this would have been a better use of AC's dollars for a holiday message.

Also interesting, on my last return TATL flight, the SD talked about it and asked if anyone would like to contribute, no matter which currency they had with them. Looked like a lot of us were happy to help.

Thanks for reminding me of this org.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: status-free
"Ad campaign is transparently derivative" =/= "Air Canada never does anything good"
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by biglinguist
"Ad campaign is transparently derivative" =/= "Air Canada never does anything good"
If you think this way, why are you flying with AC. Makes no sense to me. Most normal people don't support something they don't like.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If you think this way, why are you flying with AC. Makes no sense to me. Most normal people don't support something they don't like.
Most people are probably against sweatshops but likely still buy from companies that use them.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: status-free
We're misunderstanding each other, I think. That =/= symbol means "does not equal" (to the best of my keyboard's ability). So my previous post said that my finding the ad campaign derivative does NOT mean that I dislike AC.

But even if I did: as others have pointed out, we probably all occasionally deal with businesses we don't like, or that we don't have emotional responses to, especially in monopoly/duopoly situations.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I see the logic here. AC is repeatedly telling us they benchmark against the competitors.
Others do, AC follows.
WS does bag fees, AC copies it.
WS does Christmas videos, AC copies it.
Wondering who is the follower and who is the leader in the airline industry in Canada?
AC gets worst and worst. To bad Canadians do not have a low cost carrier. WJ attempts but nothing like other countries, or AC would be done.

Xmas trip from YVR to Honolulu cost the same as Winnipeg - entire industry needs to figure something out for the customers.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:24 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Globe and Mail Marketing Column with their take on the series of ads trying to capture their own "Westjet Moment", including Air Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle22028687/

Key quote IMO:
"In some cases a big move can make headlines – be it JC Penney’s recent #JustGotJingled or Air Canada’s latest tear jerker – but whenever this happens marketers are quick to play copycat. By doing so, brands are hindering their own creativity."

and

"Consider the sequence of your thinking: Do you want to do something nice for kids in need this holiday season? Reconnect long lost friends overseas? Or are you simply chasing that WestJet moment? Then figure out the why and who first and then you can worry about the what and the how. You should also have a firm grasp of your ultimate objective."
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm not saying I don't like AC, but to those that do, many of us are stuck with the AC/WS fiasco. Ultimately AC provides more value to business travelers than WS (leaving emotion at the door). So many of us reluctantly stayed with AC, and AC knows that, so kudos to them to sticking it to us and knowing that we'll stay. (increase shareholder value/profit - decreased customer satisfaction).

Perhaps you noted the change in this AC FT section? Have you noticed many of us (me included) that significantly changed our tone post the Altitude 2015 changes? Many of us are stuck flying AC, although the emotion/love of the whole company/airline/business is gone.

I can count the apologists on one hand now...let's see what happens in the next downturn?

I had an interesting fight with Mrs SAP tonight. We're looking to go to Europe in 2 years, and she's like, yeah pay the YQ and fly on AC. I told her i'd rather connect through TPE to fly on BR than fly AC. I think we agreed on "i'll meet you there"....why? Hard/soft product and I really don't want to give AC any money (points/YQ) any more than I have to. Loyalty is a 2 way street. I'll evaluate my travel pattern/profile as was suggested by Ben/AC in the Altitude 2015 thread, and that's a choice I can choose to make!

As far as hotels i'll stay at? SPG. Why? Loyalty.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile AC Happy Holiday Video to Customers (not the pub thing).

Wondering if you anyone received their "Happy Holiday" message from AC yet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEOwFpkaUH4
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy

All I see are triangles. And paper airplanes
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy

We loved the DL video. Nothing beats a thank you.

EDIT: Forgot to add Thank You email

Last edited by 24left; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:10 pm Reason: Add image
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Seems like everyone wants to get in on the act. LATAM (and smart to get Coca Cola $$):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GiH6r02GlT4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.