Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
Thanks SAP, but I'm not gonna sweat over anyone that has no clue about emoji's their intentions and use.

I lol'd when I saw the post!
Glad to be of service
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by jaysona
Thanks SAP, but I'm not gonna sweat over anyone that has no clue about emoji's, their intentions and use.

I lol'd when I saw the post!
So, what if it was filmed in Hong Kong, India, etc, would it be ok to say, A bunch of ???. I know one thing in life, what goes around, comes around. That's why I don't like "going there".
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:52 am

Wonder if any of these drunken Canucks already have xmas travel plans and were crushed when told they're getting a round-trip flight and not the free round of drinks

Originally Posted by farmerbrown
When I first saw the video and how quickly it was done it was clear not much thought had gone into it. It was very lame. An embarrassment as far as I'm concerned
An embarrassment? An embarrassment? You're classifying that video is an embarrassment? Not just something you don't personally like, an embarrassment
You sound like the kind of Canadian who's tired from waiting all night in line for his front row seats to Corner Gas : The Movie. Have fun tonight!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:03 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Remind me not to fly on your flights, your bad luck. In 30 years flying over 3000 flights, I have never lost 1 day because of mechanical problems.
Really? What routes are you flying? I don't think I've flown a third as much as yourself, but I definitely have lost multiple days over the years owing to missed connections linked to mechanical difficulties. I just lost 2 days flying in and out of the Philippines on PR- one each on the outbound and inbound owing to mechanical difficulties on their Q300s. On the inbound flight, they didn't even bring me to the airport I booked for in the end because they didn't have a plane small enough to land at MPH (Boracay).
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:05 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
An embarrassment? An embarrassment? You're classifying that video is an embarrassment? Not just something you don't personally like, an embarrassment
You sound like the kind of Canadian who's tired from waiting all night in line for his front row seats to Corner Gas : The Movie. Have fun tonight!
Well, I showed the AC video to Ms. JBB, who is an exec at a big int'l advertising agency. She is not from Canada so doesn't have any pre-conceived notions of AC, though she had seen the Westjet videos virally. Her initial reaction to AC? "Well, clearly they (AC) didn't have much money."

Last edited by jbb; Dec 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by jbb
Really? What routes are you flying? I don't think I've flown a third as much as yourself, but I definitely have lost multiple days over the years owing to missed connections linked to mechanical difficulties. I just lost 2 days flying in and out of the Philippines on PR- one each on the outbound and inbound owing to mechanical difficulties on their Q300s. On the inbound flight, they didn't even bring me to the airport I booked for in the end because they didn't have a plane small enough to land at MPH (Boracay).
Asia up to 8 x per year, Europe x 4 per year and 80 CDN/US flight per year. I will add you to my don't fly list too. My longest mechanical delay was a 1/2 day in Hong Kong. All other mechanical delays have been next flight or aircraft change. Maybe I don't have these problems because I don't segment fly.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jbb
Well, I showed the AC video to Ms. JBB, who is an exec at a big int'l advertising agency. She is not from Canada so doesn't have any pre-conceived notions of AC, though she had seen the Westjet videos virally. Her initial reaction to AC? "Well, clearly they (AC) didn't have much money."

Adweek had this bit about AC's video yesterday (some of you might recognize the names in the "Client Team". The couple of comments at the bottom were amusing)

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/globe-...nadians-161743

BUT

The day before, Adweek had this on the WS video. Very different headline and tone in text.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/grab-t...amilies-161716
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:45 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I don't have status with AC. I don't fly West Jet often.

But the WestJet video has a stronger emotional impact.

Measuring the total happiness generated, it seems the humanitarian work generated greater happiness in the greater numbers.

Just my two cents.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What ever happened to the Christmas spirit?

Many of the responses here are disappointing.

Will see you all at the next do (fill in bar name here) to discuss further.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Maybe i'm jaded, working for a corporation. These x-mas/holiday heart tugging videos really have one purpose - marketing/brand awareness and overall revenue increase (these marketing campaigns have an expected ROI, kid you not). I don't buy any of this corporate good will nonsense (having spent a good time in marketing for a Fortune 500). Just so i'm clear, AC/WS and other corporations all fall into my blanket comment. I really wish companies would stop commotizing the best time of the year. But hey, a job of a corporation is to increase profit YoY right? So yeah, it's their fiduciary duty, however we don't have to participate succumbing to this nonsense.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Well the haters are really out tonight.
That's a really strong word to use, its more that there are people out there who have had a not so seamless customer experience more than once with AC.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...908/story.html

Canadian airlines are trying to make you cry this Christmas, and they're not the only ones. Welcome to the world of "sadvertising."
One of the comments on that link

Steven Kovick Top Commenter Works at Empire Theatres
Do the people who get free return flights still have to pay for first luggage bag?
Reply Like 1 Follow Post December 4 at 10:35am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
As Christmas airline videos go, here is the new Finnair (English)
I don't get it, maybe I'm not the target group.
At least I understand AC and WS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQgvKxrNQY
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: status-free
I don't see the point of reminding your audience that you have no ideas and tend not to do anything good unless the competition forces you to. I mean, I'm happy for the people who got to go home, but there's no way AC would have done this if they didn't feel pressured by Westjet.

This has "Mr. Burns patting orphans on the head" all over it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
First - You have to hand it to AC to go out and give away >100 free tickets ex LHR to Canada.

Now - I've been to this pub a few times. Mostly, it was for the old full-block parties on Canada day(that stopped after 2005). However, for the most part, I have not really seen a lot of Canadians there. How did they get the bar full, who knew about it, etc. It all seemed a little bit staged (although I don't think it was all an act).

I think for AC it's an easy one too as there is so much capacity ex-LHR that you could even give away 1,000 tickets and get everyone out by XMAS.

What I am thinking however, is that many of us on here, if we were to have won the ticket - - would have wanted to figure out how we could get upgraded, if it booked into B-Class and if we could manipulate AC.com to get our e-certs to confirm an upgrade in advance into P-Class . . etc .etc etc. . . and if we ultimately had to fly economy, we would probably just not go!!! ;-)

Good job AC - - I think it was a pretty good idea and it will definitely help out a few people with getting to Canada for a wonderful family event.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.