Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Announcements come through the IFE
Not on all aircraft.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:18 pm

Unhappy This topic again????

Originally Posted by keloutwest
Why does AC let you use earbud headphones connected to their system but not noise canceling ones during takeoff and landing? And you can use your iPad etc during this time, just as long as your earphones aren't plugged into it (earbud or otherwise).
What's absurd is starting another thread from something that has already been discussed Ad nauseam in this forum already.

Just a couple of small threads for your reading for your pleasure:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...set-rules.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-boarding.html
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:24 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jaysona
Not on all aircraft.
Really?

Consider myself educated. Which planes with IFE don't have announcements interrupting the content?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Really?

Consider myself educated. Which planes with IFE don't have announcements interrupting the content?
Interrupting the content is different from "coming through the IFE" as you stated in your earlier post.

For the narrow body fleet the cabin and cockpit announcements do interrupt the IFE playback, but are not "played" through the IFE, as in the announcements are not heard via the earbuds/earphones.

I do not recall if the announcements on the A330/767/777 can be heard through the built in Sennheiser earphones or not - it has been years since I used them - but I seem to recall that they are not heard when personal earbuds/earphones are connected to the IFE jack.

I know on the 787 announcements are heard through the earbuds/earphones.

As far as I know, all announcements "interrupt" the IFE playback on all aircraft.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Doesn't the content pause and a small popup saying "passenger announcement/annonce passagers" for EVERY announcement?
Yep, but the audio doesn't come through the headset...
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:03 pm

Interrupting the content is different from "coming through the IFE" as you stated in your earlier post.

For the narrow body fleet the cabin and cockpit announcements do interrupt the IFE playback, but are not "played" through the IFE, as in the announcements are not heard via the earbuds/earphones.

I do not recall if the announcements on the A330/767/777 can be heard through the built in Sennheiser earphones or not - it has been years since I used them - but I seem to recall that they are not heard when personal earbuds/earphones are connected to the IFE jack.

I know on the 787 announcements are heard through the earbuds/earphones.

As far as I know, all announcements "interrupt" the IFE playback on all aircraft.
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Yep, but the audio doesn't come through the headset...
Really?

I was sure it did. I was sure I could hear it. I guess it was coming in from out side and I never realized it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
On two flight segments on WestJet I've been allowed to use earbuds plugged into my own electronics at all times - and I specifically asked the cabin crew about it, because they made no announcement forbidding it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by etickets
On two flight segments on WestJet I've been allowed to use earbuds plugged into my own electronics at all times - and I specifically asked the cabin crew about it, because they made no announcement forbidding it.
Just because they don't enforce it doesn't mean its not a rule:

"Remove headsets or earphones connected to a portable electronic device for boarding, taxi, take-off, landing, deplaning and while walking to and from the aircraft. Why? Headsets and earphones make you less aware of safety hazards and less able to hear crew and ground personnel instructions, especially during an emergency."

Source: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/air-passenge...evices-568.htm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Really?

I was sure it did. I was sure I could hear it. I guess it was coming in from out side and I never realized it.
Maybe you it felt like it was coming through because you were wearing an "earbud type headset"

Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by etickets
The cabin crew was wrong. You can't wear earbuds plugged into your own electronics during landing/taking off. All other times, you are good to go. As per TC regs.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
All announcements do interrupt the IFE system on all aircraft models. You can't use the headphone in J class for landing/taking off because they are noise cancelling. You may use earbuds.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
This is a TC restriction, not an AC one. WS and PD would fall under the same purview.

I've flown at least a dozen airlines in/out of Canada in the last couple years, and the headphone "rule" only has ever been enforced on AC. Are you saying all the other airlines are breaking TC rules?

Here is your chance to report the competition
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I've flown at least a dozen airlines in/out of Canada in the last couple years, and the headphone "rule" only has ever been enforced on AC. Are you saying all the other airlines are breaking TC rules?
CARS - Canadian Aviation Regulations apply to Canadian registered operators.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
CARS - Canadian Aviation Regulations apply to Canadian registered operators.
And the regulation as dictated by TC, was tied into the gate-to-gate IFE initiative.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
This rule is so arbitrary.

A few years ago, I read in a business publication (sorry that I cannot remember the exact source) that approximately 20% of adults cannot use earbud headphones because their ears are too small (thus preventing the bud from fitting in the ear).

I am one of those people. I simply can't use earbuds. On the plane I use one of my cheap $4.88 over the ear headphones by Koss. They are hardly noise canceling headphones.

On Wednesday, I had these phones plugged into the AC Embraer IFE watching "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (IMHO this is John Hughes' masterpiece, but I digress), and the FA asked me to take off my headphones and asked my daughter sitting next to me to take off her headphones as well (they were an over the ear variety designed for children). He told me that only earbud headphones were allowed to be used on takeoff and landings. I asked why the different treatment. He said "the wires on your headphones can get in the way in case of an emergency." I responded (I hope in a polite tone of voice - that was my intention), "can't the wires on earbud headphones get in the way as well." He said, "not according to the policy." I said that it seems unfair to allow certain people to have headphones on during takeoff and to prohibit others not to have headphones on during takeoff. He very courteously replied "I know, but its only for a short time." I let it go at that point because I knew he was not the one who set the policy. Unfortunately, the flight attendant did not seemed concerned that, at the same time, the person ahead of me had her seat in full recline mode on takeoff, but I did not raise a fuss about it.

It seems weird that I could take an AA flight from YYZ and not have to deal with this arbitrary rule, but if I took an AC flight from YYZ, I would have to deal with it. I understand why this is so, and I do not blame AC per se.

This just seems to be another example of an overbearing government setting policies that make sense only to itself.

Either allow no one to use headphones on takeoff and landing, or allow everyone to use them.

There, at least I feel better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.