Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Time for AC to consider A380's, at least for some lucrative routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for AC to consider A380's, at least for some lucrative routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Rouge's A321's are 2 years old while AC's mainline ones are almost 15 years old.

The A319s are on average 19.6 years old compared with 20.3 for the rouge 763's. Interesting that people tend to think of the 763's as long in the tooth when the A319's are within 1 year of their age and have almost certainly done far more cycles.
I see where you are getting this. But it does not sound right.

Puts the 763 s as manufactured around 1997, which surely is not right. The 763s include mainly those originally bought by AC, way earlier, maybe some bought by CP also earlier, and a few they gor around the time of the meter, which again were already old at that time.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Stranger

Puts the 763 s as manufactured around 1997, which surely is not right. The 763s include mainly those originally bought by AC, way earlier, maybe some bought by CP also earlier, and a few they gor around the time of the meter, which again were already old at that time.
Under the AC tab ( not Rouge) it says the average age of the 763 is 28.6 years. That probably includes the planes AC bought originally, plus the ex CP planes.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

AC has transferred the newer 763's to Rouge and kept the older ones at mainline. If you go back to the airfleets link I provided for AC you will note that AC's 763 average age is 28.6 years. Presumably this is because the plan is to phase out the 763's from mainline pretty soon but they want to keep the rouge ones flying for a fair number of years yet.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
AC has transferred the newer 763's to Rouge and kept the older ones at mainline. If you go back to the airfleets link I provided for AC you will note that AC's 763 average age is 28.6 years. Presumably this is because the plan is to phase out the 763's from mainline pretty soon but they want to keep the rouge ones flying for a fair number of years yet.
Actually it looks like the former CP ones (375) are the oldest and AC kept most of them. Except one in storage and one at Rouge. It also appears AC bought 3 new ones in 2001, which is odd. The newest, at Rouge are the ex-Hawaaian ones, 2002, 2003.

As to the white elephant, Airbus is talking about phasing out production, except if EK ends up buying more.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Who knows, Airbus may soon have a closeout sale on 380s.
Seems like the time is now: https://www.mail.com/int/news/europe...-stage-hero1-4
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Stranger posted this line on Jan 12, 2018

.....As to the white elephant, Airbus is talking about phasing out production, except if EK ends up buying more.

Headline now at Reuters. Pretty impressive there, Stranger.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1Q30K4

AC can use them for YUL-YOW.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by 24left
Funny, I'm on another YOW-YUL tomorrow ... and the Q400 already takes longer to load than it does to fly to Montreal. My brain hurts thinking of that ratio on an A380.

Looking back in retrospect this thread is amusing reading though.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Funny, I'm on another YOW-YUL tomorrow ... and the Q400 already takes longer to load than it does to fly to Montreal. My brain hurts thinking of that ratio on an A380.

Looking back in retrospect this thread is amusing reading though.
Funny you say this. Last Thursday morning when I took the Q400 YOW to YUL, I was wondering why boarding appear to take so long ??? I do notice a considerable amount of folks, including frequent flyers struggle to place their large roller boards, skis, kitchen sinks in the narrow overhead bins. Some when boarding appear to struggle with the unique seat numbering system on the Q400, 1,2,3,4 etc and of course when you have A,C and you see only two seats, and cant find the B, well that just confuses folks to no ends!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
I was thinking they might be able to revive YYC-YQF. I'm sure that would make @HerpaYvr happy
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I was thinking they might be able to revive YYC-YQF. I'm sure that would make @HerpaYvr happy

lol

I love the A380, such a cool plane

The A380 is wider than the YQF runway, lol, but you are right that would make me happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.