AC slashes at YVR

Old Sep 17, 2002, 3:16 pm
CP7
Original Poster

AC slashes at YVR

OK, OK I know... seasonal adjustments and all that... and apologies if this has already been discussed...

The latest schedule includes the following from YVR as of November:
Nagoya - from daily to nothing
Taipei - from daily to nothing
Hong Kong - from 14x week to 9x
Beijing / Shanghai / Tokyo / Osaka / Seoul - from daily (some routes 744) to 5x week (all 767)

Sydney from daily to 4x week

JFK/Boston from daily to 4x week
Washington DC cancelled
Ottawa - twice daily 767 to two 321s

etc etc etc

I am guessing that they have all but given up on the business travellers in Asia who like the daily frequencies.

I understand the need for cutting and slowing down after the busy summer season ... but this seems a bit harsh (?)

Comments?

Old Sep 17, 2002, 3:24 pm

I have tickets to these destination past these dates...how do I know if I'm effected.?.

This really sucks for reward travel also....

thats a huge reduction, bang goes the upgrades on these routes unless the Business traveler goes elsewhere...
Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:20 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

CP7 - where are you seeing the changes? I have heard/seen nothing about these yet. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:13 pm
CP7
Original Poster

The info is from their latest timetable (as a .pdf) posted on their website on 13 September.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:24 pm

Somebody found something before Empress.....na na na nana....

Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:30 pm
CP7
Original Poster

and it was me!!!

Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:36 pm
CP7
Original Poster

The timetable seems to be a work in progress... (Surprise!)

i.e.: YVR-NRT is 5x; but NRT-YVR is 4x (guess those a/c just pile up in NRT as the weeks go by?); YVR-PEK and YVR-PVG is X56, but the return PEK-YVR and PVG-YVR are both X56 as well (doesn't make sense with the dateline). And that was just a cursory glance!

Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:38 pm

Don't worry I'm sure Empress is on to them right now setting it straight!....
Old Sep 17, 2002, 8:35 pm

Don't want to burst your bubble cp7
but don't be surprised if the timetable
reads something else in a couple of days.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:18 pm

The winter schedule has not been loaded into the system yet. Those are just 'preliminary' changes but none of them are happening yet. AC is probably waiting until end of Sept to decide what flights to cut/add depending on the loads.

It's usual for AC to cut the number of Asia flights during low season. However, I doubt they will be flying YVR-NRT only 5 times a week. (NGO is usually not a year round flight)

The winter schedule should be annouced soon so stay tuned.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 5:52 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Does this mean my Family's reward flights back to Canada on Air Canada from Nagoya is no longer happening? Will Air Canada rebook them on another route/airline?

My wife and Son also have round-trip Jan tickets to Nagoya from Canada on Air Canada.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:28 pm

The only official cut from the winter schedule so far:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Air Canada Makes Changes To Taipei Service For Winter Schedule.

Effective Oct. 29, Air Canada will replace its daily A-340-300 service from Vancouver to Taipei with a three times weekly codeshare service on EVA Air for the 2002-03 winter schedule. Other connections are also available with United Airlines via Tokyo Narita or San Francisco.</font>
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:23 pm

The timetable is only for flights over a seven week period starting from the effective date (a Friday). Any flights operating past that period aren't listed. So if there is a schedule change on the seventh Sunday, the new flights will only be shown for the five days up to the seventh Thursday. That's why you are seeing x56 on so many flights to/from Vancouver, because the main fall schedule change is on Sunday October 27th.

This week's schedule, now on-line, shows the flights as daily.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:19 pm

A question:

If they know these flights are going to be "seasonal" why do they allow bookings on them during the off-season?
Old Sep 21, 2002, 5:02 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
A question:

If they know these flights are going to be "seasonal" why do they allow bookings on them during the off-season?
</font>
Because their sophisticated yield management system doesn't know they are only seasonal.

------------------
If you want to experience good customer service from an airline forget Air Canada and try CanJet or WestJet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.