Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada & Air China ink MOU on a Metal-Neutral TPAC JV

Air Canada & Air China ink MOU on a Metal-Neutral TPAC JV

Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course the fact that CX owns at between 20-30% of Air China and vice versa has AC helping CX......
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:18 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Maybe they can't operate the 787 in Montreal because it doesn't say Dreamliner on the side in French
I just realized... your comment makes sense. AC metal will get the YUL route because they will need to speak french. CA metal will get the YYC route because...they won't care.

Yeah!!!!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No. The big Chinese markets are YVR and YYZ.
That is where the diaspora live but the Chinese business market is Calgary in both directions.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I just realized... your comment makes sense. AC metal will get the YUL route because they will need to speak french. CA metal will get the YYC route because...they won't care.

Yeah!!!!
Good point. Hope you're right and we get the AC flight. Although my dream flight to Eastern Europe would be to tokyo. Would save a connection on nearly all my trips to Asia!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

Yeah!!!!
Lol actually I was referring to the time when the office québécois de la langue francaise took the major retailers ( best buy, Walmart, toys r us, etc) to court saying either they needed to give themselves a generic French name or add a slogan or explanation that reflects their business, in regards to the signs on their businesses. And how the 787 saying Dreamliner on the side would run into the same problem.

But I will admit your logic is not half bad!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Lol actually I was referring to the time when the office québécois de la langue francaise took the major retailers ( best buy, Walmart, toys r us, etc) to court saying either they needed to give themselves a generic French name or add a slogan or explanation that reflects their business, in regards to the signs on their businesses. And how the 787 saying Dreamliner on the side would run into the same problem.

But I will admit your logic is not half bad!
I know what you were referring to. I live it regularly so its good to laugh about it once in a while.

Just thought I would twist it around a bit...
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Eternity000
Good point. Hope you're right and we get the AC flight. Although my dream flight to Eastern Europe would be to tokyo. Would save a connection on nearly all my trips to Asia!
I'll assume you meant Eastern Asia, unless Krakow or something had a recent name change...

Maybe, if traffic to TKO from YYZ keeps increasing, they could add a YUL route, instead of a third route. I know JAL has a charter to YUL in September/October, so maybe a summer/fall seasonal route. The 788 makes that more feasible but I still think its a long-shot.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
I can't imagine them using a 332 PEK-YUL. Pretty sure that aircraft would have to be heavily load restricted to fly that kind of distance.
DL flies a 332 SEA-HKG. Block time is 14:52.
AC's block time YYZ-PEK is 13:35. YUL-PEK wouldn't be that different.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by doubleflier
I have a list of airlines in Asia that I wouldn't step foot on, no matter how good of a deal, or how much I was offered. Air China is one of those carriers.
Why?
Is it the flight crews? CA has a large number of ex-pat pilots in the left seat.
Is it the maintenance? It's the same outfits North American carriers send their fleets to.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: AC E50K
I'll assume you meant Eastern Asia, unless Krakow or something had a recent name change...

Maybe, if traffic to TKO from YYZ keeps increasing, they could add a YUL route, instead of a third route. I know JAL has a charter to YUL in September/October, so maybe a summer/fall seasonal route. The 788 makes that more feasible but I still think its a long-shot.
Haha oops. Yes meant Eastern Asia

As for a YUL-TYO I can always dream
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by tracon
DL flies a 332 SEA-HKG. Block time is 14:52.
AC's block time YYZ-PEK is 13:35. YUL-PEK wouldn't be that different.
A 777 cruises much faster than am A330. Also, block time is often cushioned by airlines to pad their On time statistics.

According to http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SEA-PEK...ls&DU=nm&E=180 :

SEA-PEK - 4699 nm
YYZ-PEK - 5716 nm
YUL-PEK - 5655 nm (actually closer than YYZ).

So YYZ is over 1000nm longer than SEA-PEK, and that is straight line, not counting prevailing winds or Arctic airports which are not open in winter for ETOPS alternates. You may also notice the SEA route runs almost over ANC. In the winter, the YYZ-PEK rote would probably need to fly closer to ANC and thus a slightly longer route.

Airbus lists the range of a 333 as 6100 nm. Straight line of 5716 nm, plus a diversion airport, plus 1 hour extra would put that route out of the 333s range. (Although the 332 might be able to pull it off.)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Why?
Is it the flight crews? CA has a large number of ex-pat pilots in the left seat.
Is it the maintenance? It's the same outfits North American carriers send their fleets to.

Tracon,

My opinion is based on personal experience and experience of some of my colleagues.

Also, directly know two Air China Captains and have heard enough to validate my opinion/experiences.

Can't comment directly on the maintenance.

Just my own personal choice WRT Air China.

There are lost of airlines in Asia I will fly without hesitation, but there are some that for me, I just wouldn't touch.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by doubleflier
Why?

Tracon,

My opinion is based on personal experience and experience of some of my colleagues.

Also, directly know two Air China Captains and have heard enough to validate my opinion/experiences.

Can't comment directly on the maintenance.

Just my own personal choice WRT Air China.

There are lost of airlines in Asia I will fly without hesitation, but there are some that for me, I just wouldn't touch.
Many moons ago, my brother was travelling to China for business. The person next to him on the flight was working for a large fleet leasing company. He was travelling there to inform 'a vary large Chinese operator circa 1995' that they were no longer insurable and would need to produce a large bond to keep using the leased planes.

Consequently, a former customer of mine was teaching at a flight school in Eastern Canada. He told me that a large group of the students were from China and from what he heard from them; within 6 weeks of basic flight training many of them were going to be in the right seat of a 737.

I will concur with doubleflier here. I may (and this is a BIG may) consider flying them on long international routes, where they put the newest planes, best pilots and are very careful of their image, but I would definitely not fly internal domestic flights within China. This might have improved over the last 20+ years, as many things in China have, but I'm still not there.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely not fly internal domestic flights within China. This might have improved over the last 20+ years, as many things in China have, but I'm still not there.
I'll admit I did fly domestic legs in China. Some on CA, but also on Xiamen Airlines and I believe China Southern. I have also flown on Belavia, the National Airline of Belarus.

However given an alternative I would not have. I would *probably* not normally fly CA. This said, looking at stitistics, China is nowhere near the top of the risk countries/airlines.

Much higher on the list: Russia and Egypt obviously, but also Korea, Turkey. Brazil is marginally better but possibly not that much; again I'll admit at one point, mostly long time ago, I did fly on RG and domestic Brazilian airlines.

Still looking at accident statistics, AF and even JAL have records that probably look worse than CA.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
I cannot thing of one real benefit to consumers here....
Additional prime-time flights to Beijing derived from this JV will benefit passengers in those cities greatly. Busy people don't enjoy connections
Originally Posted by The Lev
I can't imagine them using a 332 PEK-YUL. Pretty sure that aircraft would have to be heavily load restricted to fly that kind of distance.
It would face restrictions westbound. Those restrictions might be preferred to flying heavy 777 or using the higher costs of Air Canada. Does Air China have 787s on order? That might be ideal
A 777 cruises much faster than am A330. Also, block time is often cushioned by airlines to pad their On time statistics.
YUL-PEK - 5655 nm (actually closer than YYZ).
QF deployed A330-200 on LAXAKL, a route with a slightly longer ESAD than YULPEK.
Airbus lists the range of a 333 as 6100 nm.
Manufacturer ranges are still air and just passengers and bags. Plus, we're talking the -200 here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.