Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
I seem to recall that when Comfort was introduced, they announced Zone 2. However there was unhappiness in some quarters and they quickly changed to Zone 3.
There was definitely some confusion. Whether it was a change, poor IT, or poor communication I don’t think was ever firmly decided upon however
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:20 am

in my observation and limited experience, Zones 3 and onwards are lumped together in the same massive line.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Latitude is 2. Comfort was always 3 AFAIK.

This is correct, Latitude is Zone 2. Two weeks ago, my Buddy who does not like or travel on AC, had to fly AC last minute YVR-YYZ and bought a Latitude fare and was given Zone 2. Kind of annoyed me as Status E75 to E35 is also Zone 2! Mind you what he paid for that ticket, he should have been traveling in J and not Y so Zone 2 is kind of OK!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BBC World News
Just did YVR-YXT return. Outgoing was zone three. Return, zone four. Why the change? Same ticket, same metal, exact same seat (2F - which I had paid extra to get). I have no status. Q400. Booked this flight through AMEX travel but this has happened to me before various booking methods) on different routes/metal. YVR-YEG return a few months back: outgoing zone three, return zone five. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by skeena1
Just did YVR-YXT return. Outgoing was zone three. Return, zone four. Why the change? Same ticket, same metal, exact same seat (2F - which I had paid extra to get). I have no status. Q400. Booked this flight through AMEX travel but this has happened to me before various booking methods) on different routes/metal. YVR-YEG return a few months back: outgoing zone three, return zone five. Any thoughts?
Preferred seats get Zone 3. But only if you book in advance, so if you moved into it at airport that could explain it. Also quite possibly you experienced AC IT.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BBC World News
Cheers. Also thanks and I get it.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Latitude is 2. Comfort was always 3 AFAIK.
It was announced... for a few short days:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29612971-post148.html

Then 3 days later:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29625652-post179.html

I don't know if anyone actually booked and managed to get Z2 but it looks like it might have been a possibility given that Comfort fares were live at that point.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by ride red; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay so there was a very short window when CO was 2. I stand corrected.

3 still seems pretty reasonable. You board after the important people but before the unwashed masses.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

3 still seems pretty reasonable. You board after the important people but before the unwashed masses.
... and with the washed masses?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Originally Posted by canopus27
... and with the washed masses?
The "important people" and "washed masses" are Zone 1. Zones 2 to 100 are unwashed.

Honestly, with Zone 2 already including everyone with a trickle of status and their higher zone companions, Zone 1 is really the useful zone. This is especially if you board at the end of Zone 2 where it feels like half the plane has already boarded.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:22 pm

...and this assumes the GA follows boarding protocol correctly and doesn't allow the Z4+ ahead of Z3, or anyone else for that matter.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mathemagic
...and this assumes the GA follows boarding protocol correctly and doesn't allow the Z4+ ahead of Z3, or anyone else for that matter.
Which is 50% of the time. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Which is 50% of the time. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.
When it exists, about 33% of people in the Z3-Z5 line are in the right place. It’s a complete mess.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Quote:Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Booked some class X tickets for some family members. What zone will they find themselves in? I am not traveling with them.

DO they have status ? If not, likely Zone 5 though some anecdotal examples sometimes they may be on the zone of the points account holder.
What is the situation with an X segment where J is not available and the rest of the trip is booked in I? Does the passenger on the X segment board with zone 5 or with Zone 1?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Assuming there's no name match with the account holder for their status, it would be based on where they're sitting, so 3-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.