Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC 35K Marriott Gold
How can I achieve zone 2 boarding?

Hi there

My 50K status expires in 2 days as I didnt travel much last year and am only 25K so losing my zone 2 status. Is there a way I can buy a card to get zone 2 access while I build my Aeroplan status back up? I will be traveling more this year.

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
The TD Aeroplan Visa gives Zone 2 boarding and I'm sure some of the Amex cards do as well.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
The TD Aeroplan Visa gives Zone 2 boarding and I'm sure some of the Amex cards do as well.
A small correction, it has to be the VISA Infinite Privilege card from TD or CIBC. The other Aeroplan branded VISA cards will give you Zone 2 only with reward tickets.
SteadyAT, jerry305 and jc94 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
A small correction, it has to be the VISA Infinite Privilege card from TD or CIBC. The other Aeroplan branded VISA cards will give you Zone 2 only with reward tickets.
Both of which may want proof that you earn $200k as a household.

Do they always check? I’ve heard not, but I’ve had a card rejected for other reasons before... and it wasn’t my credit rating

Once you early qualify for E35k you’ll get back priority boarding, and security. I think Lat fares are the same. Lat and PY are both Zone 2 anyway.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
P25K gets zone 3. Is that too far back such that you'd want to pay for 2 before you hit E35K?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cdnflyer68
Hi there

My 50K status expires in 2 days as I didnt travel much last year and am only 25K so losing my zone 2 status. Is there a way I can buy a card to get zone 2 access while I build my Aeroplan status back up? I will be traveling more this year.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
P25K gets zone 3. Is that too far back such that you'd want to pay for 2 before you hit E35K?
(For once) I agree with the cow here. In practice there isn't much of a difference between zone 2 and zone 3 boarding, particularly if you pack light. Perhaps it gives you a slightly better odds at securing overhead bin space, but you already get a free checked bag anyways so worse case scenario they'll just check it if they run out of space. Having travelled a decent amount over the last 2-3 years, I've come to realize that the key to travel isn't to maximize the time you spend inside the thin metal tube but rather at the lounges.

IMHO the key things you've lost being demoted from 50K down to 25K are:
  1. Lounge access with AC and * partners
  2. VIP status which gives you priority if your flights go IRROPs
  3. Additional baggage allowance
  4. Priority Security and Check In across the network
  5. AC Specific Benefits (I'm sure there are some but will let cow and others chime in on this one)
The question you should be asking yourself is if you really care about those benefits. If you don't travel enough with * then no point hunting for status with them. However, if you travel enough across a variety of airlines (i.e. American, WestJet, United, Delta, etc.) then you may want to look at a good travel credit card that offers you such perks as lounge access, travel insurance, etc such as the AmEx Platinum.

In my case, I travel enough to justify hunting for Gold status with United (i.e. ~50,000 miles flying on * partners + 4 flights per year on UA metal since I'm Canadian). I can justify moving my business over to UA or AC worse case since they tend to offer the best fares for the places I want to go to ex-Europe. I also take advantage of several of the UA Gold benefits every time I travel (i.e. lounge access, priority security, check-in, etc.) At the end of the day I'm probably spending $2K-$3K annually on airfare and the benefits I get from the status are well worth me spending that chunk of change with *.

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
AmEx only offers priority security at select airports. They also offer priority check in for AC flights. However, those are only benefits of their top tier Aeroplan Reserve card (which also gives you a free companion North American award). None of the cards appear to offer priority boarding!

Originally Posted by jc94
Both of which may want proof that you earn $200k as a household.

Do they always check? I’ve heard not, but I’ve had a card rejected for other reasons before... and it wasn’t my credit rating

Once you early qualify for E35k you’ll get back priority boarding, and security. I think Lat fares are the same. Lat and PY are both Zone 2 anyway.
From my experience dealing with AmEx and TD the answer to the do they check household income appears to be a no. I'm presently an international student in the UK, yet I managed to get a UK AmEx Gold card and apply (and get approved) for several cards in Canada even though I don't have any income. I suspect they look at things other than merely income when making the determination! The only time I had my credit application rejected was with Chase back when they had the Marriott card in Canada. They gave no reason even though I had (and have) a great credit rating.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
It can also be the lower-income based "Visa Infinite" (no Privilege) card. I had one for about a year before moving up to the "Privilege" one, and it always gave me zone 2.
Mind you, this was a few years ago so it may have changed.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by kenlor
It can also be the lower-income based "Visa Infinite" (no Privilege) card. I had one for about a year before moving up to the "Privilege" one, and it always gave me zone 2.
Mind you, this was a few years ago so it may have changed.
It must have changed since the TD website states that

• Priority check-in and priority boarding3 (with Aeroplan Flight Rewards)
In addition, even if you get the more expensive card, you are forced to use your Aeroplan frequent flyer number during booking. This is inconvenient if your strategy for the year is to accrue status on another * partner that treats you better (i.e. UA, OZ, or A3).

-James
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: SQ/CX
If I have a group of 6, but 2 are on purchased Preferred Seats, do the rest get Zone 3 boarding?
No status, on revenue economy standard tickets.

Last edited by koohansen; Mar 5, 2019 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC E50, National EE, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I have an economy standard ticket for YYZ-YUL and then on onward flight with AC Rouge.

Would selecting tickets at the back of the plane on each flight get me Zone 3 boarding?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YHM_Hater
I have an economy standard ticket for YYZ-YUL and then on onward flight with AC Rouge.

Would selecting tickets at the back of the plane on each flight get me Zone 3 boarding?
The back 3rd gets Zone 3, although in my experience it’s a small third . But yes close to that back should give you Zone 3 as long as it’s Standard (ie not basic).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by koohansen
If I have a group of 6, but 2 are on purchased Preferred Seats, do the rest get Zone 3 boarding?
No status, on revenue economy standard tickets.
@koohansen, my guess is "no", but that sounds like an interesting experiment. If you turn your question into an actual experiment, please post back here what the result is/was.
koohansen likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

8146 YYC-YEG on a CR9.

I show up at T-15, and they're just calling zone 1.

J is booked 6/12, and there were a good 12 people in the zone 1 line already. However, I saw a bunch of SE tags.

The guy in front of me had big 2 on his BP, but was allowed to board.

I later noticed his E75K tag as he walked back to Y.

He knew what he was doing.

I might start calling these people out.
​​​​

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:34 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
8146 YYC-YEG on a CR9.

I show up at T-15, and they're just calling zone 1.

J is booked 6/12, and there were a good 12 people in the zone 1 line already. However, I saw a bunch of SE tags.

The fit in front of me had big 2 on his BP, but was allowed to board.

I later noticed his E75K tag as he walked back to Y.

He knew what he was doing.

I might start calling these people out.
​​​​
I've noticed this phenomenon particularly at smaller stations or on regional aircraft where those with zone 3/4 will board with the amalgamated zone 1/2 announcement. Annoyingly they are met with no opposition by the gate agents. It's frustrating when the bins on these aircraft fill up so fast ie. the notorious small-binned DH4s...
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by marke190
I've noticed this phenomenon particularly at smaller stations or on regional aircraft where those with zone 3/4 will board with the amalgamated zone 1/2 announcement. Annoyingly they are met with no opposition by the gate agents. It's frustrating when the bins on these aircraft fill up so fast ie. the notorious small-binned DH4s...
This guy was E75K though. It's not a clueless FOTSG.

I have some sympathy for FOTSGs. I have no sympathy for an E75K doing this.
DNAwizard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.