Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by eigenvector
The bigger the gongshow at the gate, the more incentive to be basically anywhere else.
Yeah, I kind of had the same idea; no rollboard means less incentive to board early, but at the same time we were at one of the D gates that has a bit less room than some of the others and boarding an oversold A320 was a gong show indeed. Especially with 17+ people trying to gate check bags at the same time as they called Z1 boarding.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase

basically like United does it now. Which runs fairly smoothly.
Yes. Even Southwest a so called low cost carrier seems to have a boarding system that works.
AC boarding with 5 zones/lines like at YVR for the YYZ widebody flights also works. I understand most gates do not have the space for 5 lines.
The current system does not work well though for the most part Z1 and Z2 seem to board together with the GA sometimes calling them together. AC GA also seem to be understandably very busy behind the counter. If they came out and moved Z2 behind the Z1 in line or eyeballed oversized bags before the boarding starts things may be smoother and it does not have to be confrontational or aggressive either - I see other airlines do this.
So the choices are :
1) have a system that is rigid and organized to the n'th degree that does not require any intervention i.e. 6 boarding lines. We obviously do not have this at AC currently.
2) Staff so you have the ability to manage the boarding process proactively. We do not have this either as we have 2-4 GA handling everything from seat assignments, gate checking bags, upgrades and the boarding process.
3) Fix the current system closer to point 1 above since the likelihood of increasing staff/costs is slim. Since there is not enough space for 6 lines at all gates, have a Zone 1, 2, 3 lines all separate. Change Zone 2 to 4 when Zone 2 has boarded. Change 3 to 5 when Zone 3 has boarded. There is absolutely no point in lining up if you are in Z4 or Z5. This would keep Z1 line open for Z1 to board anytime. It would also allow AC to board families with small children from the Z1 line AFTER Z2 has completed boarding. No clustering or chaos. No excuses from people saying they were in the right line like now (Z 1/2 or Z 3-5). Everything is self explanatory and the GA just check everyone in and execute.

Last edited by vernonc; Jan 15, 2019 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually for most of my recent flights, people have not lined up early, and the current system has worked well, much better than when people line up.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes. Even Southwest a so called low cost carrier seems to have a boarding system that works.
Southwest is a special case as they do not have assigned seats. Boarding with your zone is thus really important, and really enforced (I presume).

AC management clearly does not care about enforcing their zone boarding rules; its just one other unimportant thing. SW, its a cornerstone of everything else they do.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I was flying back connecting through YYZ to YOW on the weekend. Flight was full, on an A320, and they said they needed 17 bags gate checked. They were offering to let you board with zone 3 if you did so, and the GA was writing zone 3 on the boarding passes of people who gate checked bags.

Thought that was interesting as I hadn't seen it before; I'm guessing this is a GA being creative to get more gate check volunteers versus actual AC policy?
I assumed this was heading to people just writing Zone 3 on their own boarding passes. 😉 Also what about electronic passes?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by macleod199
Also what about electronic passes?
You've never seen pens that write on glass?
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually for most of my recent flights, people have not lined up early, and the current system has worked well, much better than when people line up.
this is what united has done by not having a lane for 3 and up. There is no place to line up. And they are actively told to remain seated. I thought at first it wouldn’t work but so far in a dozen or so flights the last while it has been perfect. Whereas I dread AC boarding each time.

one other thing to note. I have learned with united when they say boarding at 5:43, unless there is a late aircraft or issue they start boarding. Whereas for AC regardless of whether the plan has been at the gate for hours they hardly ever board at the time stated.

am I alone in knowing when I have a united flight I there when they say they will start boarding and with AC I usually arrive 5 minutes plus after they say they will start boarding
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

this is what united has done by not having a lane for 3 and up. There is no place to line up. And they are actively told to remain seated. I thought at first it wouldn’t work but so far in a dozen or so flights the last while it has been perfect. Whereas I dread AC boarding each time.

one other thing to note. I have learned with united when they say boarding at 5:43, unless there is a late aircraft or issue they start boarding. Whereas for AC regardless of whether the plan has been at the gate for hours they hardly ever board at the time stated.

am I alone in knowing when I have a united flight I there when they say they will start boarding and with AC I usually arrive 5 minutes plus after they say they will start boarding
I couldn't possibly count the number of times AC starts boarding a few minutes early.

On another note, my experience is that YYZ is the worst for gate herds. I had to wade through what felt like 9 thousand people herding around Z2-Z5 to speak to the GA at T-20. 20 minutes before starting Z1 and there's hundreds of people stepping on each other's heals. Unreal.
I
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I arrived a couple of minutes before the boarding time, most of the J cabine had already boarded....
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Boarding begins with Y tonight on AC 126 because "catering is still on board" 15 mins after scheduled boarding time...

The aircraft arrived 7 hours ago from HKG.
Bohemian1 and YXUhomebase like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Southwest is a special case as they do not have assigned seats. Boarding with your zone is thus really important, and really enforced (I presume).

AC management clearly does not care about enforcing their zone boarding rules; its just one other unimportant thing. SW, its a cornerstone of everything else they do.
Yes, off course. My point is that airlines on varying service levels from low cost to full mainline carriers can get boarding done right, why cannot AC ? All Asian carriers that I have been on, Southwest, United, American - all have done boarding right in the last 12 months that I have traveled. They may have different boarding protocols but they all find a way to make it work. AC also seems to make it work at their Asian airports, SFO and a few other places.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Gold, Nexus

From what I could tell they print a standard boarding time X minutes ahead of departure, regardless of the size of the plane and when procedure dictates they will actually board given how quick the smaller planes are to board (also given the GA may also need to finish doing check ins at the smallest stations, so they’re not even headed to the gate at the “standard” boarding time).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
On a UA flight in October, I noticed that they now only have sign lane for 2 groups - Group 1, then Group 2. The gate agent mentioned that this was a fairly new process and that people in Groups 3 to 5 should remain seated, and will use the Group 2 lane only when called. This did reduce the congestion around the the gate.
Totally agree with you - I mentioned in my above post the first time I experienced this new boarding process via UA. I felt it was very effective esp. since the gate agents were repeatedly announcing the new boarding process and telling Groups 3+ to remain seated. Further to the reduction to only 2 lanes, the other important thing is enforcing the rules. My observation is that AC agents are unfortunately, often too lax especially for domestic / TBs.
canadiancowfarmer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
ugh..
marchelli likes this.

Last edited by RangerNS; Jan 19, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: either vb or I posted to the wrong place
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:18 pm

Boarding announcements for 8547 to Thunder Bay just now in YYZ…
“Row 18 and higher" then
“Row 16 and higher" then…
Etc
“Row 4 and higher“ and finally
"Everyone else"

Minimized the time out in the very cold Toronto weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.