Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can you go into more details, because that contradicts the site, and being SE, you should NEVER be zone 5

The site specifically says "Customers who have purchased a Preferred seat board with zone 3".

Did you purchase a preferred seat, or did you obtain it in some other way?
I've just had this happen to me for a couple of flights I have tomorrow. Both are Zone 5 but I am in purchased Preferred seats. In the past, I have been able to go back into OLCI and they reprinted correctly but today it's not working that way. If I get to the gate early I will see if they can reprint them correctly. Zone 5 is really bad when you're in the front rows of economy because so many pax from further back have boarded and tend to use up the bin space in the front on there way to their seats. Ugh!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:48 am

Got Zone 5 again for my paid preferred seats today, contrary to what I've been getting the last few months and contrary to AC's stated policy on their website. Boarding with Zone 5 yesterday (all five of us on my second flight) was not so much fun. I just managed to find a spot for my under sized bag. No enforcement of their carry on rules doesn't help as many people simply had too much or a bag that was too large. On an E90 that makes a difference.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
My son just returned from an Air Canada flight (he was in business class) and reported an individual during preboarding who pushed everyone aside in zone 1 and rudely asked people in the line if they were zone 1. He pushed his way to the front.

This sort of behavior is incredibly inappropriate in my opinion. I suggested that in the future he stand his ground and try to prevent smug individuals such as that from pushing others aside.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
My son just returned from an Air Canada flight (he was in business class) and reported an individual during preboarding who pushed everyone aside in zone 1 and rudely asked people in the line if they were zone 1. He pushed his way to the front.

This sort of behavior is incredibly inappropriate in my opinion. I suggested that in the future he stand his ground and try to prevent smug individuals such as that from pushing others aside.
Did your son see what was on the perp's t-shirt?
Old May 5, 2017, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did your son see what was on the perp's t-shirt?
Hey! That's not nice.

I don't do that
Old May 5, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
From now on, when 24left is flying the new order of boarding is thus; 2.5, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 1. To board first in future you'll have to stop flying J (aka cheapening the cabin) and crediting to Aeroplan past 75k.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

Asking politely might be OK. Pushing aside is another story. But why did people let him get away with it?

But let me guess, he probably went to sit in the back, right?
Old May 6, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I had one of these push past me at boarding. Loudly yelling ZONE 1.

Then discovered I was in the pod behind him.

The look of rage when they took my meal order before him was quite a sight. Started bossing the FA and SD around. Needless to say he got no offers for refills.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A YYZ/YSB flight on April 29th had GA announce "all zones now boarding" as her 1st and only announcement for boarding the flight.

Guess I s/b happy the flight went at all
Old May 6, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I had one of these push past me at boarding. Loudly yelling ZONE 1.

Then discovered I was in the pod behind him.

The look of rage when they took my meal order before him was quite a sight. Started bossing the FA and SD around. Needless to say he got no offers for refills.
Eh, at least he was in J.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
A couple of swells walked past me as I stood at the entrance to the empty zone 1-2 corral (the incoming flight had just deplaned and I was standing in a conspicuous spot to be notified about pre boarding). Ignoring the possibility that I could be legit zone 1-2, these two special individuals muscled past and continued their conversation, conspicuously ignoring (but obviously aware of) me. When they started to wheel the wheelchairs toward zone 3-4-5 corral, I went there. The porter tried to tell me to let her pass with wheelchair #2 and the gate supervisor corrected her and indicated I belonged there. The two swells looked a little mystified that I would board before them, and was in 1A when they eventually boarded themselves. Forcibly passing people is never good form, no matter where.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I watched the boarding of AC 7314 RDU-YYZ today on a CRJ-200. The gate agent did it as:

- Zone 1/2 together
- Passengers needing assistance
- Everyone else
Old May 10, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by CMK10
I watched the boarding of AC 7314 RDU-YYZ today on a CRJ-200. The gate agent did it as:

- Zone 1/2 together
- Everyone else
Is AC RDU still done by UA staff?
Old May 10, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10

- Zone 1/2 together
- Everyone else
Although this is clearly wrong, for a CRJ it really doesn't matter. My CLE-YYZ flight was boarded the same way yesterday. Even with Zone 1 and 2 together, there were only 5 of us. I often board last on a CRJ to see if there are any open pairs of seats.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 172pilot
Although this is clearly wrong, for a CRJ it really doesn't matter. My CLE-YYZ flight was boarded the same way yesterday. Even with Zone 1 and 2 together, there were only 5 of us. I often board last on a CRJ to see if there are any open pairs of seats.
So it's ok to not follow the zone boarding procedure, some of the time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.