Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I often can't even get near the desk to inform them I am "zone asterisk" (pre-boarding) and I cannot hear their announcements, nor can I lipread them with the microphone and fist in front of their mouths. In their rejection of a previous CTA complaint, AC asserted that it is always my responsibility each and every flight to identify myself to the desk and make them aware that it is their responsibility to put me on the flight before it closes. Once I finally breach the crowd to do that, they say "just sit over ... oh." because the reserved seats for preboarding passengers are allowed to be filled with non disabled people. I am expected to stand in a nearby place where they can see me so they don't forget.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm paid J, so status is irrelevant.
Light flex, I like it

In saying that, the times I have flown J (paid, eup, opup, etc) most people moved out of the way for Z1s. Now I don't often fly in J so I certainly can't say this would be the case all the time, and you have proven that it is often not, unfortunately.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I can say that every fligh I have taken in the last year, the AC reps have been zone nazi's. You all should be proud. LOL
codfather likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I can say that every fligh I have taken in the last year, the AC reps have been zone nazi's. You all should be proud. LOL
How it should always be!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: TK *G
And after years of observation I still haven’t figured out how zone boarding is done at YYZ during evening, especially when they board two wide bodies side by side, or boarding at the gates at the corner such as E71, E79, bonus point for both of the above. All I see is a mass of people somehow all disappeared into the gate.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
Light flex, I like it

In saying that, the times I have flown J (paid, eup, opup, etc) most people moved out of the way for Z1s. Now I don't often fly in J so I certainly can't say this would be the case all the time, and you have proven that it is often not, unfortunately.
The Frankfurt situation made this especially egregious, but my experience with combined 1/2 lanes is that it's very rare they properly enforce zone 1.

And while I'm not always in J, I'm always zone 1.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
United still does it best. Zone 1 and zone 2 separate lines. Others to stay seated until called. I was sceptical when they first introduced this but seems to work well. Best AC boarding was recently when they still had the United signs up for 1 and 2 and people used them to board ...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
United still does it best. Zone 1 and zone 2 separate lines. Others to stay seated until called. I was sceptical when they first introduced this but seems to work well. Best AC boarding was recently when they still had the United signs up for 1 and 2 and people used them to board ...
I fly United quite a bit and usually I am Zone 1. Typically half the plane has boarded before they call Zone 1, with Global something, 1 K, military personnel, travelling with children, disabled and those needing more time to board coming first. It can be frustrating!
RangerNS likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
So for gates without United 1 and 2 signs, but have separate Air Canada 1 and 2 signs/separate lines, it wouldn't be as good?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by songsc
And after years of observation I still haven’t figured out how zone boarding is done at YYZ during evening, especially when they board two wide bodies side by side, or boarding at the gates at the corner such as E71, E79, bonus point for both of the above. All I see is a mass of people somehow all disappeared into the gate.
There is usually a sea of people and no way to find the end of any of the 6 marked lines. More to the point, if you ask anyone which Zone they are in, you will get a blank stare. Most pax seem to have no idea about Zones, and just try for whatever looks like the shortest line. But yes, the GAs turned back anyone who made it to the gate in the wrong Zone. And yes, lots of announcements about how it works, but little passenger notice or comprehension. Plus the chaos is exacerbated by the totally inadequate space at most YYZ International gates.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zone 1 was properly called and enforced on the YQG/YYZ 6am flight yesterday
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is Air Canada the only airline with zone boarding? I implied this planet, but sure, we can include this Solar System too.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I fly United quite a bit and usually I am Zone 1. Typically half the plane has boarded before they call Zone 1, with Global something, 1 K, military personnel, travelling with children, disabled and those needing more time to board coming first. It can be frustrating!
I also fly United quite a bit, and I think that half the plane is vastly overstated. Unless you're flying to/from India when there are frequently a huge number of BS wheelchairs, but that's an issue flying AC or other airlines as well.

Now, if you had said WestJet when you said half the plane, I would have agreed. It's an absolute joke over there, where people with teenaged kids, or those with the slightest bit of grey in their hair, all take advantage of pre-boarding. I've been on WS flights where I counted about half the plane getting on during pre-boarding.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is Air Canada the only airline with zone boarding? I implied this planet, but sure, we can include this Solar System too.
You're so FOTSG. Most airlines have zoned boarding these days. You should try getting on a plane more than twice a year
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
My flight YYZ-ORD last night, after an hour delay and gate change, had a massive crowd formed waiting for boarding. Lounge was closed, and everyone was long angry with the typical pre-clearance blackout of information.

I was in 1D, so a little concerned about space, so more than a little concerned about the apparently 20 people in front of me.

Zone 1 called once, no one moved. Zone 1 called a second time, no one moved. Zo... I step ahead of 20 people between me and the podium, and boarded first.

I'm not sure what the 20 people thought they were doing.
canadiancow and codfather like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm not sure what the 20 people thought they were doing.
They were trying to be the first people in their zones to get on board

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.