Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Removal of Premium Economy on North America eff. 3 Nov

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141104.html

Removal of Premium Economy on North America

Due to the limited amount of aircraft flying within North America featuring a Premium Economy cabin, effective November 3 1014, Premium Economy will no longer be available on flights within North America, operated on our three-cabin 777-300 or 787 aircraft. These seats will now be sold as Preferred seats.

In line with our Preferred seat product, earphones, meals, snacks and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase from our Air Canada Café.

Customers who have purchased a Premium Economy fare prior to November 3 will be contacted by Air Canada.

Premium Economy continues to be available international flights
Print Wikipost

Removal of Premium Economy on North America eff. 3 Nov

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I flew YVR-HKG-YVR in PE, and it was painfully hard on my back and behind as well.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I disagree with this on the 777 product. The PE seats on the 777 product suck for PE seats. (had to sit in them from LHR - YVR, J was sold out when booking).

The 787 PE is fine, I like them, I have used them, nothing to complain about and I would absolutely spend money on them. They are a lot like domestic J.

But on the 777 they barely deserve to be called anything more than junk.
I flew on a 777 last week in J and the pod was also junk. It killed my back while in a sitting position. My back was twinging for hours after getting off that flying POS.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
787-9 on a North America flight

YYZ-LAX 791 is now being serviced by a 789. currently they are only selling J and Y. there is no option to buy PE. Will they leave the cabin empty or upgrade status pax?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You can buy the PE seats as they are sold as preferred seats in 2-3-2 seating
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Since you are Super Elite you will be able to select a seat in the PE cabin at no charge.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Since you are Super Elite you will be able to select a seat in the PE cabin at no charge.
i called and they said its a 2 cabin plane. However I don't see and 789s with a 2 cabin configuration
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
See Jack's post above. The plane physically has 3 cabins, but within North America, they sell the PE cabin as preferred seats in Y, not a separate cabin.

As SE, you can choose a preferred seat, i.e. PE seat, for free.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
And sometimes, you have to spoon feed them the seat number.
Row 12-14 I think? I think window seats is the best. Middle seat kinda sucks.

I just want to highlight this. Before becoming E35K, sometimes the seats are actually blocked off for me from online and I have to call in every time to book them. (Which I don't understand why?)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

can confirm - flew in a 789 on AC that was only selling Y or J. Paid extra to sit in the PE cabin - best preferred seat fee I've ever spent. I would have been choked to have not paid it (thinking they were regular Y seats just at the front of the cabin) and then have to walk through the PE cabin and see those nice seats.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a real live concierge at the gate for YYZ/LAX flight on Tuesday morning :-)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by bennymac
can confirm - flew in a 789 on AC that was only selling Y or J. Paid extra to sit in the PE cabin - best preferred seat fee I've ever spent. I would have been choked to have not paid it (thinking they were regular Y seats just at the front of the cabin) and then have to walk through the PE cabin and see those nice seats.
Have to agree with this. If it's a reasonable upcharge to get the preferred seat on the 787 or refurbed 777s, GO FOR IT. The seat (hard product) is only a small step down from the domestic J seat on the Airbus fleet, and even that is pretty much debatable.

Buy yourself a leftover meal from up front (and maybe a drink to go with), and you've got a pretty cheap DIY pseudo-J experience.

On an unrelated note, nice to see the assigned 789 making this flight now fairly regularly. When I flew 792 earlier this month, it was subbed for a (refurbed) 77W, and a look at the flight's history on Flightradar suggested that AC was assigning aircraft for this flight by seeing what was hanging around at YYZ with a few hours to kill and randomly sending it down to LAX.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
And sometimes, you have to spoon feed them the seat number.
Row 12-14 I think? I think window seats is the best. Middle seat kinda sucks.

I just want to highlight this. Before becoming E35K, sometimes the seats are actually blocked off for me from online and I have to call in every time to book them. (Which I don't understand why?)
thanks for that. I snagged the last PE seat. The seat map showed it as regular preferred seat so I originally chose an exit seat.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:43 pm

I was looking forward to my first 789 flight last week but it got changed to a 333 two days before the flight. A pax across the aisle from me said he has had that happen to him 3 times since the 789 became a regular. It seemed to be due to passenger load, although the 333 had a bunch of spare seats scattered around.

Last edited by hazcaddy; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:59 pm

For NA flights, the PY seats are sold as preferred seats in economy and not as actual premium economy seats.
This means once you buy a regular economy ticket, you can pay additional preferred seat selection fee to select a seat in the premium economy section if you have no status, and if you have status you can select one for free.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
and the PE seats for Preferred seat pricing is one of the few deals in the Air Canada ecosystem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.