Layover safe time

Old Oct 30, 14, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Layover safe time

Hello, what would you consider a safe layover time-frame in Europe when travelling from Canada to Asia? When flights choice is getting slimmer, Aeroplan seems to propose tighter and tighter layovers. How low can I go?

Thank you,

Louis
Old Oct 30, 14, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Louf View Post
Hello, what would you consider a safe layover time-frame in Europe when travelling from Canada to Asia? When flights choice is getting slimmer, Aeroplan seems to propose tighter and tighter layovers. How low can I go?

Thank you,

Louis
Totally depends on the airport. So, where are you connecting?
Old Oct 30, 14, 8:33 pm

If it's the same ticket, the lower the better.
There will most likely be a schedule. With any luck that will put you below the MCT. Then call AE and get a better routing.
Old Oct 31, 14, 7:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
also depends on time of year ( winter - snow, de-icing...) and time of day
( early morning fog in FRA/ZRH, etc...)
Old Oct 31, 14, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I don't know yet, have not started shopping yet. I was looking for tips in order to better shop!

Thank you,

Louis
Old Nov 1, 14, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC*50K
I was considering the same question a few days ago when booking a reward ticket with stopovers in Europe.

I agree with the above comments about different airports, different seasons, etc., but the rule of thumb I'm using is I want at least a two-hour layover. Nothing magic about that amount of time; just general experience tells me a flight delay is very likely to be less than an hour, with some rare exceptions.

I saw Aeroplan offering options with one-hour layovers. I wouldn't take the chance, personally.
Old Nov 1, 14, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
If it's a Canada to intra-European transfer (e.g., YYZ-FRA-CDG), 1.5-2 hrs is more than fine (unless you're flying AC to CDG and then *A, then it's 3-3.5 for me).

If I have an onward international connection on a flight I really wanted, then I'd book something that had 3 hrs at the minimum. For example, YYZ-FRA-BKK.

Regardless, you'll be protected on the next flight, or if customer service is really good, they'll be proactive and offer something earlier, if available. The only caveat is that you might not get the seat you want or had reserved.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: