Search

How late can I cancel a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How late can I cancel a flight?

I have a flight booked for tonight, and I'm still not sure if I'm going to take it.

It's a Y fare from a flight pass.

When is the point of no return for getting the credit back?
T-2? Check-in cutoff? Boarding cut-off? Departure time?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I believe it's up to 2 hours before departure.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

But after that, could I call reservations to switch me to a different flight, and then cancel?

I'm in a situation where it's going to be a really last minute decision whether or not I need to head to Toronto.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Its 2 hrs and you get a "full" refund. I don't know about after 2 hrs, thats tricky. You should maybe call, if I am not mistaken after 2 hrs you may lose your FP.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
On Domestic flight it says "Cancellations can be made up to 45 minutes prior to departure."

I've also been in the position that you're in where I had to cancel last minute. I asked the Concierge to move me to a different flight at T-20min, then I called reservations and just had it cancelled.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philelite
On Domestic flight it says "Cancellations can be made up to 45 minutes prior to departure."

I've also been in the position that you're in where I had to cancel last minute. I asked the Concierge to move me to a different flight at T-20min, then I called reservations and just had it cancelled.
So I just read the whole receipt that was emailed to me, and it does say "Flight credit bookings must be cancelled at least two (2) hour prior to scheduled departure time or the flight credit will be forfeited;"

However, I wonder if your strategy would work.

Let's hope I have a definitive answer before T-2
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Let's hope I have a definitive answer before T-2
If you can't do anything just do a MR
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Current non-international flights passes for purchase all seem to say "1 hour or forfeit the credit" or "1 hour or get charged a fee" in the case of an unlimited pass.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have a flight booked for tonight, and I'm still not sure if I'm going to take it.

It's a Y fare from a flight pass.

When is the point of no return for getting the credit back?
T-2? Check-in cutoff? Boarding cut-off? Departure time?
Look at the specific terms for the flight pass. I have some flight passes that permit cancellation up to 45 minutes before departure, others that require one hour notice and another that requires two hours notices.

The cancellation policy is listed in the terms and conditions for the FP, this can be found by selecting "View Flight "Pass -> "Options"

Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Yep, it says two hours, thanks. Good to know for the future.

For today, I found out just now (8 hours before departure) that the trip was unnecessary, so I didn't have to test the limits
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I wonder if it has to do with where the travel is permitted. I have 4 different types of Latitude flight passes that allow travel in North America. Each of them has a 1 hour cancellation clause.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I wonder if it has to do with where the travel is permitted. I have 4 different types of Latitude flight passes that allow travel in North America. Each of them has a 1 hour cancellation clause.
Yes! Different locations have different rules.

Just like Latitude tickets to different places (within Canada and outside) have different cancellation policies too.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Cancel a ticket AFTER check-in?

I have an AC reservation (domestic flight) in August that I am not sure I will be using. If I use the rez, I will be tight on time and ideally, I'll do OLCI earlier in the day so I am ready to get through security if I do end up using the ticket (will be in meetings with clients all day, won't have CAN data plan).

Any issue with canceling a reservation that has already been checked in?

Thanks.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
I have an AC reservation (domestic flight) in August that I am not sure I will be using. If I use the rez, I will be tight on time and ideally, I'll do OLCI earlier in the day so I am ready to get through security if I do end up using the ticket (will be in meetings with clients all day, won't have CAN data plan).

Thanks.
I have in the past unchecked myself out and then cancelled without problems. You have to do the former before you can do the latter.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA

Thanks.
Steps to follow to do what you're looking to do.

1. Cancel your OLCI, can be done on-line or over the phone.
2. Cancel reservation, on-line, via the phone or at airport.
3. Enjoy the credit for use at another point in time (within the time period restriction).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.