Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Just saw this NZ press release

QUOTE:
International Lounges

Air New Zealand operates international lounges in ten of our main destinations
We have agreements with other lounge operators in most of our other destinations which will still allow you to relax away from the crowds. See more information on these lounges.

In addition to the Air New Zealand operated or contracted lounges, there are over 980 lounges around the world available to Star Alliance Gold customers and those travelling in First or Business Class on a Star Alliance carrier.

As part of a wider investment in the customer experience across the airline, Air New Zealand is undertaking a significant lounge redevelopment programme.

Included in this programme is the refurbishment of the Sydney International Air New Zealand Lounge.

From early November 2014 Air New Zealand will operate a temporary lounge in Sydney while the old lounge is refreshed. The temporary lounge is located in Pier C on Level 1, towards gates 50 - 63. Signage is in place to direct our customers to the temporary lounge.

The completely refurbished Air New Zealand Lounge will open in the second quarter of 2015, and will offer our customers a premium experience with great food and beverage options and increased seating.

---
Info re the Trans-Tasman Alliance is also in the link

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/international-lounges
it better be a massive refurb to take 6+ months.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks again everyone for your "reverse" tips!

Everything was as you said it was.

I am now in the SQ lounge. Zero pushback from the lounge dragon (she was very nice!). After riding the TBus (and paying the AUD$5.50) I made my way to the AC check-in counter only to see that the check-in lanes were not open yet and only baggage dropoff was open.

I checked-in at the kiosk and then had to physicially inquire with standing staff of where to get the express pass/slip. If it weren't for you guys I would not have known that I was entitled to it. So I was proactive. Why was the AC check-in counters closed yet it was already T-3 hours? I met the concierge - she was nice.

I also double checked with the standing "AC" staff and they reaffirmed that I were to use the SQ lounge because the NZ lounge is going under "refurb".

Now enjoying my quasi-bland "gourmet" frittats and chicken tenders, along with a JW Black (a sign of a "better" lounge is having Scotch at least 12 years aged)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad

I met the concierge - she was nice.
Seriously, an infinitesimal percent of FFs may actually fly more than you. I would hope they treat you better than 'nice'... Do concierges see how much one flies? Or do they just see 'SE' or 'SM'?

I'm burned out from my 200k this year, I really don't know how you do it.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
Seriously, an infinitesimal percent of FFs may actually fly more than you. I would hope they treat you better than 'nice'... Do concierges see how much one flies? Or do they just see 'SE' or 'SM'?

Ha! Well to be honest I don't really rely on concierges unless it is literally "life or death" so to speak. I am resigned to the fact that they are "glorified" agents who can do little things for you, but really have no flexibility on bending the rules for the SE or int'l J pax.

She did notice my luggage tags and hence engaged me. She probably would not have otherwise.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Not sure why the question re TA. Is a Virgin ticket out of the ordinary? Personally, I get my TA to get all my international tickets. If they can issue both AC and VA on one PNR, I guess its a good idea.

Yes, Rydges at SYD international is good. People like the runway views. Few minutes walk to check-in.
Not out of the ordinary, just wondering if a TA has access to better pricing, I'm on Aeroplan so no single PNR. Funny we are flying into Sydney but only staying overnight on our last night. A few days in Brisbane, most of our time in the Solomon's.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur

Regardless, the concierges in SYD are some of the best in the network, hands down.
and I agree, crossing 180 and boy are my arms tired!

(I'm here all week, try the veal)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Just booked a flight from YYZ-MEL for next March. Normally would have flown AC, but with the latest changes to Altitude, decided to check out my other options. Ended up booking on Air New Zealand with their Premium Economy SpaceSeat for under $2,800 to go YYZ-LAX-AKL-MEL-AKL-SFO-YYZ with a one-night stop over in Auckland on my return just for kicks.

$2,800 for a good PE product vs. over $4,000 on AC for a Y Flex fare to have a chance to use up half my eUpgrades for the year - no brainer for me.

As a bonus, the AC legs book into Latitude.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by why fly
it better be a massive refurb to take 6+ months.
They have said they are refitting SYD/AKL to the same design/standard of the new LAX *A that they operate. AKL Is meant to be starting very soon as well.

I'd say they are targeting them to be reopen in April 2015, which marks 75 years of flying AKL-SYD-AKL.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice SDs in J today on AC34. They were nice enough to go ahead serving the pre-landing meal to everyone at T-1hr. At the time of normal serving, we had some rough chop and the captain had all crew sit down... so kudos to the crew for busting their butts.

...and to the SE who proudly boasted "yep, 180,000 miles and counting..." while boarding for AC34... just wanted to proudly boast back to you:

YEP 356,000 miles and counting, and will end the year with over 400K AQM again.

and there are others who fly more than me...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Thanks for all the tips! We are AC33 but then heading off to BNE. Lots of time to get the epassport. I was planning on Virgin, should I get our TA to get our tix? Next July.
How is the Rydges airport hotel? On our way back will be flying into BNE from Honiara then directly to SYD and overnight to catch AC34 for our flight out next day.
Rydges is a very nice hotel, but depending on who and how many people are sharing your hotel room, it might not be the best choice. If I remember correctly they have a bit of an aversion to doors on some of their in-room bathroom facilities....
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
Just booked a flight from YYZ-MEL for next March. Normally would have flown AC, but with the latest changes to Altitude, decided to check out my other options. Ended up booking on Air New Zealand with their Premium Economy SpaceSeat for under $2,800 to go YYZ-LAX-AKL-MEL-AKL-SFO-YYZ with a one-night stop over in Auckland on my return just for kicks.

$2,800 for a good PE product vs. over $4,000 on AC for a Y Flex fare to have a chance to use up half my eUpgrades for the year - no brainer for me.

As a bonus, the AC legs book into Latitude.
Since I am on the same trip except sub SYD for MEL, I do not believe the AC legs book on latitude. When i got my ticket with fare classes, the AC sectors were in flex. The AKL-MEL sectors on ANZ will be Euro J i.e. middle seat blocked assuming availability. And AKL is nice if you have never been. Try bookme if you are looking for sightseeing deals, its kind off like groupon.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
Since I am on the same trip except sub SYD for MEL, I do not believe the AC legs book on latitude. When i got my ticket with fare classes, the AC sectors were in flex. The AKL-MEL sectors on ANZ will be Euro J i.e. middle seat blocked assuming availability. And AKL is nice if you have never been. Try bookme if you are looking for sightseeing deals, its kind off like groupon.
On my itinerary the AC booking class shows as "Y" and when I called in to AC to pre-reserve my seats I got an e-mail confirmation showing the bookings as "Latitude".

The AKL-MEL-AKL flights I'm on are being served by a 773 and I was able to pre-book SpaceSeats on them.

Thanks for the bookme hint.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
On my itinerary the AC booking class shows as "Y" and when I called in to AC to pre-reserve my seats I got an e-mail confirmation showing the bookings as "Latitude".

The AKL-MEL-AKL flights I'm on are being served by a 773 and I was able to pre-book SpaceSeats on them.

Thanks for the bookme hint.
A few more tips for ANZ PE...
Stay on the left side of the aircraft if possible. The washrooms on the left side are way way larger and almost luxurious.
Also avoid the bulkhead PE as the walls tend to be claustraphobic with no extra leg room compared to other PE seats.
You will arr back at LAX at TBIT. Hope you have GE or at least a Cdn/US passport as the lines otherwise can be brutal. Or convince a ANZ rep to give you a expedited transit pass. Once you pick up your bags and exit, take the ramp on the right to connections to drop your bags. You can reenter TBIT and stay in the lounge there as the new Star G lounge is way better than AC in T2. It is a 5 min walk to T2, take a left from departures level.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc
A few more tips for ANZ PE...
Stay on the left side of the aircraft if possible. The washrooms on the left side are way way larger and almost luxurious.
Also avoid the bulkhead PE as the walls tend to be claustraphobic with no extra leg room compared to other PE seats.
You will arr back at LAX at TBIT. Hope you have GE or at least a Cdn/US passport as the lines otherwise can be brutal. Or convince a ANZ rep to give you a expedited transit pass. Once you pick up your bags and exit, take the ramp on the right to connections to drop your bags. You can reenter TBIT and stay in the lounge there as the new Star G lounge is way better than AC in T2. It is a 5 min walk to T2, take a left from departures level.

Thanks for the great update and info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.