Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by coffeenomster
Asked for help a few months ago and haven't posted back, but here we go! Trip has already been taken.

YYZ > NRT J NH
NRT > HKG J NH STOP
HKG > AKL Y NZ
AKL > SYD J NZ DEST
SYD > SIN Y SQ
SIN > KIX J SQ STOP
KIX > HND Y NH
HND > YVR J NH
YVR > YYZ J AC

Paid approx $600 + $33.60 in taxes. Didn't have much choice as I was restricted to certain dates going to Australia and flights were disappearing. 10 days before my trip, there was J space on BR to HK so I quickly called in and changed my flight. Saved approx. $350, but had to pay $100 change fee and $48 in taxes. Worth it though.

YYZ > TPE J BR
TPE > HKG J BR STOP
HKG > AKL Y NZ
AKL > SYD J NZ DEST
SYD > SIN Y SQ
SIN > KIX J SQ STOP
KIX > HND Y NH
HND > YVR J NH
YVR > YYZ J AC

Thanks for everyone's help and contributions. It was my first mini-RTW and makes me want to go on another one, but alas, no more vacation days!
this looks awesome. How many aeros.?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:33 pm

YVR>EWR AC J 789
EWR>ABJ ET J 788
ABJ>ACC>JNB SA J (STOP) 332
JNB>ADD>BKK ET J 359/788
BKK>FUK TG J (STOP) 333
FUK>TPE>YVR BR J 333/77W

150k and $152.

I'm a fan of ET from previous experiences so was happy with these flights. Routing through SIN on the way to FUK went over the AP's MPM I believe so would show but were not available to select. Some other interesting options were available, including routing through Europe on the way to Japan on SA and NH through FRA, though YQ shot up significantly of course with those flights. 2 options connecting through Perth and onto SIN or BKK were my first choices but would error out after going to Passenger input page, with some error message mentioning a change in taxes making the flight 'impossible to book'.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
YVR>EWR AC J 789
EWR>ABJ ET J 788
ABJ>ACC>JNB SA J (STOP) 332
JNB>ADD>BKK ET J 359/788
BKK>FUK TG J (STOP) 333
FUK>TPE>YVR BR J 333/77W

150k and $152.

I'm a fan of ET from previous experiences so was happy with these flights. Routing through SIN on the way to FUK went over the AP's MPM I believe so would show but were not available to select. Some other interesting options were available, including routing through Europe on the way to Japan on SA and NH through FRA, though YQ shot up significantly of course with those flights. 2 options connecting through Perth and onto SIN or BKK were my first choices but would error out after going to Passenger input page, with some error message mentioning a change in taxes making the flight 'impossible to book'.
Thanks for sharing. Nice to see some 'true' mini-RTW routings listed, as opposed to YVR-Asia-YVR with 2 TPACs.

From the thread the mpm for YVR-JNB is 16362 miles. Your inbound is 15,813 miles, nice!

I see only the two stops (JNB as POT and FUK as a stopover), so you were able to book this online on your own without a phone rep? That saves another $30+, nice !

$152 taxes is super NICE, even with a small AC and a TG segment as part of your routing.

Nice, Nice, Nice!
aeroman380 likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
So this was booked today in Y ( not enough AE for J, its a gift to my son)

YVR-DEN-LHR (UA) Stop E7W 788
LHR-ADD-JNB (ET) Dest A359
JNB-JFK (SA) Stop A340
EWR-YVR (AC) 787 (JFK/EWR co-terminals)

Could not do this online because of the last leg. There was some initial reluctance from agent, who stated I could not do JFK/EWR as a stop. I insisted; he checked with a supervisor and then said yes its valid, as JFK/EWR are classified as a co-terminal, and not an open-jaw.
100 000 miles + $453 in taxes. (a large portion is LHR departure tax)
Old May 15, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
So this was booked today in Y ( not enough AE for J, its a gift to my son)

YVR-DEN-LHR (UA) Stop E7W 788
LHR-ADD-JNB (ET) Dest A359
JNB-JFK (SA) Stop A340
EWR-YVR (AC) 787 (JFK/EWR co-terminals)

Could not do this online because of the last leg. There was some initial reluctance from agent, who stated I could not do JFK/EWR as a stop. I insisted; he checked with a supervisor and then said yes its valid, as JFK/EWR are classified as a co-terminal, and not an open-jaw.
100 000 miles + $453 in taxes. (a large portion is LHR departure tax)
There are some really good Aeroplan agents, but there are the really, really dumb ones who start arguing that Newark is not New York, or Moscow's airports are all separate cities (despite being part of the same 'NYC' or 'MOW'). Glad you were able to break through the idiocy!
Old May 20, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by jhartley15
PEK to YUL on CA. I was not so impressed with CA and would not take them again if I could avoid.
That sounds like an interesting trip. Curious why you would avoid CA? Most of what I read online said they are pretty solid in J?
Old May 20, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by AhmedF
That sounds like an interesting trip. Curious why you would avoid CA? Most of what I read online said they are pretty solid in J?
I’ve flown a lot of CA and I’ve given up on them. I won’t fly them again unless I have to (and unfortunately since their R class fares are VERY cheap and still earn a lot of miles, I might ... but whatever). Reasons:

- food is very meh. In fact, I just have a memory of very odd liquid food with no particular texture or flavour. Absolutely nothing to write home about.
- wine is very meh. Their western wines are so-so and the Chinese wines are terrible, though maybe an interesting oddity.
- cell phones used to be banned. Try being on an 11 hour flight with no mobile phone for movies etc. i think they’ve finally stopped that idiocy.
- Transit in PEK is an absolute nightmare. By far and away THIS is the reason I won’t fly CA anymore - you HAVE to go though immigration and security, and it’s a CIRCUS - no priority lanes for business, just a sea of people, and if the construction is still on, then there’s no (strong) air conditioning in the security scan area, so it’s a complete nightmare.
- lounge is crap, even if you go to the “F” lounge (that can be accessed with priority pass)
- delays can mean you miss your connection and have to spend even more time in PEK.

So yeah ... if you can help it, avoid CA and PEK.
AhmedF likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I’ve flown a lot of CA and I’ve given up on them. I won’t fly them again unless I have to (and unfortunately since their R class fares are VERY cheap and still earn a lot of miles, I might ... but whatever). Reasons:

- food is very meh. In fact, I just have a memory of very odd liquid food with no particular texture or flavour. Absolutely nothing to write home about.
- wine is very meh. Their western wines are so-so and the Chinese wines are terrible, though maybe an interesting oddity.
- cell phones used to be banned. Try being on an 11 hour flight with no mobile phone for movies etc. i think they’ve finally stopped that idiocy.
- Transit in PEK is an absolute nightmare. By far and away THIS is the reason I won’t fly CA anymore - you HAVE to go though immigration and security, and it’s a CIRCUS - no priority lanes for business, just a sea of people, and if the construction is still on, then there’s no (strong) air conditioning in the security scan area, so it’s a complete nightmare.
- lounge is crap, even if you go to the “F” lounge (that can be accessed with priority pass)
- delays can mean you miss your connection and have to spend even more time in PEK.

So yeah ... if you can help it, avoid CA and PEK.
Damn - good to know. Flying HND->AKL via PEK and CA J.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:42 am

Just booked this for Nov-Dec:

YYZ > ORD Y AC
ORD > HND F NH
22h layover
HND > PEK J NH
PEK > AKL J CA
STOP
AKL > PER Y NZ
DEST
PER > SIN J SQ
20h layover
SIN > MNL J SQ
23:40 layover
MNL > ROR Y UA
STOP
ROR > ICN J OZ
ICN > PVG J OZ
PVG > YYZ J AC

It ended up being 440k points $1800 $900 in fees (two of us).

Only way out of ROR is via Guam (mess getting home) or ICN, and only way forward ICN is either through PVG or LAX (and I'm not in the mood of going through the US). Hoping some direct ICN > YYZ opens up.

The layovers are perfect because I have friends in all three places and so getting to stay with them.

Last edited by AhmedF; May 21, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Wrong YQ
Old May 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

Just booked this for Nov-Dec:

It ended up being 440k points $1800 in fees (two of us).
Ouch, $900 per pax?

Was it due to the AC PVG-YYZ leg?
Old May 21, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Ouch, $900 per pax?

Was it due to the AC PVG-YYZ leg?
Hrmm - I remember the agent saying $1800, but the actual email ticket has it at $434/person. And it looks like that is what I was charged on my AMEX.

Whoops - gotta update the post. I do remember the ROR->ICN->PVG->YYZ was ~$350.

With that said - I'm speaking at an event in NZ, and they're paying me a flat-sum of $4000 to get there, so eating some costs for my comfort (I really loathe going through the US, and I even have NEXUS). I might make an exception to my US disdain if I can find a first class out of ICN that is non-west coast (only seeing OZ to LAX). I did read there would be ICN>JFK first class, but so far just finding J.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:35 pm

Hrmm - I remember the agent saying $1800, but the actual email ticket has it at $434/person. And it looks like that is what I was charged on my AMEX.

With that said - I'm speaking at an event in NZ, and they're paying me a flat-sum of $4000 to get there, so eating some costs for my comfort (I really loathe going through the US, and I even have NEXUS). I might make an exception to my US disdain if I can find a first class out of ICN
This actually happened to me a couple of times. Agent would come back with a number for taxes/fees, but after going through ticketing, the charge to my card in the end was different.

If you're willing to go through the US, why not try ICN-NRT-XXX and get on NH F? One extra segment, but since you're already paying F costs for this trip...
AhmedF likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:41 pm

With that said - I'm speaking at an event in NZ, and they're paying me a flat-sum of $4000 to get there, so eating some costs for my comfort (I really loathe going through the US, and I even have NEXUS). I might make an exception to my US disdain if I can find a first class out of ICN that is non-west coast (only seeing OZ to LAX). I did read there would be ICN>JFK first class, but so far just finding J.
I just flew NH F and it's great but I'm not sure if it's worth the premium if that's the only F flight you're taking especially since you're ex-ORD. You'll save like 60k points person changing it to a J flight, which I think you should consider if you can't find a return in F as well. Just my two cents.
AhmedF likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

I'm coming out of ROR, so the only option I have to ICN is Dec 3. Couldn't find any F to fly from ICN or HND/NRT to ORD/NYC and then to YYZ.

As for why F flying in - I couldn't find a J flight from YYZ that would let us maximize our time in HND before we went to AKL. Plus, my logic was I have enough points and with a ~22h layover in Tokyo, hopefully we can get some sleep and not get .....slapped by jetlag.

If there's a flight I'm missing, all ears!

I was gonna set an expertflyer check on either the direction from ICN->YYZ Air Canada or if OZ222 (ICN->JFK) F opens up (only J for now, and am now mulling changing to that anyway).
Old May 21, 2018, 3:58 pm

Then again wow there is zero availability JFK->YYZ (of course all the other days are open). $430 to buy 2x JFK->YYZ, but I wager we'd save enough from the YQ that it would be an overall nominal amount.

Could have been a good opportunity to spend the night (tons of friends here - I've hosted a charity event in NYC), but I think after 5 flights in 8 days we'll be ready to go home

This is fun - it's akin to assembling a puzzle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.