Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by opentag

TPE-AMS? Is that a new BR route?
It is a similar routing to tpe-bkk-vie, except it goes tpe-bkk-ams. And indeed your previous comment was accurate - if they counted tpe-bkk-ams, I would have exceed the yyz-mel 16200 mpm. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:08 am

The new one is TPE-MXP as of Feb 2020. You can find some availability online already.
cennis likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
I've booked my first, and likely with the new changes coming September 1, last mini-RTW.

YYZ-TPE (BR - J) (2 hour connection)
TPE-SGN (BR - J)
-stop- [some paid local flights here]

SGN-SIN (SQ - J) (5.5 hour connection)
SIN-MLE (SQ - split J/Y with two in J and 1 in Y)
- stop / destination -

MLE - IST (TK - J)
- 13 hours in IST (intentional) -
IST - VIE (TK - J)
-stop-

VIE - YYZ (AC - J)

Taxes and fees (including booking fee) were a whopping $831 CAD per person.
The 'problem child' flight is solely the Air Canada flight representing about $600 of the cost.
I plan on keeping an eye out for better options and will pay the $100 change fee for a routing like: VIE-EWR-YYZ (UA-J) or VIE-WAW-YYZ (LO) to save $500 per person. We are three passengers so it was a bit harder to book this.
You can try routing through these options which have fairly low fees. I saw these available in May/June/July 2020 for 2, not sure about 3.
VIE-LIS-YYZ all on TAP
VIE-LIS-BOS/ORD/IAD-YYZ TAP+AC short haul
VIE-ZRH-YUL-YTZ LX+AC short haul
VIE-ZRH-BOS/ORD-YYZ LX+AC short haul
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just got off the phone making this "dummy" booking for 2 tix that I'll later change the dates of (for 400 extra...) to depart August 2020. Lady on the phone also confirmed again that I'll definitely be able to retain the two stopover and make date changes since I booked it before rule change, if anyone else was interested in doing that. But got it in now to retain the two stopovers:

YVR-EWR AC J
EWR-ZRH LX J //STOP
ZRH-JNB LX J
JNB-CPT SA J //DEST
CPT-ADD ET J
ADD-PVG ET J //STOP
PVG-TPE BR J
TPE-SEA BR J
SEA-YVR AC Y (lol)

Total cost for 2 people was 617.62CAD + 65CAD in phone-in booking fees.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:24 pm

Booked a first ever mini RTW!

YYC-IAH AC J
IAH-BOG UA Y
BOG-BCN AV J
BCN-IST TK J (Stopover)
IST-CAI MS J
CAI-JNB MS J
JNB-ELS SA J (Destination)
ELS-JNB SA J
JNB-ADD ET J
ADD-SIN ET J (Stopover)
SIN-SGN SQ J
SGN-ICN OZ J
ICN-SEA OZ J
SEA-YVR AC Y
YVR-YYC AC J

155K miles + $485.31 fees & taxes + booking fee
cennis likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was bored, and had a whole long weekend to kill, so I found this:

Code:
2019-08-30 UA 1909 SFO-IAH (I)
2019-08-31 LH  441 IAH-FRA (O)
2019-09-01 TG  921 FRA-BKK (O)
2019-09-02 TG  660 BKK-HND (O)
2019-09-02 NH  106 HND-LAX (O)
2019-09-02 UA 5324 LAX-MRY (X)
2019-09-03 UA 5316 MRY-SFO (X)

I'll deal with LAX-SFO later.

I messaged a few cow-like people about it, and they both seemed interested. All segments had the fare class in 3+, except HND-LAX, which was O1 I3+.
So I have a calf with me who's on all the same segments, except HND-LAX is currently in I. But it's F6.

And we're going to deal with the LAX-SFO closer to departure.

I booked SFO-IAH-FRA online for $1100x2 in taxes/fees, then called to add the rest, and half that amount was refunded.

No booking fee or change fee, obviously, and there will be no change fee when I fix the final two segments.

I'm a little annoyed that we split the PNR to put me in F for the TPAC though, because now only canadiancalf is listed for a CPU on LAX-MRY.
Vaguswarrior likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was bored, and had a whole long weekend to kill, so I found this:

Code:
2019-08-30 UA 1909 SFO-IAH (I)
2019-08-31 LH 441 IAH-FRA (O)
2019-09-01 TG 921 FRA-BKK (O)
2019-09-02 TG 660 BKK-HND (O)
2019-09-02 NH 106 HND-LAX (O)
2019-09-02 UA 5324 LAX-MRY (X)
2019-09-03 UA 5316 MRY-SFO (X)

I'll deal with LAX-SFO later.

I messaged a few cow-like people about it, and they both seemed interested. All segments had the fare class in 3+, except HND-LAX, which was O1 I3+.
So I have a calf with me who's on all the same segments, except HND-LAX is currently in I. But it's F6.

And we're going to deal with the LAX-SFO closer to departure.

I booked SFO-IAH-FRA online for $1100x2 in taxes/fees, then called to add the rest, and half that amount was refunded.

No booking fee or change fee, obviously, and there will be no change fee when I fix the final two segments.

I'm a little annoyed that we split the PNR to put me in F for the TPAC though, because now only canadiancalf is listed for a CPU on LAX-MRY.
Why'd you book it online? You get a tax refund because for whatever reason, if you fly USA-GERMANY-XXX, USA-GERMANY is YQ-free (and you get to skip the LH scamcharges), but stopping in Germany means you have to pay YQ. And this doesn't apply to Canada-Germany-XXX flights either. No clue why.

(just in case someone else reading your post goes "why'd cow get a refund, did he seduce the operator???", in case you already know)
cennis likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Why'd you book it online? You get a tax refund because for whatever reason, if you fly USA-GERMANY-XXX, USA-GERMANY is YQ-free (and you get to skip the LH scamcharges), but stopping in Germany means you have to pay YQ. And this doesn't apply to Canada-Germany-XXX flights either. No clue why.

(just in case someone else reading your post goes "why'd cow get a refund, did he seduce the operator???", in case you already know)
I knew, but thank you for explaining it for others.

I booked it online because as an SE, I have a $30 phone booking fee, but I have a change fee waiver. And the whole itinerary wouldn't show up online.

Also I booked SFO-IAH-FRA around 2:15 before departure, and the ticketing cutoff with Aeroplan is 2 hours
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Booked my first-ever mini-RTW trip. How'd I do?

Goal: To visit Australia with stopovers in Japan and Germany.
My itinerary:
Saturday, April 11 AC799 YYZ LAX
Sunday, April 12 OZ201 LAX ICN
Tuesday, April 14 OZ106 ICN NRT
Wednesday, April 22 NH807 NRT BKK
Thursday, April 23 SQ979 BKK SIN
Friday, April 24 SQ225 SIN PER
Wednesday, May 6 SQ224 PER SIN
Wednesday, May 6 SQ974 SIN BKK
Thursday, May 7 TK59 BKK IST
Thursday, May 7 TK1727 IST TXL
Saturday, May 16 LX967 TXL ZRH
Sunday, May 17 LX86 ZRH YUL
Sunday, May 17 AC429 YUL YYZ
Everything is in business class.

Some of the routing left something to be desired. I would have preferred to land in SYD instead of PER, but I had incredible difficulty finding any availability. Likewise, any intra-Japan flights were a no-go. And I couldn't figure out a way to get it to work such that I'd be able to take a city tour in Singapore or Istanbul.
I think I could have done a bit better if I thought it through a bit more and spent more time on it (not that this didn't take a lot of time to piece together!).. but that August 31 deadline loomed large.
cennis likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TheImp
Goal: To visit Australia with stopovers in Japan and Germany.......
I think I could have done a bit better if I thought it through a bit more and spent more time on it (not that this didn't take a lot of time to piece together!).. but that August 31 deadline loomed large.
Welcome to FT and congrats on getting it all together.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:05 am

We (me+1) have done mRTW trips in the past, but for practical reasons (like vacation availability, etc) they never actually went all the way around the world, using all three stops in one region.

With the rule changes coming up, we decided it was time to finally do a true mRTW that actually goes RTW.

Tried very hard to do Japan, Australia, and Europe, and could have made it work with PER (similar to Thelmp above), but with starting from YYC rather than YYZ it would have limited our options in Europe.

So in the end:

YYC-YVR - AC J
YVR-HND - NH J
HND-GMP - NH (One J, One Y, for now)
ICN-SIN - SQ J
SIN-DPS - SQ J
DPS-SIN - SQ J
SIN-BKK - SQ J
BKK-ZRH - LX J
ZRH-YUL - LX J
YUL-YYC - AC J

Taxes/fees: $535.31 + $31.50 per person

Will be setting an alert to look for availability to switch the BKK-ZRH leg to BKK-VIE to try out the new BR.

Thanks to all of those who've contributed to this forum over the years that gave me the background understanding to be able to book this in a short period of time before the rule change!

Side note:

Aeroplan customer service person was excellent - she was the first I've had who was exited rather than confused that I had all the airport codes, flight numbers and dates ready for her to enter and entering them and getting confirmed bookings took less than 15 minutes, despite her having to do it twice as the miles were coming out of two different accounts.

Then, we waited over an hour on hold together for a supervisor to approve the tax/fees payment, as quote "there's too much tax" by which she meant there were too many different tax line items for the system to handle so a supervisor had to manually approve it.

She said the wait for a supervisor was really long because "Today's the last day to book these really complicated itineraries, so we're really busy!"

Last edited by peteremcc; Sep 1, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
RIP 2 stopover mRTWs.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:19 am

Booked under the wire. 3 PAX, all in J except for that one pesky DH8 segment.

YVR-YEG AC
<24 hours
YEG-YYC AC
​​​​​​​<24 hours
YYC-NRT AC
stop
NRT-ICN-TAS OZ
turnaround
TAS-IST-CDG TK
stop
CDG-FRA-ZRH LH
<24 hours
ZRH-YVR AC

$442+$31.50
nnanlno likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:22 am

A friend has in J:

YVR-HND NH
HND-SIN NH
SIN-DPS SQ turnaround
DPS-IST TK
IST-FRA TK stop
FRA-YVR AC

$273
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Booked under the wire. 3 PAX, all in J except for that one pesky DH8 segment.

YVR-YEG AC
<24 hours
YEG-YYC AC
<24 hours
YYC-NRT AC
stop
NRT-ICN-TAS OZ
turnaround
TAS-IST-CDG TK
stop
CDG-FRA-ZRH LH
<24 hours
ZRH-YVR AC

$442+$31.50
That is a pretty low total fees for long haul AC, OZ and another AC. The two LH shorthaul isn't cheap either. I'd estimate those to add up 600-800 pp. I wonder what's the trick/catch here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.