Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 17, 4:26 pm

Just booked the following all in J for 2 pax at the end of the year:

YYZ-YVR (AC) Stop
YVR-TPE (AC) Dest
TPE-IST (TK) - 7 hr layover - hope i qualify for a day room
IST-FCO (TK) Stop
FCO-YYZ (AC)

Total taxes came out to $215 + the $33.90 phone fee for each Pax. Also of note, i was pleasantly surprised I was connected to Aeroplan immediately and the whole booking only took 30 minutes - i remember last time i did a mini rtw i had to wait an hour before being connected to an agent.

PS Thanks to jerryhung for some initial input.

Last edited by sxc234; Aug 27, 17 at 4:34 pm
Old Aug 29, 17, 12:08 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
Booked x2 in J for 2018:

YYZ - YVR (AC) 77W N
YVR - HND (NH) 789 J [stop]
HND - KIX (NH) 76P Y
KIX - HKG (NK) 763 J [destination]
HKG - ZRH (LX) 77W J
ZRH - AMS (LX) 320 J [stop]
AMS - YYZ (AC) 333 J

Taxes and Fees $285.46 each + 33.90

Code:
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge     $ 25.91
Swiss Passenger Security and Noise Charge                    $ 20.90 
Netherlands Domestic/International Security Charge           $ 15.00 
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee                           $ 28.70 
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax                        $ 19.10
Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge                  $  7.20
Narita Passenger Security Service Charge (intl)              $  3.50 
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax                                  $  3.25 
Netherlands Domestic/International Passenger Service Charge  $ 17.80
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee        $ 25.00
Japan Passenger Facilities Charge                            $ 31.20
Carrier Surcharge                                            $ 87.90
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Total per passenger                                          $285.46
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by sxc234 View Post
Just booked the following all in J for 2 pax at the end of the year:

YYZ-YVR (AC) Stop
YVR-TPE (AC) Dest
TPE-IST (TK) - 7 hr layover - hope i qualify for a day room
IST-FCO (TK) Stop
FCO-YYZ (AC)

Total taxes came out to $215 + the $33.90 phone fee for each Pax. Also of note, i was pleasantly surprised I was connected to Aeroplan immediately and the whole booking only took 30 minutes - i remember last time i did a mini rtw i had to wait an hour before being connected to an agent.

PS Thanks to jerryhung for some initial input.
Are you Super Elite? This YQ nonsense has been confusing me lately. You've got 2 AC INTL J flights and somehow it only comes to $215.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Are you Super Elite? This YQ nonsense has been confusing me lately. You've got 2 AC INTL J flights and somehow it only comes to $215.
I have zero status with AC or AP. Yes i know it's a bit confusing as I thought the FCO-YYZ leg would have costed me more because i checked the other way and it's at least $400 pp. I did use ITA Matrix to estimate and it came pretty damn close.
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by sxc234 View Post
I have zero status with AC or AP. Yes i know it's a bit confusing as I thought the FCO-YYZ leg would have costed me more because i checked the other way and it's at least $400 pp. I did use ITA Matrix to estimate and it came pretty damn close.
Ok, no shade to the guy posting the routing, but can ANYONE explain this?

I was trying to book YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK-TPE-YVR. The only leg that should've had YQ was YVR-PDX. But of course, since it's a total scam they say "oh yea well it's just that leg, but since you're travelling internationally it's charged for the whole itinerary". They wanted over $200 + the booking fee.

This poster, has no status (I have e35k, which should've exempted me from the TB YQ, though it's out the window when travelling internationally) has YYZ-YVR on AC, YVR-TPE on AC which should generate huge fees, plus FCO-YYZ on AC. I'm happy for the poster to get it all for around $200, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old Aug 31, 17, 8:06 am

Stopping in London? Big departure tax if flying business class. 200 is pretty much nothing, my last mini rtw was near 300 and only 30 of that was YQ
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
He must be SE to avoid AC's YQ
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Shanqx View Post
He must be SE to avoid AC's YQ
I can assure you i am not
Old Aug 31, 17, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Ok, no shade to the guy posting the routing, but can ANYONE explain this?

I was trying to book YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK-TPE-YVR. The only leg that should've had YQ was YVR-PDX. But of course, since it's a total scam they say "oh yea well it's just that leg, but since you're travelling internationally it's charged for the whole itinerary". They wanted over $200 + the booking fee.

This poster, has no status (I have e35k, which should've exempted me from the TB YQ, though it's out the window when travelling internationally) has YYZ-YVR on AC, YVR-TPE on AC which should generate huge fees, plus FCO-YYZ on AC. I'm happy for the poster to get it all for around $200, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.
It's what it is, strange booking engine/rule

I can vouch for him too as I had no status and playing with YYZ-FCO on AC, coupled with TPE mRTW, resulted in low total tax/fees $$, LOWER than a direct YYZ-FCO AC round-trip

For HKG as destination, I understand; but for TPE, very strange too
Married segment? Whatever odd combination that resulted in such low YQ
Old Sep 3, 17, 8:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex, Alaska, SPG, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mike OWaterloo View Post
I'm a newbie to this mini-RTW business ...

I'd like to go
YYZ
CDG
CPT
SYD
YYZ

but I think that's not possible because the flights have to be reasonably close to great circle: and if you wanted to go to say Sydney as the turnaround point, going via Cape Town (or anywhere in South Africa) would not be a valid route. Is that correct?
Yes because you would have to fly through JNB twice to get to CPT. That's fine if CPT is your destination, but if SYD is your dest that will not work.

Edit: You can fly CDG-ADD-CPT (Y only) but to get to SYD it requires over MPM. Only options are the mentioned JNB-PER-AKL-SYD or also JNB-SIN-SYD

Last edited by gordie44; Sep 3, 17 at 8:34 pm
Old Sep 3, 17, 8:40 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Mike OWaterloo View Post
I'm a newbie to this mini-RTW business ...

I'd like to go
YYZ
CDG
CPT
SYD
YYZ

but I think that's not possible because the flights have to be reasonably close to great circle: and if you wanted to go to say Sydney as the turnaround point, going via Cape Town (or anywhere in South Africa) would not be a valid route. Is that correct?
Just go to JNB and connect using Avios to Comair's JNB-CPT flights. This will save you some headache.
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I will miss Aeroplan. Its such a great credit card rewards program.
I will miss emptying out my account every couple years for a nice reward

Booked for 2 today in only 17 minutes (!) and no wait time

YYZ-MIA (ACr) stop
MIA-IST-SEZ (TK) stop
SEZ-IST-ZAG (TK) stop
ZAG-WAW-ORD-YYZ (LO/AC) stop

$426 tax per person ($124.40 of it YQ/YR for LO/AC)

10.00XA17.60XY13.80YC40.30HR21.10XW94.40YQ0.20ND2. 00MI15.00TR14.00AY62.90DW30.00YR25.00SQ45.20US XF5.70ORD4.50
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:50 pm

We booked the most basic mini-RTW that you can expect for 3 people. Happy to find this itinerary for January. Like above, super speedy (under 20 minutes for 2 separate bookings as there was only one J seat on BKK-TPE - and HKT-BKK, but I assumed correctly that was opening after the first 2 tickets were ticketed.)

YYZ-IST (stop) TK
IST-HKT (destination) TK
HKT-BKK (stop) TH
BKK-TPE-IST BR

$106.86 per ticket plus $33.90 booking fee. This is only an 11 day trip, so we didn't throw in anything extra or special. We also didn't realize that there was a direct IST-HKT flight, so that was handy to find on the *A flight map.
Old Sep 7, 17, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi all, first time posting here but Iíve been a long-time lurker and am indebted to the users here for their unwitting help and advice in making my first ever Aeroplan booking.

I managed to book the following in J for 2 people next summer:

SFO-NRT (NH) 77W J
NRT-ICN (OZ) 321 J
ICN-IST (TK) 777 J
IST-ATH (TK) 333 Y [destination]

ATH-IST (TK) 73J J
IST-WAW (TK) 321 J [stop]

WAW-ZRH (LX) CS1 J
ZRH-YUL (LX) 333 J
YUL-YYZ (AC) 333 J
YYZ-YVR (AC) 77L J [open jaw]

Iím keeping an eye on the IST-ATH leg to see if J becomes available.
Ideally Iíd avoid ICN and take NRT-IST directly but there was no J availability when I booked.
Similarly if we could take YUL-YVR direct on the return we would, but itís not available in J. Iíll probably ask if we can switch to the direct flight when we get to YUL.
We thought about doing a layover in either NRT or ICN but unfortunately the flight timings didnít really work out for us.

I realize this is a rather complicated routing but this will be the first time either of us has been in long-haul J and weíre both willing to take a longer routing to try more airlines.

I got the idea to try routing NA-Europe over Asia when Aeroplan offered me an IST-SFO trip via ICN when I was searching for combinations. I was quoted an SFO-ATH city-pair mileage of 11265 which offers quite a lot of flexibility for a NA-Europe 2 route

The total cost was 115k AP + C$393.62pp plus phone charge.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me without knowing it! Particular tips of the hat to jerryhungís YQ-saving post, mini-RTW questions, and the city pair mileage post.
Old Sep 7, 17, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by JamieDass View Post
Hi all, first time posting here but Iíve been a long-time lurker and am indebted to the users here for their unwitting help and advice in making my first ever Aeroplan booking.

I managed to book the following in J for 2 people next summer:

SFO-NRT (NH) 77W J
NRT-ICN (OZ) 321 J
ICN-IST (TK) 777 J
IST-ATH (TK) 333 Y [destination]

ATH-IST (TK) 73J J
IST-WAW (TK) 321 J [stop]

WAW-ZRH (LX) CS1 J
ZRH-YUL (LX) 333 J
YUL-YYZ (AC) 333 J
YYZ-YVR (AC) 77L J [open jaw]

Iím keeping an eye on the IST-ATH leg to see if J becomes available.
Ideally Iíd avoid ICN and take NRT-IST directly but there was no J availability when I booked.
Similarly if we could take YUL-YVR direct on the return we would, but itís not available in J. Iíll probably ask if we can switch to the direct flight when we get to YUL.
We thought about doing a layover in either NRT or ICN but unfortunately the flight timings didnít really work out for us.

I realize this is a rather complicated routing but this will be the first time either of us has been in long-haul J and weíre both willing to take a longer routing to try more airlines.

I got the idea to try routing NA-Europe over Asia when Aeroplan offered me an IST-SFO trip via ICN when I was searching for combinations. I was quoted an SFO-ATH city-pair mileage of 11265 which offers quite a lot of flexibility for a NA-Europe 2 route

The total cost was 115k AP + C$393.62pp plus phone charge.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me without knowing it! Particular tips of the hat to jerryhungís YQ-saving post, mini-RTW questions, and the city pair mileage post.
This is AMAZING! You are circumnavigating the world on a mini-RTW using NA to Europe 2 points (115K in J) and the taxes (<$400) are very reasonable considering all those countries and airports.
JamieDass likes this.

Search this Thread