Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

Old May 1, 17, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Aeroplan 35k, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Diamond, TK Elite
Had to change the previous booking due to some scheduling conflicts, travel started end of March and returned back last week:

[AC] YOW-YYZ
[MS] YYZ-CAI
[MS] CAI-MED (Stopover1)
[ET] MED-ADD
[ET] ADD-BKK (Destination)
[SQ] BKK-SIN
[TK] BKK-IST
[TK] IST-LHR (Stopover2)
[LX] LHR-ZHR
[LX] ZHR-YUL
[AC] YUL-YOW

Had a bit of trouble with the BKK-LHR sector as it mysteriously disappeared twice..was told it was due to different ticketing systems?!.

Found out a week before travel start and AP fixed it, got J class for CAI-MED and BKK-SIN sectors (probably because all the reward seats were gone?).

The BKK-LHR booking disappeared again 2 days before we were supposed to depart BKK, AP fixed it again, but had to issue new tickets. Got J class for IST-LHR and Changed SIN-IST from SQ to TK. However, ran into trouble at the airport in SIN and LHR as the new ticket issued only had allowance for 1 baggage/ticket. SQ overrode it, but LX won't override it at LHR. Approached AC ticketing counter at LHR and had to convince them to fix it to 2bags/tickets....at the end it worked out, but would have liked it if I didn't have to go through the hassle and waste an hour at the AC counter.

Originally Posted by syntron View Post
Just booked 4 tickets in Y (90k/pp) for travel in the third week of March 2017:

[AC] YOW-YUL
[TK] YUL-IST
[TK] IST-SIN
[SQ] SIN-BKK (Destination)
[ET] BKK-ADD
[ET] ADD-JED (Stopover1)
[MS] JED-CAI
[MS] CAI-LHR (Stopover2)
[UA] LHR-IAD
[UA] IAD-YOW

$400+$30/pp
Old May 1, 17, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
+1. How'd you book Air China?
Assuming this refers to my post above (#362), I reported my success in the Aeroplan not showing Air China award space thread.

The key steps were identifying Star Alliance reward space (such as with Expert Flyer) and then calling a knowledgeable AP agent and asking them to direct book the CA segment(s).
Old May 1, 17, 9:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Here is a mini RTW that I flew with my cousin last week. Not my best work, and embarassed that we flew nearly direct to the point of turn.. But had to fit this into a very specific vacation schedule.

YYZ-SFO (AC 767 J) - connect 3hrs
SFO-PVG (UA 747 J UD! with Polaris swag!) - POT 3 days
PVG-ICN (OZ J) - connect 23hrs
ICN-FUK (OZ A330 J) - connect 20hrs
FUK-ITM (NH B767 Y) - stop 2 days
ITM-HND (NH B787 Y) - stop 2 days
NRT-ORD (NH B777 J) - connect 3hrs
ORD-YYZ (AC E190 J)

Taxes were just over $300. All in all a great trip. I got to see tons of Japan in 4 days. Instead of YYZ-NRT r/t, I pushed him out of his comfort level to add "free" visits to Shanghai and Seoul. (I had to take drastic action-- emailing his employer to beg for an extra half day off to start the trip a day early!).
What is the meanning of Y, J and F letter ??

Thanks
Old May 1, 17, 10:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Damn...somehow you managed TG short haul F and OZ long haul F and still only $387?

How the hell did mine add up to like $800?

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I have a CS100 in August on LX, look forward to that - waking up at 4am just to fly it (instead of taking a later flight).

It's 3 stops. One of them is *called* a "destination" but in reality, just think of it as 3 stops in the full itinerary.
I was gonna spend 1 night in Warsaw (not that I don't like Warsaw, it's fun and cheap, plus great vodka) just to get the LX CS100 flight to ZRH as well.

I have to ask about the 3 stops again. I MUST be missing something. When you do multi-city, it only allows for 2. Is that to say that over the phone you can insert the third? My trip has stops in DXB and BKK, but I would've loved to have 2 days in TPE on the way home. Would I have been able to do that?
Old May 1, 17, 10:02 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Damn...somehow you managed TG short haul F and OZ long haul F and still only $387?

How the hell did mine add up to like $800?

I was gonna spend 1 night in Warsaw (not that I don't like Warsaw, it's fun and cheap, plus great vodka) just to get the LX CS100 flight to ZRH as well.

I have to ask about the 3 stops again. I MUST be missing something. When you do multi-city, it only allows for 2. Is that to say that over the phone you can insert the third? My trip has stops in DXB and BKK, but I would've loved to have 2 days in TPE on the way home. Would I have been able to do that?
That's right. Online you can only do two stops - phone permits a third, at a cost of $30 (phone booking fee), as well as much more freedom with routings.
Old May 1, 17, 11:09 pm

WHAT?!?!? Why am I just finding out about this now!??

Crap.

I know about the routing thing, had no clue about the third stop, I would've given myself 1-2 days in TPE on this one for sure. On the other one I had booked I would've given myself at least 1 full day somewhere else.

Good to know my friend. Planning YVR-EZE-MSY-YVR...maybe I can squeeze in BOG before MSY, I wish I could go to PTY and especially to get the direct flight from PTY-MSY, but...alas the Copa space is still non-existant.

I still maintain, while full of flaws, there's good value to be had in AP awards, you just gotta use em right. Can't expect to be on the 12:00pm direct from YVR-YYZ in J.
Old May 2, 17, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by curvenut View Post
What is the meanning of Y, J and F letter ??

Thanks
Y = Economy

J = Business

F = First
Old May 2, 17, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Mini-RTW

Here's mini-RTW I booked and then cancelled. I ended up re-booking this on United and ended up paying much more points for exact same flights. Brain fog.

BNE-BKK-DEL (Thai, Air India) Stop 1
DEL-MUC-IAD (Lufthansa, United) Stop 2
IAD-SFO-YVR (United) Stop 3
YVR-BNE (Air Canada)

90k points and ~$600 in taxes. I was naive, cancelled it and booked with United for 117.5k points and $200 in taxes. Should have stayed with Aeroplan.
Old May 3, 17, 7:03 am

Br35 yyz-tpe
Br255 tpe-dps stop

Sq949 dps-sin
Sq247 sin-mel turn

Tg466 mel-bkk stop

Br212 bkk-tpe
Br36 tpe-yyz

All in J.

CAD 433.86 taxes+ 33.90 call in + 160,000 aeroplan each for two
Old May 3, 17, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Nicely done on the AKL-BNE-YVR, as a SE100k the scam would've gone way down, but oh well.

I must be missing something though, you got 3 stopovers? AFAIK multi-city should only go Start-stopA-stopB-End with layovers of < 24 hours between intl cities.
it has always been a destination and 2 stops which is what I posted... MEL being the destination.

i mean... imho booking anything less is allowujg the enemy to win (:

Last edited by hearna; May 3, 17 at 7:49 am
Old May 3, 17, 5:04 pm

See hearna, I never knew that lol. I've always booked multi city, but based on the search engine (dunno why I've trusted that for anything) that it was A-stop-stop-A.

I'm glad to know I'll be even getting more out of these miles at some point. It's just hard to get enough time off.
Old May 4, 17, 5:29 pm

Programs: National EE
YYZ-LAX AC B789 J
LAX-ICN OZ A388 F
ICN-BKK TG B744 F (STOP)
BKK-SYD TG B744 F (Destination)

SYD-BKK TG B744 F (overnight in BKK)
BKK-HKG TG B744 F (9 hour layover HKG)
HKG-TPE BR A333 J (STOP)
TPE-NRT NH B763 J
NRT-SFO NH B773 F (12 hour layover SFO)
SFO-YYZ AC B763 J

220K miles plus taxes/fees: $1235 plus $30 booking fee

First attempt at booking one of these awards. While not technically a mini-RTW posting for the search results. Couldn't find anything that worked in F returning TATL so I booked TPAC both ways for now to lock something down.

Also attempted to replace the outbound stopover (ICN-BKK) with an open jaw (ICN-SIN) and to work in some SQ J but the agent said it was invalid. Likely since it was slightly over the MPM for YYZ-SYD of 15540.
Old May 4, 17, 9:09 pm

Programs: aeroplan, starwood, fairmont
Forgot to post - last summer (2016) family of 5 flew in J starting/ending in Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto:

YOW/YUL-YYZ AC J
YYZ-ICN (stop) AC J
ICN-PEK CA J
PEK-LHR (stop) CA J
LHR-YUL/YYZ AC J
YUL-YOW AC J

We were all together from YYZ to LHR.

The cost was 150,000 miles (Asia 1) plus $482 (primarily due to J fees at Heathrow). Two fares required $30 booking fee, and others were booked on the Aeroplan site.

nice. how far in advance did you book? all 5 at once?
Old May 4, 17, 9:12 pm

Programs: aeroplan, starwood, fairmont
Originally Posted by dlld2341 View Post
Forgot to post - last summer (2016) family of 5 flew in J starting/ending in Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto:

YOW/YUL-YYZ AC J
YYZ-ICN (stop) AC J
ICN-PEK CA J
PEK-LHR (stop) CA J
LHR-YUL/YYZ AC J
YUL-YOW AC J

We were all together from YYZ to LHR.

The cost was 150,000 miles (Asia 1) plus $482 (primarily due to J fees at Heathrow). Two fares required $30 booking fee, and others were booked on the Aeroplan site.
nice. how far in advance did you book? all 5 at once?
Old May 4, 17, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6 View Post
YYZ-LAX AC B789 J
LAX-ICN OZ A388 F
ICN-BKK TG B744 F (STOP)
BKK-SYD TG B744 F (Destination)

SYD-BKK TG B744 F (overnight in BKK)
BKK-HKG TG B744 F (9 hour layover HKG)
HKG-TPE BR A333 J (STOP)
TPE-NRT NH B763 J
NRT-SFO NH B773 F (12 hour layover SFO)
SFO-YYZ AC B763 J

220K miles plus taxes/fees: $1235 plus $30 booking fee
Very jealous, but man...I'd never be able to stomach the $1200. That's more than I spend on any of my revenue flights, but of course I'm 99% economy.

I will say though, closer in, like T-7, you might be able to find F space on Lufthy. Not sure what that'd do to your scamfees since you'd be trading out NH for LH, and they'd probably want $100 for changing your ticket, but it'd get you going the direction you wanted.

Search this Thread