Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada dropped the ball....BIG TIME!!!

Old Oct 28, 14, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*P, Priority Rewards Gold, Marriott Silver

Air Canada should be embarrassed

https://www.facebook.com/CHCHSuperst...60187550662442

Air Canada dropped the ball....BIG TIME!!! Read on...
My husband is a member of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada and is a comrade of Nathan Cirillo. Over the course of the last couple of days, there has been an outpouring of support shown from around the world to the Argylls and to the Cirillo family. As my husband said, it's overwhelming. However, there is a very well known CANADIAN company who refused to provide any assistance to an Argyll. A member of the Argyll Pipes & Drums had previously booked a flight with Air Canada that was scheduled to depart on Monday evening (Oct 27th). After the death of his friend, Nathan, this Argyll contacted Air Canada and explained how he is an active member with the Argylls and was asked to take part in the funeral service, therefore, he asked if there was any way he could delay his departure by one day. Air Canada obliged but only after informing him that there would be a $900 fee to do so. There were many calls placed to Air Canada by the regiment as well as by the upper echelon of the Canadian Military asking for their assistance but the airline stood firm on their $900 fee. Argyll members who WORK FOR Air Canada also tried to intervene but this fell on deaf company ears. How could Air Canada be so completely non-compassionate for the circumstances surrounding the request? I suppose the all mighty dollar is more important to Air Canada than supporting their own country through this tragedy. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!
How is it that WESTJET immediately offered to provide all travel needs to the family and for the regiment (at NO cost!) but Air Canada refused to do so without full payment????? How is it that there are businesses pouring support through the doors of the Armories and to the regiment / Cirillo family (Molson/Coors offering to cover all beverage needs, Fortinos offering to provide as many sandwich platters / food trays as possible, WestJet providing all travel arrangements, this is to name but a few and these companies came forward without being asked!) but Air Canada refuses to do so unless paid???? COMPLETELY DISRESPECTFUL, AIR CANADA! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!! You had every opportunity to show your patriotism and CANADIAN PRIDE but you blew it! I am completely and utterly disgusted and believe that this needs to be made public.
NO AIR CANADA....You don't deserve to hold "Canada" in your title nor should you boast OUR Canadian maple leaf in your logo and on your planes. Your actions in this situation are appalling! You are the furthest thing from an airline that Canadians should ever even consider using. I hope your greed will also be your demise. How is it that you are enforcing a fee during these times to a serving Argyll member and friend of the fallen soldier? I certainly hope that you will stand up and take immediate action to rectify the request and WAIVE your ridiculous fee!!! Do the right thing....."
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:15 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by UpInTheAirYYZ View Post
Air Canada should be embarrassed
Seeing as the OP posted only half of the story, and at the time of my original posting I was unable to view the Facebook posting due to computer restrictions, I feel it is appropriate and justified to withdraw my previous statement.

OP: UpInTheAirYYZ, you are new and were given the benefit of doubt on my part - that benefit no longer exists. I will be taking your postings with more than a grain of salt where appropriate.

Last edited by jaysona; Oct 28, 14 at 6:01 pm Reason: 'cause I was a d-bag for not performing proper fact checking.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:21 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Eating crow.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Oct 28, 14 at 5:44 pm
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
There has been cases where AC has gone out of its way to accommodate. - aka the 3 RCMP officers who died in Eastern Canada. IIRC those flights were free. Does that excuse the above? No, but I suspect it's the left hand not knowing where the right hand is. At least that's my take. If management were involved, i'm sure they'd jump at the oppty for free-ish publicity
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I hope this is picked up by the news stations.

You should clean it up a bit and send it out to all the media outlets.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Disgusting and quite sick, but not entirely surprising to anyone with Air Canada experience - they really don't care until they're forced to or sued, which is obviously not going to happen here.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
At the end of the day, at what point should an airline or hotel or manufacturer give something away for free though? Yes it's a sad day for Canadians but the optics of WS saying hey look we'll fly everyone for free seems like a PR move. Even when AC flew RCMP officers back and forth for free, I was sitting there going...well that's an interesting stunt...even if it is good hearted in nature, it costs a company and what does this say about ROI? It'd be high ROI to do something "good nature" and then tell the world, so is it really "charity" or a stunt?

If I were AC, I would have flown the family for free. Tell the world how awesome I was. Alas they didn't, hence now, this.

It'd be cheaper for AC/WS to do something nice than to do a PR move...
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Anyone remember this?
RCMP Regimental Funeral - Moncton Well done AC employees

I'd like to think this is something that slipped through the cracks. Both WS and AC have stepped up in the past in times like these.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Anyone remember this?
RCMP Regimental Funeral - Moncton Well done AC employees

I'd like to think this is something that slipped through the cracks. Both WS and AC have stepped up in the past in times like these.
that was in the past. with all the nickle and diming AC is doing these days along with their effort to not "cheapen" their cabins, it follows that they wouldnt budge on something like this
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Agree in defence AC did do it for the rcmp in the case of the tragedy in NB. And the hey have done it for me when I had a tragedy in my family.

To bad he got someone who didn't realize the situation properly.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Agree in defence AC did do it for the rcmp in the case of the tragedy in NB. And the hey have done it for me when I had a tragedy in my family.

To bad he got someone who didn't realize the situation properly.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
They did budge....waived the $900 fee two days ago...

Not sure why this is only coming on here today- nothing to see here.
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:05 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
From the AC FB page:

It has come to our attention that a post on Facebook containing erroneous information has been widely shared on social media creating confusion. As this relates to false accusations questioning Air Canada’s support of Canada’s military and our involvement in the travel arrangements for today’s funeral of Corporal Nathan Cirillo and his regiment members, we believe it is of the utmost importance that we provide you with the facts:

Air Canada is highly supportive of Canada's military and has had a longstanding relationship with the Canadian Forces. Throughout our history we have helped police and armed forces during times of national tragedy, and we continue to do so. In this instance, Air Canada did reach out to the highest levels of the Canadian military to offer assistance but none was required of us. Air Canada does not fly to Hamilton.

There has been some confusion and misinformation over the issue of one member of the military calling to change a ticket to Europe which had been booked prior to last week's tragic incident in Ottawa. He was to travel to France this week, which meant he would have missed the funeral today in Hamilton. He called our call centre to change his departure date by one day. Since he was in effect booking a new flight, the price of the ticket was higher as the new flight was considered a last minute booking. As soon as the details of his situation were brought to our attention on Sunday Oct. 26, we immediately waived the additional fees and changed the Paris flight ticket at no cost that same day. We regret this was not done at the outset.

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Corporal Cirillo on this sad day for all Canadians.
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:06 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
Anybody want to take their comments back?
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:09 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
There has been cases where AC has gone out of its way to accommodate. - aka the 3 RCMP officers who died in Eastern Canada. IIRC those flights were free. Does that excuse the above? No, but I suspect it's the left hand not knowing where the right hand is. At least that's my take. If management were involved, i'm sure they'd jump at the oppty for free-ish publicity
Taking the account at face value, it does seem that they have been contacted through multiple channels and still insist on being....Air Canada! Do you think it was top management at Westjet or all the other companies stepping up to the plate....?
If this blows up in the media they can release a weasel statement throwing some mid-level(s) under the bus....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: