Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Allow me to rant a little guys:
Are (you) people so stupid: "Oh great, AC/AP just announced some improvements to the program, I'm sure that will benefit us flyers, they must want to further reward our loyalty, as they love us so much." WRONG. How can one be so gullible? Oh, AP is "improving" their routing rules to allow computers to validate bookings? We sure don't want to over tax the poor call center agents. Those poor souls, having to check a table to make sure BKK-FRA isn't a Europe short haul reward, Bangkok sure does sound like the capital of Belgium right? Yeah, better have a computer do that, will benefit us all! WRONG. While we're at it, lets make the chart simpler, one mile=0.01$, much simpler for everyone to understand. That way ma and pa kettle can book their YXU-YYZ tix without having to fret about how many miles they'll need. Oh and you want to book FRA-BKK-NRT in F? Oh, that's about $15k so a smooth 1.5Mil miles, no biggie. Much easier for everyone am I right? You can even pick any day to travel, O is wide open! I wonder why?

If I hear any more crap from people spouting off how these changes will be great, or how we'd be better of with a WestJet style system, I'm going to loose it. No frikin news is great news. Anything else is BS that will cost us dearly. Mise well blow my miles before the 29th...

Hilarious. And thanks, I feel so much better now.

"Bangkok sure does sound like the capital of Belgium right?"
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:59 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I would like to book a ticket today.

Did you get any sense that complex routings were going to be declined?

I would like to travel MLE-YVR via India (stop) and Europe. My routing is under MPM5.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I would like to book a ticket today.

Did you get any sense that complex routings were going to be declined?

I would like to travel MLE-YVR via India (stop) and Europe. My routing is under MPM5.
I pulled off a circuitous routing 5M routing today. Had to go through a few agents, but ended up getting ticketed.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:31 pm

I have a ticket I booked as FRA-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ just over two weeks from now for Europe-NA mileage as it is within MPM5. Hoping to switch to LH F, would be a shame if I just missed the window by a day or two!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by tng11
I have a ticket I booked as FRA-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ just over two weeks from now for Europe-NA mileage as it is within MPM5. Hoping to switch to LH F, would be a shame if I just missed the window by a day or two!
You got to be pulling my leg?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
You got to be pulling my leg?
MPM5 allows you to route from Europe to North America via the Pacific. I've successfully flown FRA-ICN-JFK-YYZ in LH F/OZ F for 62.5K. This neat little trick is probably on its way out.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
well this is interesting. maybe it means i wont have to force my turn to be DPS so that i can fit in HNL within mpm for a trip to be booked next spring.

hope to hear more from ppl who will be booking under new rules as they become available crossing my fingers and hoping it might actually be a net benefit to most reasonable itineraries

it sounds to me that the changes signify a shift in the way they view the itinerary. instead of viewing it as X segments that happen to have 3 stops, it will be more like 3 stops with reasonable routing to connect them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I think the question is will we still be able to tell them which flights we want or just org/stop/dest and only be able to select the options the 'system' gives them.

I booked a mini-rtw tonight for next summer. Ironically it's the most direct one I've ever booked (yow-yul-ist-bkk(dest)-ist(stop)-yul-yow). I had a slightly different route but lost availability on one of my flights so had to modify it. Very simple route, to me anyway, and only $129 + phone booking fee, but the 2 agents I talked to could not verify if I would be able to book this tomorrow. Either they really aren't sure or didn't want to say, I'm not sure which.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:23 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Well, I did it.

Pulled the trigger on my third Mini RTW. Didn't want to wait for what could possibly be a future of "via Pacific Only", "via Atlantic only" or "no transiting other regions" similar to AAdvantage

Fed the usual segments to the agent and was ticketed without any issue.

Amazing that one unverified blog post from a single blogger can prompt several redemptions within 48 hrs. Either way, given the continuous bad news over the past 7 years, I didn't want to chance it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Spoke to an agent tonight who was downright hostile about the changes.

"Sir, you're not an Elite member, those members received notifications of the changes by mail. If you're not an Elite member, the changes are none of your concern".

Unfortunately ran out of time to HUCA, so hopefully they haven't just taken away my YUL-IST-Wherever Eurotrip for next fall.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:55 am

Looks like updates are coming to Aeroplan.com:

"Sorry

Our web site is down for routine maintenance and will be unavailable until 10:00 GMT.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Be sure to come back later and try again.

Thank you for your patience."
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:10 am

Pretty sure that's a regular/semi-regular thing and likely not related to the (rumoured) changes.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:52 am
alc

I just do a search for YYZ-HKG-CDG-YYZ for a random dates in April and it came up without issue as, so either (a) the changes doesn't affect Mini-RTW (b) the changes got delay

April 15 - YYZ-TPE-HKG (BR35-BR891)
April 22 - HKG-PEK-CDG (CA118-CA993)
April 29 - CDG-YYZ (AC881)

Tax:
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax $3.25
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91
China Airport Fee $16.20
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax $17.10
France Domestic & International Airport Tax $29.10
France International Passenger Service Charge $40.30
France Air Passenger Solidarity Tax $6.40
Fuel Surcharge $116.60
Surcharges $6.00
Total per passenger $285.86

$285.86
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:16 am

I don't think it's affected the mini-RTW much, but rather circuitous routings like the one tng and I like to book :P
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Just looked up YYZ-FRA-ICN-YYZ online on dates where there is availability, all direct except the last leg which is ICN-LAX-YYZ. It complains about it being over permissible mileage for the routing. YYZ-FRA-ICN is within MPM for YYZ-ICN, much less MPM5, and ICN-LAX-YYZ is over MPM but under MPM5, so not sure why it's complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.