Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Getting a new carry on - size questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35K, FPC Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold

My 15yr old American Tourister Carry-On is finally showing it's age and needs to be replaced. I want to be sure and get something that fits within the carry on size restrictions and is good quality. One frustrating issue I have found is the difference in carry-on sizing between AC and other carriers, especially United. AC is 21.5"x15.5"x9", while UA is 22"x14"x9". I travel both a fair bit.

I am having a hard time finding a decent bag that is 21.5"x14"... It seems most manufacturers are building 22" bags based on the US carrier limits. While it is nice that AC allows 15.5" of width, that is useless for me, as I am stuck with 14" for US carriers. It would be nice if all the *A carriers could standardize on one size.

Getting back to my hunt for a new bag, since I fly both AC and UA, I need a bag this is 21.5"x14"x9".

So far, the closest quality bag I have found is the Tumi Alpha 2 International Expandable, which is 21.75"x14"x9" or 56cm x 35.5cm x 23cm. This is fine for UA, but the height is 1cm taller than AC specs.

Does anybody know what the actual size of the AC baggage sizers is? is there one 1cm of allowance?

Any other suggestions for a high quality 2 wheel carry on that would be within legal dimensions for both AC and UA ?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Briggs and Riley domestic expandable. Yes, it fits in the sizer (at least the version older to the one it is selling now). International carry on might meet spec too, last i checked, for this year's version
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
There's a thread on UA carry-ons that has a pretty good list of bags that fit UA. You could start there and see which ones you like.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Here is the a link to a Costco Kirkland Signature I've had for 3 years. It's ballistic nylon, expandable, has a removable wardrobe and looks just like a TUMI. Wouldn't surpass me if it came from the same factory. It's travelled almost half a million miles with me and sometimes is expanded and checked in. Best bag and it's dimensions are within pretty well all airlines. You can't go wrong. i've recommended it to many other friends and travellers and all have had rave reviews about it.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa....11760915.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Briggs and Riley domestic expandable. Yes, it fits in the sizer (at least the version older to the one it is selling now). International carry on might meet spec too, last i checked, for this year's version
+1

I have both the old and new version and the updated model (U122X) will comply with AC, UA and LH.

Note that summary dimensions B&R lists is never with wheels & handles, but if you into specs it does. The U122X exterior dimensions are listed at 55.9 x 35.6 x 22.9cm

If you expand it then you'll have to check it, but otherwise it fits wheels first in every AC aircraft except for the CRJ (or sideways in a DH4 or E90 in Y). It also fits in the AC sizer (it's a tight squeeze, although I'd attribute that to AC's sizer design more than anything else)

Yes, technically this is 0.9cm too high but I don't think even AC with its carry-on checks and new Altitude program will force you to check this.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Best Carry-On which Fits into the AC sizer

Well 5 flights in the past two weeks and on 3 of these I have been forced to check my carry-on which has always been accepted in the past and gives me no problems on UA so guess it's time for a new piece of luggage.

I went shopping after work today and saw two models which looked interesting:
The Briggs & Riley U119CX http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U119CX and the Eagle Creek Tarmac 20 http://shop.eaglecreek.com/tarmac-20/d/1382_c_111

I quite liked the Briggs and Riley one, but the price is a tad turn off; though I'll pay if really worth it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these two or can recommend another good one which fits the dreaded AC sizer.

P.S. I know I could of posted this in the travel equipment forum, but given that it's AC specific I told myself I would get more feedback here.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Could you please post the dimensions of the AC sizer? I know the dimensions AC claims are acceptable, but I'd like to know what fits in the sizer. My Tumi Vapor just bit the dust and I'm looking at replacing it with either another Tumi Vapor ('cause it wasn't the Vapor's fault the bag died after about 400,000 miles of travel!) or a Rimowa.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Out of curiosity, what bag are you replacing?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer
Could you please post the dimensions of the AC sizer? I know the dimensions AC claims are acceptable, but I'd like to know what fits in the sizer. My Tumi Vapor just bit the dust and I'm looking at replacing it with either another Tumi Vapor ('cause it wasn't the Vapor's fault the bag died after about 400,000 miles of travel!) or a Rimowa.
21.5 x 15.5 x 9

Originally Posted by ffsim
Out of curiosity, what bag are you replacing?
Travelpro Maxlite 22
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Briggs and riley domestic carry on
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Briggs and riley domestic carry on
The baseline U122CX? That's gotta be a tight fit. Have you tried it?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
The baseline U122CX? That's gotta be a tight fit. Have you tried it?
It indeed does fit. I looove my bag!! (my bag is one older version though...). It does fit and some other fter who does have that bag (the new one) does say it fits.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC S100K
OP,

I have an older B&R that specs larger than U119CX. I've never regretted the price spent. It's well made and the warranty gives me a lot of confidence.

Having said that, I find myself travelling more often with my RedOxx Airboss.

I figure the next luggage enforcement will be the 10kg, so the lower starting weight of the shoulder bag appeals.

Both are excellent bags.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:30 pm

It indeed does fit. I looove my bag!! (my bag is one older version though...). It does fit and some other fter who does have that bag (the new one) does say it fits.
Strange I tried that one at the store and I could not fit it within the sizer. Was a few mm too large. Hmm...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eternity000
Strange I tried that one at the store and I could not fit it within the sizer. Was a few mm too large. Hmm...
Push hard. I use all my weight haha. But I do get it to fit!! (the older version). The newer version that is being mentioned = ask some other Fter. It's been shared that it does fit. (with force)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.