Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Getting a new carry on - size questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a new carry on - size questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Push hard. I use all my weight haha. But I do get it to fit!! (the older version). The newer version that is being mentioned = ask some other Fter. It's been shared that it does fit. (with force)
hahaha I'll give it a try. Didn't want to get dirty looks shoving too hard at the store though.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
You are basically limited to this one:

Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by Tangoer
You are basically limited to this one:

Is there an Air Canada branded version?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eternity000
21.5 x 15.5 x 9
That's exactly what AC says on their web site:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html

Why have people in various threads about the AC luggage crack-down been claiming the sizer is smaller than the stated dimensions? Wish I brought a tape measure with me today!

Last edited by CanuckFlyer; Nov 5, 2014 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Is there an Air Canada branded version?
This is one of those, LOL and 7up on my keyboard again. Thanks for the post
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is one of those, LOL and 7up on my keyboard again. Thanks for the post
Dude... you drink 7up in the morning? Gotta get you on something stronger
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Dude... you drink 7up in the morning? Gotta get you on something stronger
Hahhaa, that's for later!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've used the B&R Domestic carry-on (non-expandable) for a couple of years now and never had an issue here, in the US or Europe. It's not cheap, but after four years the bag still looks and works as good as the day I brought it home. Worth every penny, IMHO.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...5&col=baseline
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I went shopping after work today and saw two models which looked interesting:
The Briggs & Riley U119CX http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U119CX and the Eagle Creek Tarmac 20 http://shop.eaglecreek.com/tarmac-20/d/1382_c_111

I quite liked the Briggs and Riley one, but the price is a tad turn off; though I'll pay if really worth it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these two or can recommend another good one which fits the dreaded AC sizer.
I have the Briggs and Riley U119CX. It fits the AC sizer with room to spare providing you don't have the front pocket too stuffed. To me it is worth the sacrifice in space to not have to check.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I have gone through so many carry on's through the years. Simply put I don't not check luggage other than maybe once a year. I travel to Europe and Asia with a carryon to max of 9 days. So 2 years ago I invested in a Rimowa Sala Air 4 wheel roller that's 100% IATA carryon Compatible. It fit every single plane. Weights 5.2lbs empty. Yes it's very expensive but cost average after 175 miles a year I firmly can say it's worth its weight in gold. After using all others mentioned here in these thread. I have fully become a Rimowa Brand Ambassador

Last edited by Silvercity; Nov 5, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Make sure you look at other airlines restrictions. UA size limit is narrower (14" but their sizers are 15"). AC is 15.5". My Samsonite is 14.1" but hasn't been a problem on UA since their sizers are big (that is the flexibility that works for me!).

UA is 22" tall but AC is only 21.5 so I opt for 20 or 21" bags to play it safe.

Both UA and AC are 9" depth.

AC sizers seem tight and maybe that is because they are sized "right" as opposed to UA's which are sized "sensibly" to accommodate handles, small bulges etc. even though UA's stated sizes are supposed to include handles and wheels.

I don't think there is a good rollerboard bag manufactured today that doesn't slightly exceed someone's dimensions though, e.g. my .1" transgression in width (without handles--would be more over with handles) just because of some hard edge finish.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:25 am

Well 5 flights in the past two weeks and on 3 of these I have been forced to check my carry-on which has always been accepted in the past and gives me no problems on UA so guess it's time for a new piece of luggage.

I went shopping after work today and saw two models which looked interesting:
The Briggs & Riley U119CX http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U119CX and the Eagle Creek Tarmac 20 http://shop.eaglecreek.com/tarmac-20/d/1382_c_111

I quite liked the Briggs and Riley one, but the price is a tad turn off; though I'll pay if really worth it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these two or can recommend another good one which fits the dreaded AC sizer.

P.S. I know I could of posted this in the travel equipment forum, but given that it's AC specific I told myself I would get more feedback here.
I got that Briggs and Riley a few months ago....I love it...unexpanded it fit the AC gate-sizer no problem.....I think it will fit the sizer when expanded but might be a tad tight.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

However, please note to all that the domestic carry on (which is expandable) will definitely not fit in the sizer expanded That I have tried...lol
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:09 am
Suspended

According to two pilots the AC supplied staff carry ons are not to regulation size.

If true that would be quite funny.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
There's a thread on UA carry-ons that has a pretty good list of bags that fit UA. You could start there and see which ones you like.
Any idea what to search for? I've been flipping through 2 UA sizer threads and haven't really found much talk about baggage brands. I wanna get a new one (hard shell though) that'll fit the UA standards since they are smaller than AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.