Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ddonohoe
I'm E50 this year, but started crediting to M+ mid-year. I've always have the M+ number on my boarding pass ever since, but the Aeroplan *G card gets me into any *A lounge. When flying AC (rarer these days) I priority boarded by flashing my Aeroplan card, and had no problems. When flying UA, I just sucked it up until I hit 25K, at which point you get premier access.
Thanks - Did you try to get into any United Clubs with your E50 *G card with a MP boarding pass?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Flying from YEG intl I am pretty stuck, but I will be looking around for sure. Perhaps just suck up Tango Y and go with LMUs if the urge takes me. Well done AC, converted a regular Lat traveller into a Tango customer. Well played.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Planning to leave.

I'm based in Asia, only flying 1-2 trips to NA, not really possible for me to re-qualify the E50K by end of next year, probably will choose SQ later.

BTW, if I'm *G in AC, and I use my SQ membership for future *A flights (I guess most likely will be NH/OZ/SQ), am I still able to have lounge access by showing the AC E50K card?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
I'm still trying to decide, and I wish I flew more frequently on the Virgin America routings but I don't. I'm still evaluating options and might join another Star Alliance Gold program just to keep that option open as SFO is a UA hub and I'll take the free bags, United Club access and Group 2 boarding over nothing else for the times i do travel UA.

I'm positive that for this year I've flown 50K on AC metal, but I know in the past I've done a chunk on SQ on TPAC routes. That new hurdle could be problematic but it will all depend on how I travel.

I'm an SFO-based SE for the past 8 years. I fly at least 10-15x yearly to YYZ, for personal travel mostly (family all reside in Ontario, and I do other personal business their for some volunteer/non-profit projects). Also in BC and PQ regularly, so the direct routes from SFO have always been beneficial. With 4 daily direct flights to YYZ/from YYZ, it often makes for easy travel planning (I've spent too much time on AC738/739 this year).

Domestic travel I've always suffered on UA to collect miles, but the change to fares this year left me asking if I was being smart with my money just to make status.

I used to travel a lot for work, especially Australia and Europe, so making SE was easy. I'm now self-employed and figured I wouldn't make SE status, but my travel frequency seemed to stay the same and I will be SE again.

I have to figure if I should just enjoy the next year as SE and then become a non-status traveler after 2016, or attempt a status match. I'll always be able to attain 50K due to personal travel and some business, but SE for 2016 will depend on business and clients.

I haven't sat in Y on AC metal in over 6 years due to upgrades (75%) and Z fares and the SE upgrade window, as well as tools like KVS to find R space and Lat fares.

IKK the partner at least 2-4x per year for vacations and Xmas holidays with my family, we usually use YYZ of YVR as our connection hub to where we are going, and the inventory is easy to access (but the taxes are a PITA to pay for).

I'm not sure the grass is "greener" elsewhere based on my own individual travel patterns, but I can definitely see why others are leaving.

Time for status matching research to commence!

Good luck to everyone with their choices, and I hope that you're happy with were you end up. It is your $$ (or your company's) and your time, so it should spent in a way that benefits you the most.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Gone gone gone. But I was specifically directed to this thread by a coworker who I am being a bad influence on in terms of FFPs, and the question was asked about already gone...

Happily crediting to A3, and even with their big changes next month I should easily be able to maintain with them. Switched all my US travel to UA (as bad as it is, it's no Rouge), Asian travel is probably going to switch over to NH/BR, or maybe even stick with AC if I have to - depending on the fare (and no HD Y). European travel will probably go all LH. Overall, I've had a much more relaxing year being able to book dirt cheap T fares, switch up carriers, and just take it easy.

Domestically... might stick with AC. Might not. But it will definitely be lowest possible fares every time.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Neither.

My travel is almost exclusively domestic with the occasional transborder or international hop. I'll plan to close out 2014 with AC but starting January 1 I'll simply pick the lowest fare at the flight time that best suits my needs.

One thing is for certain, I won't be shelling out for Flex fares on <500 mile flights on Jazz any longer.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Already left for UA and AS.

I left back in the spring when they rouged YVR-LAX and YVR-SFO. I am UA silver because of Marriott Plat and did a status match to Alaska MVP Gold. Both programs automatically put me on an upgrade list and my upgrade record has been good so far.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Neither.

My travel is almost exclusively domestic with the occasional transborder or international hop. I'll plan to close out 2014 with AC but starting January 1 I'll simply pick the lowest fare at the flight time that best suits my needs.

One thing is for certain, I won't be shelling out for Flex fares on <500 mile flights on Jazz any longer.
+1
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by gglave
As a result of the recent changes, I'm going to move my business over to United, but as I've worked hard in C2014 to earn 2015 AC E50 I'd like to use those benefits while I'm flying UA in C2015 earning (hopefully) status with UA for 2016.

Has anyone figured out the logistics of how that works?

For example, if I'm flying YVR -> ORD -> MIA then I'll need my AC number on the BP to get the privileges, both at YVR and en-route at ORD (lounges, early boarding) but then I won't earn United MileagePlus miles.

I've heard you can just flash your card but with conflicting numbers on your bookings I've heard that's a problem...? (AC on card, MP on boarding pass with no "Premier Access" displayed?)

I know I could attempt a Status Challenge, but most of my earning is in Q2 and Q3 so that likely wouldn't work.

Thanks.
So.. I did this change earlier this year.. Always put your UA M+ on your tickets, then use your AP Card for Lounge access and Boarding. ONLY ONE PROBLEM EVER @SFO, Using ?France? lounge because AC was renovating.. and denied Access because AC boarding pass Had UA*S. (I went to Gate, changed Miles from UA to AC 75K and went back - to spite them - and got access (Also enjoyed the last eUpgrade I will probably ever use)). As for boarding, I think 80% it just is for honest people and they never really check your group anyway... but, have your AC AP card ready until you get a UNited Card.

UA changed to $$$ value X Multimpler.. starting fresh = no multipler so I would seriously try for a challenge to get some sort of status on UA asap. Not sure how UA will be for a No-Status person trying to earn miles...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I'm likely leaving, but will still have some AC travel (I will have lifetime *G crossing 1MM in November). I'll burn the e-ups on a longhaul, and do all NA travel likely on Delta with a status match (applied today). Was DL G before, and could get to Diamond, so I'm curious what that would be like. I feel strangely liberated!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by CARose
^Many thanks for this detailed correspondence. I sent you a PM. One question related to #2 - Does that agent have to enter the numbers or is this something you can do on-line in your reservation?
Hi CARose,
I found your PM. I'll try to find the original link to the process and will PM you. However, so there is no confusion, I was never successful in finding an AC agent who could or would do those steps. Some tried and said that their screens didn't show the same boxes. Others refused and said outright that it was not only impossible but that they didn't believe UA could or would do it. In YQR AC does the check in for UA and they said it was the UA software they were using, so go figure.

Once we figured out we could change it at a UA lounge we stopped bothering TBH. In the UA lounges they understood what we wanted right away, did it with a smile in about 15-20 seconds, and expressed both amusement and indeed bemusement that AC couldn't do this. Same with TG in both BKK and HKT. No problems doing it at check in there.

As for preboarding, with the UA number entered we would be Boarding Group 4 or 5 on our BP , but we boarded showing our AC card when they called *G without once being questioned or raising an eyebrow.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
definitely leaving

Next year will be my last year as SE. I would have stayed if their prices ARE competitive. But it is not in the routes ive taken ( 7 long haul intl. trips just with AC alone this year).

2015, switching my alliance to CX onworld for my tpac/latam flights. And to EY or EK for my asia to europe flights. Much cheaper on J over AC and *A.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Already left for UA 1K. UA has wi-fi on so many planes, it's refreshing to have consistent access to the internet, or be able to book a route that does.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Member

Departed for DL 2 years ago, and then to Amtrak.

My comments? Comments here!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Happily crediting to A3, and even with their big changes next month I should easily be able to maintain with them
Spent a few minutes with the A3 FAQs today and still couldn't quite figure out what the 'big changes' are that are coming. Can you elaborate?

I live in Vancouver. Going to move most of my business from AC to UA, but can't decide whether to join UA or A3's program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.